One thing for sure, it isn't going to get any better soon.
What makes you think that? I really am worried now if employees aren't towing the company line! D:
One thing for sure, it isn't going to get any better soon.
What makes you think that? I really am worried now if employees aren't towing the company line! D:
Current stock will only become worse over time, increase maintenance costs for little rewards mileage-wise.
Current planning is for a cut to services in January, which in effect will mean more time for maintenance and less mileage. However, if you do not have enough staff to do the maintenance, or the necessary spare parts, then very little will change.
I haven't found out what caused the failure this morning but I do know that there were two failures last week caused by the same fault, which could have been a lot worse were it not for the effort of the drivers involved.
One would hope January's timetable change will cause not only the anticipated public uproar, but also a political one, so that the 'Northern powerhouse' soundbite may become more of a reality. I for one will demand that my MP puts pressure upon Nexus and the DfT.
There will be no uproar at all. There will be complaints, but it's mostly peak time trains being removed and services being given more dwell times with shorter turnarounds.
There will be no uproar at all. There will be complaints.
It may well have been, but this was mentioned in the Autumn statement and there is a minister responsible for this soundbite, so it isn't completely dead.That 'Northern Powerhouse' you speak of is George Osborne's baby, none of the current lot on Government seem to speak much of it.
New timetable expected from January, and from what I have heard at least two peak services in both the morning and evening will be removed, more than likely to be those that do the least mileage. For example, 116 (which is always the first to be cancelled on an evening if there are not enough spare sets) only does Depot - Monkseaton sidings - Pelaw - Regent Centre. Very unlikely that this one will be missed.
I haven't heard about evening service but it was rumoured at the time that this would reduce from current levels.
I tend to let much busier peak workings sail past to catch a Regent St or Pelaw on return through the Central Belt.
Ideally, i'd rather see some of the Regent Centre services diverted to Monkseaton, as the trains on that stretch are normally rammed by the time I see them at South Gosforth, but you'd need to increase the number of trains in service, not reduce them.
When I've used those services they tend to empty out at Longbenton (school and DWP offices) and the rest at Four Lane Ends (presumably Quorum workers connecting to the shuttle or walking down) it's normally very light loadings after that.
I haven't heard about evening service but it was rumoured at the time that this would reduce from current levels.
Cutting Monday to Friday daytime to 4tph on each line probably won't even be noticed. But when we think they used to run 12tph North Shields-St James at one point, it really is quite pathetic. It's no wonder fare revenue is down.
It took me 35 minutes on the bus tonight from Quorum/Four Lane Ends to Newcastle and that's an average most nights. Metro would do it in 10.
Metro came into its own tonight, as it does, when Newcastle and Gateshead were gridlocked due to a Tyne Bridge closure.
You only need to look at the traffic when Metro went down last week to see the areas roads couldn't cope without Metro. Buses curtailed, huge delays, massive queues etc
It took me 35 minutes on the bus tonight from Quorum/Four Lane Ends to Newcastle and that's an average most nights. Metro would do it in 10.
MetroCar4058 said:I do agree. If I'm honest, the actual frequency doesn't matter when looking at perception. It is the fact that the service is being eroded which reduces public confidence.
From what I know the evening plan has been pushed back as more of a last case scenario. Again, from what I know there are plans for 2018 which will involve service going every 15 minutes on the branches during the day - currently 12 minutes - and then being strengthened at peaks wth peak services being extended further rather than terminating at Pelaw/Gosforth etc.
I have been shown an internal email from Nexus which outlines a few of their plans and it's definitely not looking good for the next 6 years - they expect the first new train to start testing in late 2021/2022. The service has been incredibly to being grounded 3 times in the last 18 months due to faults etc. That to me is significantly worrying and if going by the chaos that was the overhead wire fault last week I'll definitely start looking into other ways of getting around. It took me 1 and a half hours to get to Newcastle from Heworth. A 10/15 minute journey normally. The information on social media was there but often times the staff on the ground had no idea what was happening. I think a lot of people will get a shock when they start to see Nexus can't magically fix it when DB manage to run away.
Pretty sure you've posted something very similar to this before and you were found out to be lying.
We don't normally comment directly on posts in forums, but we would like to point out the above claims are completely untrue. There are no discussions about reducing service frequency and Nexus can afford the service we specify - passenger numbers have risen sharply in the last two years and Metro now operates without local council subsidy, on a combination of fares and Government rail grant.
TFL are in some ways similar, the Pic and Bakerloo line are operating with ancient stock, beyond their design life and older than the MetroCars. The difference is, TFL has a plan and that is admittedly down to better funding, but also much better planning and taxation systems in London which support TfL.they would never let this happen to the Tube.
Anyone had a chance to get down to Central, what do yous think of it? I must say, not exactly impressed and it still appears to be nowhere near done.
Central is a joke tbh. The platform lighting is terrible and should have been either in the middle of the platform, or at the edge instead you're left with the platform edge being darker, and the back of the platform against the wall being brighter. The platforms in general are darker since the refurb.
The escalators to the concourse from the platforms look terrible too, some of the roof panels haven't been cut properly and so their are gaps. Some of the tiling still hasn't been done. Its bright but it looks cheap and tacky.
When compared to Haymarket it just looks absolutely appalling and that every possible corner was cut. I certainly hope that when they refurb Monument it is done to Haymarket's standard rather than Central Stations standard.
I mean, I think the most ridiculous thing about it is that it's taken closing Central Station from 8pm each evening for the last year, to deliver stuff that it takes TfL about 2 nights to do.
Wasn't a huge part of the problem all the asbestos? In fairness, TfL don't do station refurbishments any quicker, most stations getting a full overhaul will be shut for months at a time. Tottenham Court Road's Central Line platforms were shut permanently for about six months.
I don't understand the hate on the refurbishment at Central, the lighting is plenty bright enough, the signage is a lot better, and the departure monitors at the top of the escalators (when they work!) is a good touch. Compare it to the 80s timewarp at Jesmond.
TFL are in some ways similar, the Pic and Bakerloo line are operating with ancient stock, beyond their design life and older than the MetroCars. The difference is, TFL has a plan and that is admittedly down to better funding, but also much better planning and taxation systems in London which support TfL.
The Pic is currently operating to a severely disrupted timetable due to half of the stock being out of service due to flats; this is likely to be happening over a 3 week timetable. So we are rather lucky in some respects.