• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK Rail Disruptions Twitter Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradNufc

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2013
Messages
24
Hello,

I used to be a volunteer on Rail Disruptions and we got hacked so we went quite and I would like to start a new twitter page on UK Rail Disriptions and update people on delays, ect... If you are interested in helping me set up this page please comment.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harlesden

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
968
Location
LONDON NW10
Excuse me for butting in before properly introducing myself, but the post above seems to contain an awful lot of typos for a guy announcing the set up of a Rail Disuption Twitter page.
Although not in the UK, I've been stalking the various TOC websites as well as this site and their own respective Twitter feeds are well publicised and well known.
 

Rich McLean

Established Member
Joined
6 Feb 2012
Messages
1,757
Hello,

I used to be a volunteer on Rail Disruptions and we got hacked so we went quite and I would like to start a new twitter page on UK Rail Disriptions and update people on delays, ect... If you are interested in helping me set up this page please comment.

The last one got locked down by National Rail Enquirers due to copyright issues, and many others have also been closed down. Is it really worth the effort.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
I don't think there is a market for it. I follow TOCs on twitter and look at NRE's live departure boards and find its adequate enough in most cases.

If only more knew what they could do with their phones instead of moaning about a delay when they could check on NRE on their mobile :rolleyes:

When you tell people info you can easily find on twitter/NRE they talk you as if you they think 'your in the know' or you've something miraculous to find the info out.
 

BradNufc

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2013
Messages
24
The last one got locked down by National Rail Enquirers due to copyright issues, and many others have also been closed down. Is it really worth the effort.

It was not taken down by national rail because we found out who did it!!
 

Moonshot

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2013
Messages
3,806
Brad - I'm sure you could find better things to do with your time...don't bother. As others have pointed out, the TOCs are way better at this
 

Railsigns

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2010
Messages
2,754
Excuse me for butting in before properly introducing myself, but the post above seems to contain an awful lot of typos for a guy announcing the set up of a Rail Disuption Twitter page.

Ooooops! You make a valid point, though.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
It was not taken down by national rail because we found out who did it!!

I expect there to have been a number of twitter users report the account to twitter (including myself). So if you're just going on info of another person behind the account, there is a high chance it is not true. The last thing I heard about the account was rumours that some RTVs had been untruthfully attained.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Yeh I know but im so bored at the minute.

That is not a valid reason to duplicate disruption info on your own Twitter feed! Only do this if local transport info is seriously lacking, or you have a genius idea which can really help passengers. And, given the plight of many unofficial travel news accounts, which I'd suggest may well see rather fewer followers & interactions than they might hope for, you'll probably get "more bored".
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Yeh I know but im so bored at the minute.

Firstly you will get bored of doing something like this very quickly. So you won't be able to provide a reliable 24/7 service. Secondly, I doubt London Underground commuters care about signal failures in the Highlands, so why make people follow a national account rather than just the TOCs that are relevant. Thirdly, if your spelling is as good as it is on here, then you may loose followers. Fourthly, with TOC accounts you can also communicate directly with the TOC - with yours, you can't.

I'm sure I'll think of some more things later.
 

SPADTrap

Established Member
Joined
15 Oct 2012
Messages
2,355
Firstly you will get bored of doing something like this very quickly. So you won't be able to provide a reliable 24/7 service. Secondly, I doubt London Underground commuters care about signal failures in the Highlands, so why make people follow a national account rather than just the TOCs that are relevant. Thirdly, if your spelling is as good as it is on here, then you may loose followers. Fourthly, with TOC accounts you can also communicate directly with the TOC - with yours, you can't.

I'm sure I'll think of some more things later.

Don't think too hard just yet!

:p

<D
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
Hello,

I used to be a volunteer on Rail Disruptions and we got hacked so we went quite and I would like to start a new twitter page on UK Rail Disriptions and update people on delays, ect...
I wouldn't call that being "hacked".

I heard about this Twitter account, as I found it amusing and ironic that tmckinnin was a volunteer.

How would you find out about the delays anyway? Wouldn't you just be regurgitating delays from National Rail Enquiries and the TOCs themselves?
If you are interested in helping me set up this page please comment.
No, sorry.

And if you do get it set up, don't forget our rules regarding advertising ;)
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Running a twitter account 24/7 is hard work. I run one for a hyperlocal blog/news website, and have to remember to regularly read tweets of the accounts I follow numerous times a day, and respond real-time when events are happening. It can be really hard work. If it was something that was already being done better somewhere else, I wouldn't have the motivation beyond a few days.

Brad, leave it to the TOCs and Nartional Rail who pay teams of people to do this sort of thing. You won't be able to provide anything better, you'll soon get tired of the moans and questions you can't answer, and you won't see any personal gain from it.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I'm really not having a good spelling day today.

(I've checked this three times for mistakes)
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Well, the one time I tweeted a problem to the old Rail Disruptions UK feed, they replied basically saying "we don't see anything about this on NRE so we don't believe you".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top