• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ulverston - Manchester via liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtly

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2016
Messages
59
Hi,

On the 20th may, I am travelling from ulverston to Liverpool then to Manchester. And then the next day returning from Manchester to ulverston the next day.

Need flexibility in tickets so no advances,

Just wondering if it would be best to buy an ulverston manchester return- then get say a Wigan- Liverpool ticket- and then Liverpool Manchester.

Thanks

Curtly
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Ulverston - Lancaster Anytime Return (£13.90) plus Lancaster to Liverpool South Parkway Anytime Return (£20) would cover all of your journeys.

You'd need to take a train from Liv-Man that stops at South Parkway; most do.
 
Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,288
Location
Connah's Quay
Wouldn't a Lancaster-Liverpool return be better? Same price, and you can catch any Manchester train.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Wouldn't a Lancaster-Liverpool return be better? Same price, and you can catch any Manchester train.
When I checked, that wasn't showing as valid, but is now. Very odd!

Yes, this would be an improvement.
 

curtly

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2016
Messages
59
That is exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you very much for your assistance!
 

curtly

Member
Joined
10 Feb 2016
Messages
59
Back again!
Slight change of plans,

I'm now needing to go to Manchester on the way there too.
So it would be
Saturday ulverston to Manchester
Saturday- Manchester to Liverpool
Saturday evening - Liverpool - Manchester
Sunday - Manchester ulverston.

So basically my question is can I boj at Manchester on the outbound journey as well as the inbound?

Also- what are the chances of encountering problems with guards/gate line staff?
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
curtly said:
So basically my question is can I boj at Manchester on the outbound journey as well as the inbound?
Yes you can. Anytime tickets have no restriction.
curtly said:
Also- what are the chances of encountering problems with guards/gate line staff?
Virtually nil. There is a chance that a guard on Saturday evening will write a date/number on the ticket. This doesn't prevent you from continuing your journey the next day of course, but if you run into trouble at the Piccadilly gateline, quote the National Rail Conditions of Travel:
16.2 said:
Most Tickets allow you to break your journey. This means that you do not have to make the whole of your journey at the same time or, where allowed, on the same day.
16.3 said:
Where a break of journey is allowed, there is no limit to the number of times that you can do so within a Ticket’s period of validity, until the journey is completed.
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
Although who knows what will happen if the tickets get rejected by the barriers? There are much more obvious routeings than this that can be queried by staff.
(I've done this route once, and the guard did query it - but only to make sure I was on the right train. I have less faith in barrier staff at Manchester).
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
Although who knows what will happen if the tickets get rejected by the barriers? There are much more obvious routeings than this that can be queried by staff.
(I've done this route once, and the guard did query it - but only to make sure I was on the right train. I have less faith in barrier staff at Manchester).
Oxford Road staff are absolutely fine, Victoria's staff don't seem to have undergone any geographical training and Piccadilly's manned by people more interested in their phones than tickets.

Shouldn't be any issues, but Northern are in the habit of giving out free travel to anyone with a genuine greivance, should a problem occur. Really nothing to worry about, it's valid and can be backed up by evidence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top