The Deltics a Symposium says this about the prototype:Ok, how were they constructed?
In design and construction the prototype Deltic was not, in fact, all that remarkable except for the engines. The steel superstructure was a welded one piece load bearing structure already used for several export designs.
Webb's English Electric Main Line Diesel Locomotives of British Rail says this about the EE Type 4s:
The design bears a strong family resemblance to 10203 ... and also a 2000hp type built by English electric for Rhodesia.
The underframe is welded up from rolled steel sections as a single stressed unit.
I can't find anything specific in either source to confirm this but I think that you are right.I'm sure Deltics had a stressed skin bodywork and this was load bearing whereas a lot of early diesels were based on steam technology with strength in the frame and, hence, high weight.