Genuine question for EV owners - if you're unable to charge at home, is it really horrendously expensive to charge at public charge points? How does it compare cost-wise with having to fuel up a car with an internal combustion engine?
I keep hearing this nonsense about not being able to charge at home, but I'm unable to refuel my petrol car at home. The village I live in has been devoid of petrol pumps for a good 20 years or thereabouts, so it's a good 12-14 mile round trip to one of the nearby towns. If I had an EV, I'd be able to drive less than half a mile to the nearest charging point, park it up, go for a walk and come back to find it ready to go.
As far as range-anxiety goes I'm lucky in that there are 24-hour filling stations nearby, but there have been a few occasions where I've been out for a random country drive and miscalculated how much juice I'd need to get home; EV chargers don't close at 7pm!
The answer is it depends (unfortunately). In general public charging is far more expensive-I pay 7.5p at home, when I use public charging it’s typically in the range of 60-75p (ish). However, there are exceptions, for example there are still a few free chargers near me (inevitably being used by plug in hybrids), and I know some local businesses offer cheap charging in the 20-30p range as they are on various charging apps but I think you need to be an employee or visitor to use them. To further complicate things there are subscription services as well-you pay a monthly fee to get reduced charging which is likely to be a sensible route to go if you are completely reliant on the public network. No one should be paying 85p unless you are absolutely desperate-just avoid networks charging that much.
But as an example taking my Cupra Born which (real world) averages 3.5kwh in winter and 4.5 in summer.
Winter at 3.5kwh:
7.5p (home-no VAT) = 2.15p per mile
28p (?private work (not mine)) = 8ppm
42p (Tesla open to all at Celtic Manor) = 12ppm
61p (Tesla open to all at Gloucester services) = 17.4ppm
64p (Westmorland Charging-Tebay/Gloucester etc) = 18.3ppm
79p (Gridserve) = 22.6ppm
Summer at 4.5kwh:
7.5p (home-no VAT) = 1.7p per mile
28p (?private work (not mine)) = 6.2ppm
42p (Tesla open to all at Celtic Manor) = 12ppm
61p (Tesla open to all at Gloucester services) = 13.6ppm
64p (Westmorland Charging-Tebay/Gloucester etc) = 14.2ppm
79p (Gridserve) = 17.6ppm
So in summer even the expensive Gridserve (over 10 times what I pay at home) is still comparable with a 40mpg car but in winter less so (and I know you’re in Scotland

). However what this pricing highlights is unfairness of home vs public charging. There is a campaign to reduce VAT on public charging which would make things slightly more equitable but unfortunately the current government appear completely uninterested.