• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK switching to electric vehicles discussion

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
If BYD and others will be offering a 5 minute charge then range is almost irrelevant. Cost of fast charging will then become almost the sole issue.

I can't imagine myself ever needing a charge that quick. On a long drive, I would have traditionally stopped to take a break and possibly fill up (although I'd usually drive to a nearby supermarket) so there was the time for me doing what I need to do (stretch, make a call/check phone, toilet stop, a bite to eat) and THEN going to the petrol station to fill up.

Now I can let the car 'fill up' while I'm doing the other things, so for me it's quicker than when I had an ICE car.

I really don't need a 5 minute 1mW charge, and I expect those that might will probably be in a position to swap driver to do a far longer trip - although surely one or more vehicle occupants still need to stop occasionally to do something that takes longer than 5 minutes.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Noddy

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
1,657
Location
UK
They're coming back. Okay, not the very smallest cars (A-segment) but you're now seeing a huge number of B-segment vehicles with prices as low as £8-9000 for a pre-registered, minimal mileage, Dacia Spring that's perfect for a lot of people.

There are more A segment (electric) cars coming, namely the Renault Twingo/Nissan Pixo.

Although a modern A segment car looks very different to one from the 70s or 80s, a lot of the growth in cars is for safety purposes which is no bad thing.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,268
Location
West Wiltshire
There are more A segment (electric) cars coming, namely the Renault Twingo/Nissan Pixo.
...... and Aion UT, Dacia Hipster, Smart #2,

The other thing is from end of November new models in Europe will conventional engines will need to be euro7 emissions (with existing models euro7 by 29 Nov 2027). This will add to cost and complexity of non-electric vehicles (and of course more that could potentially go wrong)

UK post Brexit does its own rules, but no sane manufacturer are going to build different engines for UK rather than use standard European spec engines.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,959
Location
UK
UK post Brexit does its own rules, but no sane manufacturer are going to build different engines for UK rather than use standard European spec engines.

Tell that to a Brexiteer! That will just be Europe trying to force regulations on us.. Let's build our own cars and paint the union flag on them to show the world we can do what we want!
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,820
Location
Croydon
Tell that to a Brexiteer! That will just be Europe trying to force regulations on us.. Let's build our own cars and paint the union flag on them to show the world we can do what we want!
Yeah !.

Oh freedom but only on our own island, or maybe even just part of it.

I still remember the Brexit promise was that we would be able to compete freely in the Asia Pacific region - you know over where China is (where all those cheap EVs come from).
 

Top