• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Uno day ticket issued by Centrebus refused by Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
Hello all,

I'd appreciate some advice please. Today I travelled from Dunstable to Barnet and back, using Centrebus 34 Dunstable to St Albans, then Uno 602 St Albans to Hatfield, and Uno 614 Hatfield to Barnet.

On the Centrebus website, it advertises the following ticket:

http://www.centrebus.info/Pages/Tickets.aspx


Uno Day Ticket

On routes 34 and 46, you can buy a through ticket onto the Uno Bus network, allowing you to transfer buses at Redbourn for a journey forward to Harpenden or Wheathampstead, or at St Albans for a journey through to Hatfield, Watford or London Colney, for example. This ticket, priced at £5, offers unlimited travel for the day on routes 34, 46, and the entire Uno Bus network for the day (but not on other Centrebus services - for this, please buy an explorer.

On the ticket itself, it says:

Valid on all Uno services and Centrebus services 34 and 46 on day of issue. The ticket type is shown as Adult Uno Day.


So, I bought this ticket as advertised, being a bargain, as the cost of a return on the 34 alone is £6, and the Uno day ticket if bought on a Uno bus is also £6. When I boarded the 602 at St Albans, the driver looked at it for around a minute then said he'd never seen one before. Never-the-less, he accepted it without further comment.

On the next bus, the 614, the driver was not prepared to be so accommodating, and said that Centrebus should not be issuing a ticket valid on another operator's network, as Uno is not getting any of the revenue. I replied that I was sure that there was an agreement between the two companies to divide the revenue. He agreed with that, but said that he would still have to get clarification from control as to whether he could accept the ticket. I then took a seat, and after a few seconds he drove off, not yet having contacted control.

On the bus back from Barnet two hours later, the driver refused to accept the ticket, saying that drivers had been told not to accept them, as someone that morning had tried to use one. I said that that was probably me, and he said that I would have to buy a new ticket. So I had to buy a new Uno day ticket for £6.

I wish to complain and claim my money back, but I don't know what my (statutory) rights are.

If Centrebus were right to sell me a ticket which they advertise as being valid on Uno's network (albeit at a rate which undercuts Uno's own ticket), then I should presumably be claiming £6 back from Uno, as they refused to accept a valid ticket. If Centrebus were wrong, selling a ticket which Uno have no agreement with them to accept, then I should presumbably be claiming £5 back from them instead.

So, who do I complain to? Centrebus, Uno, or both?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,892
Location
South Wales
Send letters to both operators together with a copy of the advert if you possibly can.

You can also send a copy to passenger focus.
 

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
I wish it were that simple!

The Uno driver refused to accept the Centrebus-issued ticket after being instructed by control that the ticket was not to be accepted. This implies that the driver was not in error; if he was then drivers would have been instructed to accept it.

Given that the ticket has been advertised at £5 (undercutting Uno by £1) for several years on the Centrebus website, I suspect that the agreement between the two operators had ended at some point in the past, presumably before Uno's price increased to £6, and Centrebus has simply forgotten to withdraw the ticket from sale.

When Grant Palmer withdrew from issuing and accepting the Hip Hop ticket, which was valid on Grant Palmer, Arriva, and Centrebus in the Luton and Dunstable area, Centrebus took some time to amend publicity, and old notices advertising validity on all three operators can still be seen on Centrebus vehicles even now. (Since the opening of the Luton and Dunstable Busway, Grant Palmer is accepting the Hip Hop on Route C only.)
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,340
Check the advert wording carefully. If you think it is misleading, report your problem and send a copy of the advert to the trading standards office covering the area. Some misleading adverts can be illegal, but it needs a legal expert to examine the facts.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
In this case I think you should complain to Uno in the first place, who are then at liberty to take the matter up with Centrebus if they felt it necessary.

Passenger Focus/London Travelwatch may need to get involved too, should this get nowhere. I suspect that this falls under the jurisdiction of the latter.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,741
Location
Yorkshire
In this case I think you should complain to Uno in the first place, who are then at liberty to take the matter up with Centrebus if they felt it necessary.

Passenger Focus/London Travelwatch may need to get involved too, should this get nowhere. I suspect that this falls under the jurisdiction of the latter.

As the ticket was bought outside London and most of the journeys were outside London, I suspect not.
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I stand corrected.

That was the map I consulted, obviously without realising the difference between rail and bus.
 

lightbulb

Member
Joined
15 May 2010
Messages
452
I sent a formal complaint to Uno, with photocopies of both tickets, and a print of Centrebuses website advertising the ticket, on Monday 17th February, but have heard nothing. How long should I leave it before following it up?
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,045
Location
Yorkshire
I sent a formal complaint to Uno, with photocopies of both tickets, and a print of Centrebuses website advertising the ticket, on Monday 17th February, but have heard nothing. How long should I leave it before following it up?

I'd be inclined to put a call in on Tuesday
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top