Bletchleyite
Veteran Member
I think the same applies to everyone in a village. I have 3 buses a day but none before 10 or after 5. I have no safe walking route to the main village with shops & no bike parking at destination. I'm on emergency call for work & an elderly relative. I will probably always need a car, but the second one will go as soon as other options are possible which I hope to happen this year.
One thing that might help this sort of situation is for the Government to make the operation of rural volunteer community minibus services easier.
This might include things like:
- Reinstating D1 (101) entitlement for non-profit minibus use under Section 19/23 on all post-1997 licences (they've done B+E already, it's not much of a step to do D1 and C1 (101) as well). You can use 3500kg buses or 9 seaters without but there are so few 3500kg buses, and with economic 9 seaters it's mostly "wheelchair or seats".
- Providing free MiDAS training or similar
- Providing templates and assistance for setting up a suitable organisation
- Providing non-profit access to vehicle acquisition e.g. loans/leasing/maintenance
- Providing an easy online portal for such operations to register local bus routes if they wish to operate that way, with no 56 day requirement
- Providing a booking portal and telephone booking service these services can opt into, and mobile apps to ease operating them
Think about how the Scout Assocation provides you with the framework and support to create a local youth provision if you want - but a minibus service is far simpler than a multifaceted youth provision!
I have half a feeling that the Dutch Buurtbus very-local services are run on this sort of model.