• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unite Union on the Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Recognition of Unite representation will depend on company and local procedures.

I do not know any Unite members at my (railway) employer and can’t say they are recognised in the crew grades or any others I know of.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Recognition of Unite representation will depend on company and local procedures.

I do not know any Unite members at my (railway) employer and can’t say they are recognised in the crew grades or any others I know of.

There are some in NR, apparently.
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,311
I think many of the engineering / maintenance staff have ended up in Unite as a result of various mergers.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
There are some in NR, apparently.

Apologies, I meant to emphasise that this is within grades at the company I work for, rather than all companies as a whole.

(I believe our engineering grades are at least partly represented by RMT, amongst those who hold any union membership.)
 

ten7

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2017
Messages
154
I think many construction company staff working on the railway are Unite members but I don’t know if they're considered to be part of the rail industry?
 

alxndr

Established Member
Joined
3 Apr 2015
Messages
1,694
I spoke to some people representing Unite once, and they said that they did have some members from the railway, but I've never actually come across anyone. Everyone I know is primarily RMT, although a few are TSSA or have been.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
I'd imagine (but don't know) that the majority of unite members were likely to be in more head office type roles that are not unique to the railway or transport industries (HR, Customer Services, Social Media, marketing)
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Metrolink is Unite..waste of space..would love one of the rail unions in its place

They need to go. RMT is ideal but their RO in Liverpool blocked Metrolink applications. Some pathetic gentlemen's agreement between unions.

Change needs to happen, and the RMT's collusion with Unite is undemocratic, practically crooked.
 

ten7

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2017
Messages
154
I would have thought Unite would be a strong union since they are the largest union in the country.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top