Just about qualifying is the Monnow Valley Railway, of which the only bit actually built was a short tunnel at Monmouth
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nigel.nicholson/gn/page 31.htm
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here are some more of these
First of all another line that was completed but never opened the
Spireslack branch of the Caledonian railway. This was a line from Coalburn to Muirkirk which although completed throughout, was only opened at the eastern end, otherwise the Glasgow & SAouth Western would have claimed running powers to Lanark !
Another one possibly in this category is the
Tickhill Light Railway. The western section (Tickhill – Bawtry) was never built. It is not known whether the eastern section Bawtry – Haxey Jcn) ever had any through services. Certainly within a couple of years the track had been removed from the centreof this section.
Many other incomplete lines relate to small inpercunious railways which couldn’t afford to complete their whole line.
The
East Kent Railway was intened to extend from Wingham to Canterbury but petered out in the middle of a field. Old maps show earthworks extending beyond the limit of public services. Contary to what I had thought previously it seems their line from Sandwich Road to Richborough Port did in fact open for freight for a few years. It was the station at Richborough that was built but never opened to passengers.
The
Liskaerd & Caradon Railway proposed to extend north from Kilmar Quarry to Launceston, and a couple of miles of formation were built before the project was abandoned.
The
Shropshire and Montgomeryshire was always intended to extend from Shrewsbury to Market Drayton. I have seen old photos where there is definitely a formation linking Abbey Foregate to the Shrewbury – Wellington line, but I’m not sure if it ever carried track or trains as most maps don’t show it at all. I’m sure I read somewhere that a small amount of work was done on the line to Market Drayton before being abandoned due to the First World War, but I can’t find any reference to that now.
Over in Ireland there was the
Ulster & Connaught Light Railway – a 150 mile line of which the only bit ever built was a tunnel at Keady which is now used as a bus garage by Ulsterbus !
There are lots more examples overseas. Offhand I know of examples in Estonia, France, Italy, Latvia and Spain. The most striking example is probably the
FC Santander Mediterraneo in Spain. A long line which ran out in the middle of nowhere at Ciudad Valeporres about 50 miles short of it’s target, leaving a 5 mile tunnel completed but unlined !
http://www.santander-mediterraneo.net/
http://www.santander-mediterraneo.net/futuro1.html
Research is continuing !