• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK switching to electric vehicles discussion

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
Until they are able to eliminate the blind-spot (which is undoubtedly a noble aim) what exactly is the advantage of using cameras rather than mirrors? Unless it offers an improved field of vision all it is is another point of failure.
For buses, the cameras seem smaller than the mirrors, and can be positioned higher up. They can therefore avoid hitting waiting passengers as they pull into a bus stop or lay-by. (Many buses have yellow covers on their mirrors to try to make them more obvious to pedestrians and would be passengers.)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,754
Location
Croydon
For buses, the cameras seem smaller than the mirrors, and can be positioned higher up. They can therefore avoid hitting waiting passengers as they pull into a bus stop or lay-by. (Many buses have yellow covers on their mirrors to try to make them more obvious to pedestrians and would be passengers.)
Indeed. Being 6ft2in I often find myself within range of bus mirrors.
 

En

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2024
Messages
178
While I don't think we're there yet, the move to cameras should end us up with totally blind-spot-less HGVs and PCVs, which is an improvement over that. The cameras so far are mostly just drop in replacements offering a field of vision similar to mirrors, but whether through legislation* or just technical development that will change, and I suspect quickly.

* I'd expect London to be first in mandating all HGVs to have a means of viewing all-round when driving.
it;s alsomost as though you aren;t aware of the TfL DVS and the upcoming changes to it

 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,773
Do any petrol stations with charging points ever have the kWh price on the main totem?
 

GLC

Member
Joined
21 Nov 2018
Messages
403
Do any petrol stations with charging points ever have the kWh price on the main totem?
A service station was built near me around a year ago, which includes such a sign, although it’s separate to the petrol price sign, and the site doesn’t yet have any chargers!
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
I have never seen a charging station with the price on the "pump" let alone the main sign.

Will this require legislation? I assume that's the only reason petrol stations have large signs showing their prices by the road.

It seems mad to make people drive up and start to interact with the EV charger before knowing the price.
 

SWT_USER

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
1,181
Location
Ashford Middx
Still no update from the dealership (who have had it since 22nd July). Could be that they are procrastinating over what to do - or that they genuinely just don't have enough people suitably qualified to diagnose and fix the problem. I've had a hire car since then so it must be costing them a decent amount of money!

This is a company car via a salary sacrifice scheme so I'll be handing it back in two years anyway, I will go for an EV again next time but it's certainly put me off buying this one when the time comes.
I've finally got my car back! :D

It was a faulty module which needed swapping out. Great that is was a relatively simple fix but it took far too long to do. Really pleased to have it back though and after two months I'd forgotten how nice it was to drive compared to ICE.

Anecdotally I have noticed lots more street chargers (including lamp post ones) going up in my area, presumably these are relatively straightforward to install given the low power draw. Have the issues with motorway service stations not being able to install more due to insufficient national grid power been resolved?
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,035
Will this require legislation? I assume that's the only reason petrol stations have large signs showing their prices by the road.
I don't think they're mandatory - my local Sainsbury's has a filling station but there's no price signage other than on the pumps themselves. I never use it, partly because I don't want to queue up then find that it's more expensive than local alternatives.

A couple of years ago I filled up at a BP station in Dunfermline and the pump price was 2p per litre more than the outside sign. When I complained to the cashier, they just said "oh, someone must have forgotten to change it, the pump price us the one we charge" without any apology or even embarrassment. I've not been back there since.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It was a faulty module which needed swapping out. Great that is was a relatively simple fix but it took far too long to do. Really pleased to have it back though and after two months I'd forgotten how nice it was to drive compared to ICE.
I think there are supply chain issues in multiple industries, not just automotive. Companies who chose "just in time" inventories and single sourcing from distant cheap-labour countries, didn't think adequately about the possible downsides. Shipping problems, wars and general geopolitical instability can easily break the chain and leave companies unable to build or repair their core products.
 
Last edited:

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
I've finally got my car back! :D

It was a faulty module which needed swapping out. Great that is was a relatively simple fix but it took far too long to do. Really pleased to have it back though and after two months I'd forgotten how nice it was to drive compared to ICE.
Good to hear you have your car back, I assume the swapped part is a battery module. Did they explain what was wrong? Perhaps a cell or cells in the defective module were overheating in service, perhaps a diagnostic circuit was giving false information.
 

SWT_USER

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
1,181
Location
Ashford Middx
Good to hear you have your car back, I assume the swapped part is a battery module. Did they explain what was wrong? Perhaps a cell or cells in the defective module were overheating in service, perhaps a diagnostic circuit was giving false information.
I'm not technical at all, but as I understand it there was a bad cell (they did tell me which one it was) which was swapped out. I don't know what the actual issue with it was, whether that was false information generating the warning or if it was actually overheating.
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
I'm not technical at all, but as I understand it there was a bad cell (they did tell me which one it was) which was swapped out. I don't know what the actual issue with it was, whether that was false information generating the warning or if it was actually overheating.
The original warning was 'risk of fire'. Could have been a genuine fault detection, for which subsequent fire was a real, if rare, risk.
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,040
Someone I know is having battery issues with their Tesla and because Tesla have closed a few of their garages it's taking longer than it should to get it fixed.

As changing the 12v battery which every car has should take less than an hour to do.
 

Noddy

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
1,656
Location
UK
While I’m slightly sceptical we’re actually there yet (who ever paid full list price for a Vauxhall?) it’s definitely a sign that EV prices are getting much closer to ICE.


Price parity is here: new Stellantis crossover is the same price, EV or ICE​

Avatar for Jo Borrás Jo Borrás | Oct 13 2024 - 5:00 am PT
4 Comments
Electric price parity is here: new Stellantis crossover is the same price, EV or ICE

The newest midsize crossover in Stellantis’ European lineup is available in five or seven-passenger configurations with either mild hybrid ICE or BEV drivetrain configurations – but that’s not the interesting part. The interesting part is this: whether you go with gas or electric, the price you pay remains the same. (!)

Price parity, in the context of EVs, basically means that it would cost the same to buy an electric version of a car as an internal combustion version. Whether or not making parity a priority makes sense (and there are plenty who would argue that it doesn’t), there is still a persistent belief that EVs cost more than comparable gas cars.
Well, they did, anyway. The new Vauxhall Frontera shown here is a mid-size crossover set to launch in the UK later this year with a £23,495 price tag (approx. $30,705) for the ICE version … and £23,495 for the BEV.

No going back​

£23,495
2025 Vauxhall Frontera; via Stellantis.
The Frontera SUV is part of a broader plan to revitalize Stellantis’ brands in Europe – which is going significantly better than its US plan, it must be said.
“The New Frontera is our new family-size SUV, offering customers innovative and practical electric mobility at an affordable price,” says James Taylor, Managing Director, Vauxhall. “Highly flexible with up to seven seats, spacious, and with a choice of hybrid and electric powertrains, we’re confident that Frontera will appeal to new and existing audiences as well as sit very well in our revised SUV line-up in between Mokka and the forthcoming All-New Grandland.”
The new Frontera is available either as a hybrid with 48-volt technology or fully electric. The Frontera Hybrid has a 100 hp 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine developed specifically for hybrid use. This operates in combination with a 21kW (28 hp) electric motor and an electrified six-speed dual clutch transmission, so that fuel consumption and CO2 emissions are significantly lower compared to a conventionally powered model. In addition, the Frontera Hybrid will also be available with a 136 hp 1.2 turbo engine.
Customers who want to travel locally emissions-free can order the fully electric Frontera Electric, which is based on the new ‘Smart Car’ BEV-native platform – a development from the current e-CMP platform – and features a 113 hp electric motor. It will offer a range of more than 186 miles (c.300 km) (WLTP provisional) with 100 kW charging capability as standard, while the “long range” version will be able to travel up to around 248 miles (c.400 km) (WLTP provisional) without stopping to charge.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
While I’m slightly sceptical we’re actually there yet (who ever paid full list price for a Vauxhall?) it’s definitely a sign that EV prices are getting much closer to ICE.


The ICE version is actually a hybrid, which usually has a higher price than pure ICEs. Since it is a new model, and not a replacement, it is not easy to see if the hybrid price has gone up or the EV price has come down.

I also think ICE prices will rise because of the fines imposed on car manufacturers if they sell less than a certain %age of total sales as EV (or possibly hybrids). To cover the cost of the fines, ICE car prices must presumably rise.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
To cover the cost of the fines, ICE car prices must presumably rise.
Or alternatively, the number of IC vehicles available be on a quota, meaning that their fans will be weaned off them as their availability is reduced to zero. be reduced to zero.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
Or alternatively, the number of IC vehicles available be on a quota, meaning that their fans will be weaned off them as their availability is reduced to zero. be reduced to zero.
Can you see car manufacturers leaving production lines empty so that they can meet quotas? Car manufacturers want to pump out as many cars as possible to maximise profits and recover overheads over as many units as possible.

Quotas should not be used to wean people off ICE cars. The argument should be won by the overall attractiveness of the EV product - "You can't buck the market", to quote Margaret Thatcher. EV cars should be attractively priced, have sufficient range, have no insurance uplifts, or other concerns etc. They will then be attractive in their own right and may well be the default for any new car purchase, but quotas are not the way forward.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Can you see car manufacturers leaving production lines empty so that they can meet quotas? Car manufacturers want to pump out as many cars as possible to maximise profits and recover overheads over as many units as possible.
Can you see car manufacturers offering cars for less than the cost of making them to persuade a few to break their use of ICVs? They may not actually be stating that there is a quota in operation, but increasing buyers' difficulty in sourcing them will do the same thing.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
Can you see car manufacturers offering cars for less than the cost of making them to persuade a few to break their use of ICVs? They may not actually be stating that there is a quota in operation, but increasing buyers' difficulty in sourcing them will do the same thing.
I would not buy an EV until it is better as an overall package than an ICE, and I don't understand why anyone would. Why would anyone buy what they consider to be an inferior product?

Car manufacturers will not reduce the price of an EV unless the costs of manufacturing them have reduced. No car manufacturer will make a loss on each sale. There is therefore a tipping point which we have not yet reached, when EVs become the vehicle of choice based on price, range etc etc. Therefore we are at an impasse, and I cannot see anything changing until the costs of manufacture, and thence price, reduces, which could come about through technological advances. Relatively speaking, we are still at the early stages of EV manufacture, and advances will come.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
EV batteries are expected to drop in cost by another 50% or so next year, bringing the cost of the battery packs down by maybe $2-3k. The question is whether these discounts are passed on, or used to bolster profit margins.

I guess it also depends on whether we have cartels in the car industry. Will one car maker dare reduce its prices to sell more, or just work with others to keep prices high?

This is why I don't think buying an EV right now is a good idea, because the cost of a new EV will only be getting cheaper as time goes on (and that's even with inflation) and that will hit residuals. Far better to lease or even rent with one of the car subscription services, so someone else will take the hit. On the plus side, it all just keeps meaning that second hand EVs are going to become even better deals year after year - plus despite the fact most people will never need to change their battery, anyone that does and can't source one from a scrapyard or whatever will find that a brand new, factory-fresh, battery is going to be less.

By 2030, I can't see many people still wanting an ICE vehicle, or even a hybrid. The latter may still have a market for some edge cases, but a pure ICE? The demand is likely to be such that I can't see them being sold in many markets. Car makers could still make them for some places, but do you think they'll be sold in the UK?
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
EV batteries are expected to drop in cost by another 50% or so next year, bringing the cost of the battery packs down by maybe $2-3k. The question is whether these discounts are passed on, or used to bolster profit margins.

I guess it also depends on whether we have cartels in the car industry. Will one car maker dare reduce its prices to sell more, or just work with others to keep prices high?

This is why I don't think buying an EV right now is a good idea, because the cost of a new EV will only be getting cheaper as time goes on (and that's even with inflation) and that will hit residuals. Far better to lease or even rent with one of the car subscription services, so someone else will take the hit. On the plus side, it all just keeps meaning that second hand EVs are going to become even better deals year after year - plus despite the fact most people will never need to change their battery, anyone that does and can't source one from a scrapyard or whatever will find that a brand new, factory-fresh, battery is going to be less.

By 2030, I can't see many people still wanting an ICE vehicle, or even a hybrid. The latter may still have a market for some edge cases, but a pure ICE? The demand is likely to be such that I can't see them being sold in many markets. Car makers could still make them for some places, but do you think they'll be sold in the UK?
Add to the initial purchase price disincentives when sticking with ICVs, there's the steady increase in fuel costs, both from rising taxes, (either direct or indirect) and the greater proportion of manufacturing and distribution costs that will be recovered from a dwindling number of buyers. Filling stations will be closed at an even greater rate than they are now. Just look at how the cost of coal has risen.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
Add to the initial purchase price disincentives when sticking with ICVs, there's the steady increase in fuel costs, both from rising taxes, (either direct or indirect) and the greater proportion of manufacturing and distribution costs that will be recovered from a dwindling number of buyers. Filling stations will be closed at an even greater rate than they are now. Just look at how the cost of coal has risen.

I was at Everything Electric over the weekend and saw the Renault 5 EV that I have fallen in love with, and next to the Renault stand was Octopus, who hope to be announcing their complete package (car, servicing, tyres, 4,000 miles of charging for free, home charger install and so on) and with it being one of the first to support V2G (Vehicle to Grid) which is subject to regulator approval.

If this approval is given, Octopus will be using this as one of the first cars to be 'sold' with a hook up to take power from the Renault battery to balance the grid, with payments being made - or perhaps just powering the home during the peak times of 1600-1900. Given many home batteries are going to be nearer 5, 10 or 15kWh and the ca`r has 40-50kWh, that's quite a lot of power that many people may be willing to sacrifice some power from to make money. I don't know what output the car can do, with many home batteries only being able to give 3-4kWh, but this is something that's going to clearly make a huge difference in the future.

Octopus will also package up solar panels, heat pumps and whatever else you want - which will surely encourage more and more people to invest in solutions that could see the near or even total elimination of monthly bills... and payback times for the investment in under 10 years in some cases (admittedly, there's a lot of talk about the reduction in income from selling energy back to the grid at all but the most busy times, as supply increases) but I'm still keen on being more energy independent, with the income from selling excess power not being my primary goal.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I was at Everything Electric over the weekend and saw the Renault 5 EV that I have fallen in love with, and next to the Renault stand was Octopus, who hope to be announcing their complete package (car, servicing, tyres, 4,000 miles of charging for free, home charger install and so on) and with it being one of the first to support V2G (Vehicle to Grid) which is subject to regulator approval.

If this approval is given, Octopus will be using this as one of the first cars to be 'sold' with a hook up to take power from the Renault battery to balance the grid, with payments being made - or perhaps just powering the home during the peak times of 1600-1900. Given many home batteries are going to be nearer 5, 10 or 15kWh and the ca`r has 40-50kWh, that's quite a lot of power that many people may be willing to sacrifice some power from to make money. I don't know what output the car can do, with many home batteries only being able to give 3-4kWh, but this is something that's going to clearly make a huge difference in the future.

Octopus will also package up solar panels, heat pumps and whatever else you want - which will surely encourage more and more people to invest in solutions that could see the near or even total elimination of monthly bills... and payback times for the investment in under 10 years in some cases (admittedly, there's a lot of talk about the reduction in income from selling energy back to the grid at all but the most busy times, as supply increases) but I'm still keen on being more energy independent, with the income from selling excess power not being my primary goal.
I've just moved over to Octopus and despite problems in wrestling control of export from OVO, a newly installed 10kWh battery has certainly helped reduce our carbon footprint.
Their VtoG plans that you mentioned are also encouraging as the capacity of a typical car battery exceeds the practical home battery size. That brings the possibility of emergency off-line cover into play. My new inverter has the ability to deliver up to 3kW to a high priority load, (e.g. a freezer and some emergency lighting) via an auxiliary output. Such a facility can increase supply security if/when grid limitations cause local load shedding.
 

Noddy

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
1,656
Location
UK
The ICE version is actually a hybrid, which usually has a higher price than pure ICEs. Since it is a new model, and not a replacement, it is not easy to see if the hybrid price has gone up or the EV price has come down.

I also think ICE prices will rise because of the fines imposed on car manufacturers if they sell less than a certain %age of total sales as EV (or possibly hybrids). To cover the cost of the fines, ICE car prices must presumably rise.

Yes but it’s only a mild hybrid, which is fairly standard these days, not a PHEV (or ‘self charging’ car).
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,609
Location
Wales
Given many home batteries are going to be nearer 5, 10 or 15kWh and the ca`r has 40-50kWh, that's quite a lot of power that many people may be willing to sacrifice some power from to make money.
This evening would be a good time to export to the grid. Consumer price gets as high as 71p/kWh at one point.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
This evening would be a good time to export to the grid. Consumer price gets as high as 71p/kWh at one point.
69p from 1830 here. But quite possibly back to zero or negative later in the week.

I think the huge jump today (highest for all of 2024?) is down to some losses of supply and a 35% risk of not being able to meet demand.

I got -1p yesterday so used that time to do some 90 degrees washing of bed linen so I think I'll still be quids in despite the spike. But a battery would be great for these occasions.
 

Noddy

Established Member
Joined
11 Oct 2014
Messages
1,656
Location
UK
The range is a full EV or a mild hybrid ICE.

Er I think that’s what I said/is the point of the ‘price parity’ comparison (even though I don’t think the comparison is fair/truly there yet).
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
Er I think that’s what I said/is the point of the ‘price parity’ comparison (even though I don’t think the comparison is fair/truly there yet).
I think we're at cross purposes. The announcement from Stellantis or the 'news' implied that this was the first EV car which is priced the same as an ICE, whereas the ICE version is actually a hybrid. Therefore it is not so surprising that a hybrid and an EV are the same price. An EV at the same price as a plain ICE would be news.
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,609
Location
Wales
69p from 1830 here. But quite possibly back to zero or negative later in the week.

I think the huge jump today (highest for all of 2024?) is down to some losses of supply and a 35% risk of not being able to meet demand.

I got -1p yesterday so used that time to do some 90 degrees washing of bed linen so I think I'll still be quids in despite the spike. But a battery would be great for these occasions.
I got some washing done first thing Sunday, essentially for free. Also cranked the bathroom heating (electric, underfloor) up. Tomorrow is more sensibly priced, if still a little higher than usual. Wind is forecast to pick up Tuesday night/Wednesday morning so expect a bit of a drop then. Friday is looking even better.
 

Top