• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

University - Meeting People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Ok

So it turns out that we all start back at uni on the 28th

Fair enough, we're all a bit nervous etc, looking forward to it none the less...

However, it dawned on me today... That although, i'm going to uni, I know NOBODY =|

This for me... is quite scary... Considering that my mates know people already - because they know who's living in their flats etc with them... I'm staying at home first year, due to numerous reasons...

But my question is...

Is there a way to get to know people before you start??

Or do you just make the most of Freshers week ??
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...erm not really. I went to uni knowing no one, arrived and met my flatmates there - and coursemates first day of uni. also don't expect to make friends, in a class of 30 (small art and design college) in my case, you can't expect necesarily find someone you'll really gel with. theres people I get on with on my course, but not any I would necessarily call friends...
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
I spoke to 2 (out of 8) people that I lived with in halls on Facebook beforehand but really that isn't essential - you'll get to know most people anyway. I'm glad I lived in halls as that is where I met most of my friends but I also know people who only spend time with people off their course or from groups they've joined (eg. LGB, computer club or whatever).

Bear in mind that most people will probably live in halls so many events will be geared to take people back there afterwards. You'll get to know most people from sessions before going out anyway but even if you miss freshers' week and just go to the fair and join groups you'll get along fine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also that I thought I'd add I've just finished my first year and it went very quick. Is anyone else here at/going to Uni and what are you doing?

I'm at Aston in Birmingham doing Transport Management.
 

O L Leigh

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2006
Messages
5,609
Location
In the cab with the paper
Most other people will be in exactly the same boat as you, so just get stuck in with Freshers events. You'll meet a LOT of people over the first month or two of term and from those people you'll work out who to keep as friends and who to discard.

O L Leigh
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I lived in halls and it was good for meeting people. My flatmates hailed from as far North as Aberdeen and as far South as Exeter, all places in between, and a foreign student from Hong Kong; and that's only two of the flats in that block.

That said, I also met a lot of people on my course. The way my course is taught is largely in small groups, so you do get to know people easier than on a traditional lecture based course, but you will still meet people on the course through any tutorial sessions.

Enjoy Fresher's Week. It's crazy, but most people are in the same situation as you, so everyone (at Glasgow at least) goes out of their way to get to know as many people as possible. I must have met, literally, hundreds of people at Fresher's Week. Probably never saw most of them again, but I did meet them. As Mojo said, the Fresher's Week is largely aimed at people in the halls (who're new to the city/town for the most part). The only thing is to expect a lot of 3am finishes; again, easier in halls than living at home.

Strangely enough, two people on my course were at school with me and were largely in the same classes for the last couple of years. I actually speak to them a lot less than I had expected, and I know so many other people as well.

Not everyone you meet is going to be your best friend for the rest of your life, but given the size of most universities, you should have no problem meeting people you can at least get on with and chat to.
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
However, it dawned on me today... That although, i'm going to uni, I know NOBODY =|

You say that but you may bump into someone you know, when I started college on tuesday I knew noone then my mate came in, did know he was doing it, you`ll make friends soon I got speaking to someone new yestoday


all the best of luck! :D


Ian
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Goodness, I wish I was starting Uni again!!

When I did go, a couple of school friends went with me, although as it turns out, we ended up not seeing eachother that much as we were in separate colleges and we developed our own circles of friends anyway. I found even just hanging around in the communal kitchen helped this.

Best of luck everyone - you'll love it :)
 

Aussie_Rail

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
560
Location
London, Great Britain!
This is something I thought about too before I started uni back in March. For me I knew no one there, until I saw someone that I know through Scouting, so my friend count there was 1.

But as I enrolled as a mature age student I met a few people at the orientation and so now my friend count is about 5 or 6, which isn't to bad considering. I expected to make many many more friends there, but apparently 25 is considered too old and so most young people don't want to know you. So all my friends are around my age or older.
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
Just jump into Freshers with both feet.

I went to Uni for a year and it turned out to be a nice break but learning about road bumps and stuff really wasn't for me (transport management Loughborough) and planning traffic calming so I jacked it in. Loved the place and the people though and it was well worth it.

It's one of those things where you have to properly go for it to get the most out of it. And don't give it up unless you have a good exit plan - I did that and spent a few months on JSA before finally landing on my feet as it were.
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
Ok

So it turns out that we all start back at uni on the 28th

Fair enough, we're all a bit nervous etc, looking forward to it none the less...

However, it dawned on me today... That although, i'm going to uni, I know NOBODY =|

This for me... is quite scary... Considering that my mates know people already - because they know who's living in their flats etc with them... I'm staying at home first year, due to numerous reasons...

But my question is...

Is there a way to get to know people before you start??

Or do you just make the most of Freshers week ??

There is the UCAS forum, which you can use to meet new people or people on your course.
You could also try and find a forum related to your Uni, and talk to people on there. ;)

And as others before me have said, I would just jump straignt into Freshers' week and go for it. I'm lucky to have a couple of close friends going to the same Uni, so I'm OK there. I would suggest going out, have a few drinks, getting a bit tipsy and get talking to people. You'll soon make friends...:)
 

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,244
Location
Umeå, Sweden
My piece of advice? Don't expect to stay best friends forever with the people you meet in the first few weeks. In fact I don't think I even stayed in touch with them after the first semester. The true, long lasting friends you have more in common with emerge over time as you get into work, activities etc.

It deeply saddens me, however, that so many British universities (including my alma mater Sheffield) have gone down the road of closing down their own halls of residence, and passed the buck onto the private sector. Firms like Unite are making a killing out of the privatised halls business, charging a fortune for soulless and tiny shared flats. The worst part is that they have no real communal facilities to speak of. They advertise their spacious kitchens, gyms and pools etc etc etc, but halls of residence are frankly better with canteen cooking, shabby TV lounges and (most importantly) your own bar. None of us loved the cooking in our university hall, but because it was there morning and night we used it and socialised with people far beyond those on our corridor or in our cluster. Plus the bar meant we could pad down in slippers even if we weren't going out that night.

So, sorry to be an old grump, but don't let the closed-in world of your student flat get you down. And remember that you will have more free time in your first year than you could dream of later on, so get to the freshers or activities fair and choose one or two things you would really like to do (don't get carried away, one or two is more than enough). Editing the student newspaper was my first year bit-on-the-side, and it was a blast.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
freshers week is good for meeting people but I had more friends from Hall of Residence than anything else, not even from my course.

mini-John Lennon, where are you now?
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
2,999
Location
Cambridge
Spend as much time in your kitchen as possible, go to as many events as possible, just bite the bullet and talk to people in the bars and the SU, especially in the first couple of nights. Because everyone is in the same boat.

Join as many clubs as you can at the Freshers' Fair. You won't stick with many actively but they don't cost much.

And after the first couple of nights, the question "What A levels did you do" STOPS being acceptable! But until then, it's a slightly cringey but perfectly passable opening gambit!
 

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2009
Messages
2,244
Location
Umeå, Sweden
Oh, and make especial friends with international students. 1) they will probably feel even more confused and out of place than you, but more importantly 2) it is unbelievably useful and fun to have friends in faraway places. I made such good friends with a Canadian friend at university I ended up moving there for my own exchange year.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Spend as much time in your kitchen as possible, go to as many events as possible, just bite the bullet and talk to people in the bars and the SU, especially in the first couple of nights. Because everyone is in the same boat.

Join as many clubs as you can at the Freshers' Fair. You won't stick with many actively but they don't cost much.

And after the first couple of nights, the question "What A levels did you do" STOPS being acceptable! But until then, it's a slightly cringey but perfectly passable opening gambit!

I'm not staying in accomodation though =/

But yeah... Getting drunk sounds like a good plan... I feel i'm going to have to have a few glasses or shots of something before I do anything... That always helps!!

Ta peepz =)
 

monkey

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2009
Messages
431
Location
Leeds
...I hated freshers. its just annoying, everywhere is too busy - and erggh just avoided it...
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
Best piece of advice I think I can give is realise that the friends you make in first term probably wont be your friends next term. It takes a while for everything to settle down, and you'll see them in the pub in a years time, exchange an awkward hello etc.

But do jump in, it's the only way. And I think "treat neighbour as you would yourself" is the truest it ever can be when you're a student.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top