• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK trip part 1 - Birmingham and The Cornish Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reini

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2007
Messages
105
Location
Austria/Vienna
Hello to the first part of my UK trip this year.
The UK trip was just the first part of a whole Europe tour, including the Netherlands, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia.

Let's start on June 27th, when I flew from Bratislava to Birmingham. Unfortunately the flight was 2 hours late <(

IMG_4651.jpg


This plane will take me to Birmingham:

IMG_4654.jpg


The AirRail-Link between the airport and the railway station:

IMG_4659.jpg


After I bought some food in New Street I went to Wolverhampton:

IMG_4670.jpg


IMG_4675.jpg


This train will bring me to Cosford...

IMG_4689.jpg


IMG_4717.jpg


...where I found this bridge:

IMG_4700.jpg


IMG_4705-1.jpg


IMG_4710.jpg


Back at the station Freightline 66584 came by:

IMG_4724-1.jpg


Unfortunately the train from London Marleybone to Wrexham was late, so I took only a photo of my train to Tame Bridge Parkway:

IMG_4742.jpg


In Tame Bridge, I was able to take a photo of the 1h40mins late running London-Wrexham service:

IMG_4761-1.jpg


After that I went to Coleshill where theblackwatch picked me up and we drove to a Travelodge were we spent a short night before we drove to Birmingham International to join the Cornish Explorer the next morning. It has been my first Deltic ride ever.

IMG_4771.jpg


IMG_4777.jpg


IMG_4787.jpg


A London bound HST on the Dawlish Sea Wall:

IMG_4822-1.jpg


20 minutes break in Plymouth, enough time for a photo:

IMG_4828.jpg


After the arrival in Penzance:

IMG_4850.jpg


IMG_4851-1.jpg


IMG_1163.jpg


IMG_4881.jpg


In the break we did the short branch line to St Ives, here another shot of the Deltic, taken out the HST that took us to St Erth:

IMG_4893.jpg


This unit is departing St Erth for St Ives:

IMG_4901-1.jpg


We had some good luck, our seats have been in coach A, so we had a nice sound on the way back to Birmingham 8). The cathedral of Truro

IMG_4911.jpg


The Royal Albert Bridge in Plymouth:

IMG_4921.jpg


IMG_4930.jpg


A glance into the Deltic's engine room:

IMG_4937-1.jpg


The last photo of the day was taken in Exeter St Davids:

IMG_4935.jpg


I really enjoyed the day with the Deltic, altough I got a little bit tired during the last few hours :???:

Part two (40th anniversary gala of the K&WVR) will come soon, hope you enjoyed part one!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,298
Great stuff. How do you find England compared to Vienna/Austria? I was in Vienna for a week recently and the amount of freight about is amazing, surely it must get a bit boring with the constant procession of units in this country? :)
 

JoshW1992

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2006
Messages
1,202
Location
Warwickshire
Lovely photos there! I bet you loved that trip with the Deltic. Must have been a great run from Birmingham to Penzance. :)
 

Reini

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2007
Messages
105
Location
Austria/Vienna
How do you find England compared to Vienna/Austria? I was in Vienna for a week recently and the amount of freight about is amazing, surely it must get a bit boring with the constant procession of units in this country? :)

England is quite interesting for me because it's something cmpletely different compared to Austria.
I wouldn't say that we have more freight trains here in Austria, but we have more mixed freight trains than in England. Most freight trains are running via Vienna, and then via the "Westbahn" from Vienna to Passau or to Hegyeshalom (Hungary).

Units... There won't be many more in the future than now, so there will be many loco hauled trains in the future as well.


Glad to see you enjoyed the pics, part two will be online in a couple of hours!
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
Great pictures, glad that you had a good trip on the Deltic, though I would rather go to Austria and have a 2050 or 2143......

only 2 1/2 weeks to go, maybe less if one turns out on EZ Neusiedlersee the weekend before :grin:
 

33056

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2007
Messages
2,424
Location
On a train somewhere in Europe
What will you do in Austria (except the EZ Neusiedlersee?)

Mostly staying in Wien.

Will be going to Ernstbrunn with the 2062 on Saturday week, before going to Neusiedlersee, then to the Ybbstalbahn festival on the Sunday. The following weekend will see us on the "Desperate Tours" trip for all three days. Going to Tamsweg for a night to do the 2091 on the Taurachbahn on Maria Himmelfahrt and also will be doing the Blauer Blitz to Waldmühle the following Saturday.

In between all that we will be trying to "clear" the remaining passenger track that we need in Austria as well as the GySEV system. I think that it is possible in the time remaining, but we will probably get distracted by other things such as yet another trip on the Waldviertelbahn and Mariazellerbahn. We were planning on doing MH6 on the latter, but that is not happening this year - but perhaps we should keep something back for next year :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top