• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Unintentional fare evasion - will I receive a letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb413

New Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
whitechapel
I am an Australian student currently in the UK. I took the DLR recently. I’m not familiar with the DLR (I might not have ever taken it before, and if I have I've probably only tapped upon exit which I now know charges me the max), and genuinely forgot to tap my card in (the people in front of me did not do so). On my exit, I realised my error when I saw a row of inspectors before the tapping out terminal, and turned back to the trains to find a place to tap my card in. He took this as my trying to avoid him, even though I responded to all his inquiries and was not walking away from the station, rather walking back to find a place to tap my card in. He asked me for an address to send a letter to. As I was leaving the UK and going home the following week, as that is when I stop renting my current accommodation, and gave him an address I used to rent from a relative, as I would not be able to access my current address very soon. I gave him my details and didn't really explain myself as I thought I deserved a fine as I didn't pay the fare even though I didn't intend to fare evade. I later realised that I might have to appear in court, and went back and told him this, but he said he had sent it to TFL already.

I have genuinely never fare evaded (which I'm sure everyone says but in my case it's actually true). I sent a letter to TFL expressing this, and attaching my bank statement which shows frequent and numerous transactions to TFL (I realised here that I've spent a ridiculous amount of money on TFL the past academic year- over 500 pounds!). I also said I would be willing to state this upon pain of perjury. If anyone cares, the reason why I didn't tell him this at the time is that I have severe depression and before this interaction was thinking about throwing myself in front of the tracks. I was pretty numb when speaking to the fare inspector but of course was polite and wished him a nice day. I know that TFL takes this into account in their decision to prosecute, but I wouldn't want them to not prosecute me just because of this, but rather because I've actually paid every fare prior.

I'm leaving the UK soon. My concern is that as my relative’s place is currently under rent, I may not be able to receive the letter (although I have contacted the management company to ask the tenant to pay attention to this matter). In addition, I'm not even sure whether they might send a letter (the fare inspector said this may not necessarily be the case). If I do receive it, I might not be able to appear in court.

I've written to TFL through an enquiry to discuss this. Are there any other steps I should take?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Welcome to the forum!

Were you given any paperwork by the inspector who stopped you? If so can you upload a redacted copy of it in this thread.

You also say you've written to TfL but was this in response to a letter they've sent you? Or was it just a general email or webform to their customer services department? If it was an email or webform then I doubtit wil get to the investigations and appeals team and even if it does did you give them a case reference number so they know what case it relates to?

You will need to wait for their letter and then reply to it. This is likely to be sent in the next couple of weeks. It is important that you are able to access this letter and you need to take steps to ensure you can get hold of it.

Once the letter arrives upload a redacted copy of it in this thread and we can then advise next steps.
 

jb413

New Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
whitechapel
Welcome to the forum!

Were you given any paperwork by the inspector who stopped you? If so can you upload a redacted copy of it in this thread.

You also say you've written to TfL but was this in response to a letter they've sent you? Or was it just a general email or webform to their customer services department? If it was an email or webform then I doubtit wil get to the investigations and appeals team and even if it does did you give them a case reference number so they know what case it relates to?

You will need to wait for their letter and then reply to it. This is likely to be sent in the next couple of weeks. It is important that you are able to access this letter and you need to take steps to ensure you can get hold of it.

Once the letter arrives upload a redacted copy of it in this thread and we can then advise next steps.
Thanks for the response. Sorry for the hassle.Is it likely that the letter will be sent? I've informed the current tenant but obviously there may be omissions there. Regardless I won't be in the UK at the time if/when I receive a letter. Are there any further steps I should take?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
if your details were taken I think you need to assume a letter will be sent.

If you've not had any contact before you leave the UK then you could email TfL's Investigations, Appeals and Prosecutions team at IAP@tfl.gov.uk advising them of your updated contact details but you would need to give them as much detail as posible to be able to match your details up with your case.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,362
Thanks for the response. Sorry for the hassle.Is it likely that the letter will be sent? I've informed the current tenant but obviously there may be omissions there. Regardless I won't be in the UK at the time if/when I receive a letter. Are there any further steps I should take?
You should set up a Royal Mail postal redirect to an address (ideally in the UK as it is more reliable) where someone you trust can monitor the post for you when it is received at the re-directed address, then they can open it, scan any post and e-mail it to you so that you can act on it as necessary.

See the Royal Mail website for how to set up a redirect which you need to do a week or a few days ahead of when you want it to commence.

I would not rely on the next tenant to forward on post for you, or the landlord or the letting agent.

It is vital you receive any post sent to you about this if you want to avoid the risk of the matter escalating which would ultimately be to court.


EDIT - I see hadders has just given you contact details about giving them change of postal address / contact details which may solve the problem (bear in mind they stop hundreds of people every day for these sorts of ticket issues so them being able to matching the case is vital - tell them things like date, location, approx time stopped, plus your full name, the address you gave them, date of birth, and ref numbers you were given etc)
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
You should set up a Royal Mail postal redirect to an address (ideally in the UK as it is more reliable) where someone you trust can monitor the post for you when it is received at the re-directed address, then they can open it, scan any post and e-mail it to you so that you can act on it as necessary.

See the Royal Mail website for how to set up a redirect which you need to do a week or a few days ahead of when you want it to commence.

I would not rely on the next tenant to forward on post for you, or the landlord or the letting agent.
That will be difficult, as the OP presumably won't have the proof of address needed to set up a redirect.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
I don't normally advocate contacting a train company before they write to you but in this case I see little alternative.

I agree with @island that setting up a mail redirection will be difficult because the address given isn't somewhere you're currently living
I also agree with @WesternLancer that you should give as much detail as possible so that they can match up your case.
 

jb413

New Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
whitechapel
I appreciate the response of everyone here, and I am grateful for the help. Should I contact a solicitor for this?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Only you can decide whether to involve a solicitor but if it was me I would contact TfL as per my suggestion above and see what response you get. If you don't get a satistactory reply then that is when I would consider using a solicitor.
 

jb413

New Member
Joined
22 Jun 2025
Messages
4
Location
whitechapel
Only you can decide whether to involve a solicitor but if it was me I would contact TfL as per my suggestion above and see what response you get. If you don't get a satistactory reply then that is when I would consider using a solicitor.
Should I enclose my bank statements which show that it's not the case that I don't tap in? Thank you very much.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,657
Location
LBK
Should I enclose my bank statements which show that it's not the case that I don't tap in? Thank you very much.
It won't hurt to add, but they probably won't care. They are really only concerned about the day you were stopped.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Should I enclose my bank statements which show that it's not the case that I don't tap in? Thank you very much.
You first priority needs to be to advise them of how they can contact you.

Save mitigation for later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top