GLC
Member
- Joined
- 21 Nov 2018
- Messages
- 403
I was quoted £9k to fit a new engine to my EV after 8 years. Flogged it to WBAC and bought another instead
I was quoted £9k to fit a new engine to my EV after 8 years. Flogged it to WBAC and bought another instead
it's one of those EVs with an engine in it


Thats really not great for a 6 year old car IMO, especially having to change all the discs!In the last few years I’ve had the following go on my (now) 6 yearish old diesel with average miles
Glow plugs
Control relay for emissions monitoring
aircon evaporator
exhaust gas recirculation unit
Boot seals on the gearbox
Brake discs all round
Thats a toral of £4k.
And apparently none of these are uncommon.
Of course the aircon and brakes could go in an EV, but the others couldn‘t. And I‘d expect the brake discs to be used somewhat less in an EV.
Well that really depends on how many miles the vehicles have done, rather than how old they are (for the most part).Thats really not great for a 6 year old car IMO, especially having to change all the discs!
But maybe I was lucky with my previous car
And also in how they're driven. Drivers who plan ahead and ease off the gas rather than using the brakes will have discs and pads which last longer. Glow plugs will last longer for someone using their diesel for long journeys starting in Cambridge than somebody using theirs for the same number of miles but more short journeys starting in Aviemore. Etc.Shows how much different cars vary in reliability and repair costs. I’d expect EVs to be similar to be honest, with some being ultra-reliable and others being an absolute pain.
Given the strength of Tesla's regenerative braking system, the friction brakes are rarely used. So whilst pads and discs are not being replaced for very long periods, the lack of use can lead to other problems such as seizure of components or rusting of discs. Tesla have a 'burnishing the brakes' section in their manual to ameliorate this.Of course the aircon and brakes could go in an EV, but the others couldn‘t. And I‘d expect the brake discs to be used somewhat less in an EV.
I would say you were very lucky.Thats really not great for a 6 year old car IMO, especially having to change all the discs!
But maybe I was lucky with my previous car
Bought on 34,000 in 2012 until it died in 2023 on 216,000
Non-Routine costs (majority of work undertaken by myself, so saves on labour):
EGR Valve (£120)
Front Anti-Roll bar links (£20 each)
Rear Suspension Arm & spring (+ 4 wheel alignment / tracking - £400)
Front & rear pads were changed once (£40 per pair, discs were original to the end)
Fuel Injector x 1 (£120)
A 2nd injector failed 6 months after the first. So really, at that point i needed to replace all the remaining ones. Along with the timing belt being well overdue and the alternator making a very funny noise, it was at this point i called time and scrapped it.
How will the electric vehicle charge be calculated? Will EV drivers have to submit a mileage return every year? Or perhaps a black box will be fitted. So far, I've not found anything which sets out the method to be used.Fuel duty going up by a staged increase while rail fares freeze seems to be the first nod away from the car lobby in a long time (if ever). Obviously pay per mile for electric cars will be seen as a problem, though personally I think this should have been applied to all vehicles to replace fuel duty.
A guess: https://www.independent.co.uk/cars/...-mile-rachel-reeves-budget-2025-b2869615.htmlHow will the electric vehicle charge be calculated? Will EV drivers have to submit a mileage return every year? Or perhaps a black box will be fitted. So far, I've not found anything which sets out the method to be used.
There’s no confirmation yet on how the new EV Excise Duty scheme will work, but it’s likely to rely on us recording and submitting our own mileage to the DVLA rather than any form of digital scheme that would make charging seamless.
Anything involving real time tracking seems doomed to failure to me. Obviously people might lie.What’s being proposed?
Under the plan, BEV drivers would be asked to estimate their annual mileage and pay an upfront levy of 3p per mile, called Electric Vehicle Excise Duty, in addition to the current Vehicle Excise Duty which currently stands at £10 for the first year and £195 thereafter.
Using that figure, the Treasury estimates the average EV driver – travelling some 8,900 miles a year – could pay around £279 a year from 2028.
Crucially, the system is intended to avoid real-time tracking of vehicles. Instead, the idea is that drivers estimate how far they will drive and pay the 3p/mile in advance. If they drive fewer miles the balance rolls over; if they exceed the estimate they pay more.
Well I'm sure that's going to go well...A guess: https://www.independent.co.uk/cars/...-mile-rachel-reeves-budget-2025-b2869615.html
Anything involving real time tracking seems doomed to failure to me. Obviously people might lie.
Or how it will take into account any mileage driven away from UK roads, ie if someone takes their car abroad for a driving holiday in Europe.How will the electric vehicle charge be calculated? Will EV drivers have to submit a mileage return every year? Or perhaps a black box will be fitted. So far, I've not found anything which sets out the method to be used.
Roads is a difficult one, but it is only domestic electricity for charging EVs that does not have a point of sale.
Or how it will take into account any mileage driven away from UK roads, ie if someone takes their car abroad for a driving holiday in Europe.
Although I have an EV, I cannot be too upset with it being 3p per mile the vehicle does. It probably balances with the vehicles paying tax in other countries using the UK roads.Or how it will take into account any mileage driven away from UK roads, ie if someone takes their car abroad for a driving holiday in Europe.
Perhaps a black box OTMR style that also legally monitors driving standards compliance. Two birds, one stone.Anything involving real time tracking seems doomed to failure to me. Obviously people might lie.
Good heavens what a terrible idea.Perhaps a black box OTMR style that also legally monitors driving standards compliance. Two birds, one stone.
It appears cars record a lot anyway.Good heavens what a terrible idea.
I assume you’ve not had the pleasure of insurance black boxes penalising drivers for (among other things) harsh braking while avoiding a collision or excessive cornering forces (using a roundabout)?
"Because the airbags in the Polo deployed, we knew that probably that car's stored some data about what happened in the five seconds leading up to that collision," Sgt Raine said.
The team used a specialist retrieval system to access the airbag control module – where a snapshot of electronic data, triggered by the crash, revealed speeds, accelerator position, steering wheel angle and brake pedal application.
"It's data that links directly to what the person is doing to the controls of the car. And it tells us exactly what their manner of driving was prior to the collision," Sgt Raine said.
No worries for anyone who drives legally and reasonably. If it results in increased risk cost for poorer drivers that’s good news for those suffering increased premiums due to others.Good heavens what a terrible idea.
I assume you’ve not had the pleasure of insurance black boxes penalising drivers for (among other things) harsh braking while avoiding a collision or excessive cornering forces (using a roundabout)?
No, we don't, you might and some others may but I don't want an EV. I have nowhere to charge it at home or work.I do have a problem with taxing EVs while we want people to switch to using them. But I can understand that the government needs to appease the internal combustion lobby and EV users do get an easier ride on tax.
How will the electric vehicle charge be calculated? Will EV drivers have to submit a mileage return every year? Or perhaps a black box will be fitted. So far, I've not found anything which sets out the method to be used.
I do have a problem with taxing EVs while we want people to switch to using them. But I can understand that the government needs to appease the internal combustion lobby and EV users do get an easier ride on tax.
Post-crash maybe, but what business does the govt have accessing this data in the manner suggested?
I don't think they care about driving on private land or abroad. Reading the mileage every year and using a flat rate per mile is the simplest way to implement this.Personally, I think it's going to be hard to manage and there will be many people finding ways to reverse or hack the mileages. If there needs to be extra hardware fitted to the vehicle, that's going to be expensive. If it relies on reading the car mileage, what about people driving on private land, abroad etc? It seems like a very messy and complicated idea.
I would have simply seen to increase the current VED to be for electric vehicles, and based either on motor efficiency (average), battery size, vehicle weight or a combination thereof. You could then encourage people to buy smaller, lighter, efficient EVs and not massive SUVs with huge batteries to give long range but doing only 2-3 miles per kWh (and maybe even less). In the future, surely this will be an important metric as all cars will eventually be electric, or hybrid.
Plus, surely the Government should have brought the scheme in for all cars so as not to put people off buying an electric car. Even though those doing an average of 4-5,000 miles per year aren't going to be paying that much - the optics aren't good. Also, Labour should be saying how they're going to find ways to allow EV owners who can't charge at home alternatives like on-street charging that can be billed back to someone's home account, allowing them to enjoy standard rate (or even discounted) unit costs. You could limit how many 'miles of charging' each household could do (to prevent fraud by charging other cars) and all sorts of things, and wouldn't it have been smarter to talk about this at the same time so people could still see a benefit of switching?
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
If they introduced it for ALL cars, it wouldn't be fuelling the online anti-EV brigade that have already been using this as ammunition to attack EVs for weeks when the rumours first surfaced. It seems like a lot of hassle (especially the weird way they intend to collect it) that is doing harm to EV sales because the optics look terrible - even if the average EV owner won't be paying that much.
Labour needs to work out how to 'spin' things because they manage to make things look worse than they are, and make things so easy for the media to then attack Labour as a result.
Who decides ‘reasonably’? If I drop the anchors and avoid a crash in doing so, will I be penalised for agressive braking?No worries for anyone who drives legally and reasonably. If it results in increased risk cost for poorer drivers that’s good news for those suffering increased premiums due to others.
Only if your cars are young enough to be riddled with computers!In the USA, I think it was GM that was secretly sharing data with insurance companies on driving habits as recorded by the onboard systems and I wouldn't be surprised if others aren't doing it too.
Is this official?There will be no black boxes. Mileage will be recorded at MOT stations and submitted to the government for invoicing. What happens in the first 3 years I don't know. I'm irked by this, I drive a plug in hybrid, and do about 6000 miles a year in France. Apparently I'll still owe UK Gov for this, even though I'm not using UK roads, but paying French tolls.
Never mind the fact that I rarely plug it in, so the battery charge is from petrol I've already paid duty on. It's double taxation.
Never mind the fact that I rarely plug it in, so the battery charge is from petrol I've already paid duty on. It's double taxation.
I also note that PHEVs have a lower rate of 1.5p/mile, to account for some mileage being on taxed fuel.That's driving desirable behavioural change. It would be better if you did plug it in, as that would reduce emissions in urban areas for short journeys, so hopefully this situation will change your behaviour so you do.
The details of the staged increase in fuel duty and the rail fares freeze are in the following paragraphs of the Budget Report.Fuel duty going up by a staged increase while rail fares freeze seems to be the first nod away from the car lobby in a long time (if ever). Obviously pay per mile for electric cars will be seen as a problem, though personally I think this should have been applied to all vehicles to replace fuel duty.
4.4 Fuel duty: 2026-27 main rates – The government will extend the temporary 5p fuel duty cut for a further five months, with the cut being reversed in three stages: 1p on 1 September 2026, 2p on 1 December 2026 and 2p on 1 March 2027. This will return rates to pre-March 2022 levels. The planned inflation increase for 2026-27 will not take place, with the government uprating fuel duty rates by Retail Prices Index (RPI) from April 2027.
4.7 Rail fares freeze – The government is freezing all regulated rail fares in England for one year starting from March 2026. This means passengers will not see any changes in the price of season tickets, peak return fares for commuters and off‑peak returns between major cities until March 2027.