• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK and Worldwide Tram Fare evasion figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwantjason

New Member
Joined
17 Nov 2015
Messages
2
Hi all,

I am carrying out a project related to what tram systems have in place for customers to purchase tickets against what is in place for those tickets to be checked. Then looking at the overall effectiveness of these.

Does anyone have any information that might help or can be discussed such as:

1) Is the system gated?
2) Do they have ticket machines?
3) Do they have Conductors?
4) Cost of Penalty fare
5) How useful are the systems they have in place to reduce fare evasion?
6) Is there any figures out there stating what each systems fare evasions rates are? If so why are they so high or low?

Any help, guidance and information would be greatly appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
It would be useful to know whether you are asking about a specific team system or country?

I have never seen a tram system with ticket gates, to start with, except where those gates are in place because of a different form of a transport being present.

It might also help with your research to place some definition on some of your questions- for example "do they have ticket machines" is difficult to answer as many will partly have some, so asking for either the percentage of stops with machines, machines per platform, machines on the network, stops with machines, or some other measure would allow for better comparison. Alternatively you could define bands such as "none/some stops/many stops/most stops/all" - there may be other retail routes too.

Please don't take my post personally, I am quite interested to see the results of your research but I'd like if I can to try and help you make them as good as they can be!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
It might also help with your research to place some definition on some of your questions- for example "do they have ticket machines" is difficult to answer as many will partly have some, so asking for either the percentage of stops with machines, machines per platform, machines on the network, stops with machines, or some other measure would allow for better comparison. Alternatively you could define bands such as "none/some stops/many stops/most stops/all" - there may be other retail routes too.

Please don't take my post personally, I am quite interested to see the results of your research but I'd like if I can to try and help you make them as good as they can be!

And is it worth distinguishing between ticket machines on tram and at stops? ISTR Erfurt having a mixture, for example, but the on board machines had limited capability. Or is that making it too complex?
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
andrewkeith5:2365405 said:
It would be useful to know whether you are asking about a specific team system or country?

I have never seen a tram system with ticket gates, to start with, except where those gates are in place because of a different form of a transport being present.

It might also help with your research to place some definition on some of your questions- for example "do they have ticket machines" is difficult to answer as many will partly have some, so asking for either the percentage of stops with machines, machines per platform, machines on the network, stops with machines, or some other measure would allow for better comparison. Alternatively you could define bands such as "none/some stops/many stops/most stops/all" - there may be other retail routes too.

Please don't take my post personally, I am quite interested to see the results of your research but I'd like if I can to try and help you make them as good as they can be!
Are we calling the Tyne and Wear Metro a tram system?
 

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
Are we calling the Tyne and Wear Metro a tram system?


I feel like we're getting a tad pedantic for this particular project, I was just trying to suggest ways of phrasing the questions to get more consistent answers so that the research had more stable groundings.

But I'd say that if we call Tyne and Wear Metro a tram system then we're going to have to call DLR one too....
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,724
Location
Nottingham
Joined
10 Mar 2013
Messages
1,010
It would be useful to know whether you are asking about a specific team system or country?

I have never seen a tram system with ticket gates, to start with, except where those gates are in place because of a different form of a transport being present.

given the street running nature of trams i'd agree with that rather than the s-bahn / T+W metro style systems where it;s all reserved tracks and the stations are similar in style to a heavy rail station ( or as is the case with the T+W system were/ are heavy rail stations on at least part of the network)
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,463
Location
Yorkshire
1) Is the system gated?
A gated tram system?!

Even the DfT wouldn't be 'DafT' enough to implement such a thing, and I very much doubt any other countries do. It would surely be totally impractical!

(Of course having one or two central stations gated, as an exception to the rule, may be feasible on some networks, but that would be rather different to gating the system!)
 

Quakkerillo

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2015
Messages
553
The only gated tram system that I know is in Istanbul.
Then there's Brussels, where parts of the tram system are underground, and called 'Pre-metro', which look like metro stations, and will be upgraded to it in due course. These stations already have the metro ticket gates installed
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
There are ticket gates on the Muni Tram system in San Fransisco, at stations in the Market Street Subway, and Twin Peaks tunnel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top