TomatoSalad197
Member
Hi everyone
Looking for advice. I am quite inconsolable about this and I am experiencing extreme anxiety over this whole thing.
I was travelling from London and bought my ticket (Thameslink) on Trainline. It automatically had 16-25 railcard checked. Halfway through my journey, a ticket inspector checked my ticket and asked me to produce my railcard. Last year, (my railcard was multi year contract) my railcard was stolen (this was reported to police, it was in my bag). I never had access to a digital railcard (can't for the life of me work out why, I got it for free so I wonder if that is why). So therefore, I was unable to produce it. I explained that my railcard had been stolen and I wasn't able to produce it. Despite this, he give me a slip giving me 14 days to produce it so I am unable to dispose of it by paying a penalty fare. Further to this, when I came home I had a horrible realisation that I'm not even sure that railcard is valid anymore (I cannot find any information as to whether it is or isn't) and so I'm not sure that even if I could produce it that it would be valid. I am very obviously aware that this is my fault and it's a stupid mistake that I've made. However, I am incredibly anxious about how I can reach a resolution without being prosecuted as this was an honest mistake and, beyond paying a hefty fine, I don't want this to have a material impact on the rest of my life, such as my career. I bought quite a few tickets on trainline within the last 6 months all with a railcard, so I am prepared for the fact that any settlement out of court will take those into consideration and luckily I have a safety blanket of some savings (given I think it's around 40-50 journeys). I'm looking for advice about the best way to deal with this. I have been provided with a link to upload a railcard which of course I am unable to do. Is it best to submit a letter in the upload box to stop this hanging over my head and explain the situation? Better to wait for the letter to come through? Should I let them know I'm now unsure if my railcard is even valid, or for now explain what I know and that I am unable to upload as it was stolen? I have read other threads in this forum and know that in any letter I should show what I've learnt, that I am remorseful, and that I will cooperate fully to come to any settlement to avoid it going to court. I'm just so frustrated that something like this has happened as I'm something of a 'goody two shoes' and would never knowingly evade any fare. Any advice on what to do and the likely processes that this will involve would be really useful as right now I am just panicking and want to get it resolved as promptly as possible so that I can ease my anxieties.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also, if I just pay any settlement offer that they offer me following this and don't even challenge the offer that they provide me with (unless of course that it is so substantial I don't have the means to pay), then is that case closed and they won't prosecute? I am happy to acknowledge that this is completely my fault and therefore pay the damages as it was such a ridiculous oversight. I'm just more worried that it gets pursued further and I know that I won't be able to cope with that stress mentally.
Looking for advice. I am quite inconsolable about this and I am experiencing extreme anxiety over this whole thing.
I was travelling from London and bought my ticket (Thameslink) on Trainline. It automatically had 16-25 railcard checked. Halfway through my journey, a ticket inspector checked my ticket and asked me to produce my railcard. Last year, (my railcard was multi year contract) my railcard was stolen (this was reported to police, it was in my bag). I never had access to a digital railcard (can't for the life of me work out why, I got it for free so I wonder if that is why). So therefore, I was unable to produce it. I explained that my railcard had been stolen and I wasn't able to produce it. Despite this, he give me a slip giving me 14 days to produce it so I am unable to dispose of it by paying a penalty fare. Further to this, when I came home I had a horrible realisation that I'm not even sure that railcard is valid anymore (I cannot find any information as to whether it is or isn't) and so I'm not sure that even if I could produce it that it would be valid. I am very obviously aware that this is my fault and it's a stupid mistake that I've made. However, I am incredibly anxious about how I can reach a resolution without being prosecuted as this was an honest mistake and, beyond paying a hefty fine, I don't want this to have a material impact on the rest of my life, such as my career. I bought quite a few tickets on trainline within the last 6 months all with a railcard, so I am prepared for the fact that any settlement out of court will take those into consideration and luckily I have a safety blanket of some savings (given I think it's around 40-50 journeys). I'm looking for advice about the best way to deal with this. I have been provided with a link to upload a railcard which of course I am unable to do. Is it best to submit a letter in the upload box to stop this hanging over my head and explain the situation? Better to wait for the letter to come through? Should I let them know I'm now unsure if my railcard is even valid, or for now explain what I know and that I am unable to upload as it was stolen? I have read other threads in this forum and know that in any letter I should show what I've learnt, that I am remorseful, and that I will cooperate fully to come to any settlement to avoid it going to court. I'm just so frustrated that something like this has happened as I'm something of a 'goody two shoes' and would never knowingly evade any fare. Any advice on what to do and the likely processes that this will involve would be really useful as right now I am just panicking and want to get it resolved as promptly as possible so that I can ease my anxieties.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Also, if I just pay any settlement offer that they offer me following this and don't even challenge the offer that they provide me with (unless of course that it is so substantial I don't have the means to pay), then is that case closed and they won't prosecute? I am happy to acknowledge that this is completely my fault and therefore pay the damages as it was such a ridiculous oversight. I'm just more worried that it gets pursued further and I know that I won't be able to cope with that stress mentally.
Last edited: