• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
In my eyes I do see how passengers get frustrated with Nexus for wasting so much money on unneeded things such as these adverts, Metro Ken who we can only presume has been retired and the new PA - I agree this money should have been invested in refurbishing, not just painting some of the smaller stations.

I must admit the new PA isn't all awful. My biggest niggles are 'Central' and the reduced Monument announcement which lacks the platforms and has too many 'ands' in it. Furthermore I'm not a fan of St James via Whitley Bay ;) Unfortunately Metro refused to give me a copy of the PA.

Surely Metro would gain money from these adverts also, I don't see a big issue with the ads to be honest.

Regarding "Metro Ken" is that not him on the posters? Is Ken McKay still works for Nexus?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Metro Ken who we can only presume has been retired

Metro Ken is alive and well :p Their hasn't been much in the way of engineering works though lately. I believe he is being used for the upcoming Sunday works between Gateshead Stadium and Jarrow/Brockley Whins

I must admit the new PA isn't all awful. My biggest niggles are 'Central' and the reduced Monument announcement which lacks the platforms and has too many 'ands' in it. Furthermore I'm not a fan of St James via Whitley Bay ;) Unfortunately Metro refused to give me a copy of the PA.

:o I remember you non-stop slagging him off :p

Try a Freedom of Information request.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Anyone know the reason for the current speed restriction between Hebburn and Pelaw?

As far as I know there is no restriction in place, at least there wasn't one this morning/early afternoon.

Might be a case that the train was running ahead of time so was going slower over this section to bring it back near enough on time. Normally happens if one train is late into Jarrow, the other train will be signalled through. As a result by the time it gets to Hebburn it can be 2+ minutes up.
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
As far as I know there is no restriction in place, at least there wasn't one this morning/early afternoon.

Might be a case that the train was running ahead of time so was going slower over this section to bring it back near enough on time. Normally happens if one train is late into Jarrow, the other train will be signalled through. As a result by the time it gets to Hebburn it can be 2+ minutes up.

It's between the two stations heading in the direction of Hebburn to Pelaw. Starts slightly after leaving hebburn and ends just after the pedestrian crossing.

Might just be the actual speed limit as it has been in place for like a month now, but it's the tiny little speed limit signs which they usually have for temporary ones so I presumed was a restriction.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
It's a bloody TV advert about going somewhere on the metro this summer.

I've seen these adverts down here in the London TV area; rather surprising?

Is it definitely T&W Metro and not something to do with the Metro newspaper; that has editions all over the country doesn't it?
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I've seen these adverts down here in the London TV area; rather surprising?

Is it definitely T&W Metro and not something to do with the Metro newspaper; that has editions all over the country doesn't it?

Definitely Metro the transport.

Likely means they've paid through the nose for national ads when most people won't care and aren't going to visit the area just because of a Metro system.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
Are there any major national events planned in the Newcastle area later this year? Sporting events or anything else that would attract a large influx of visitors?
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Are there any major national events planned in the Newcastle area later this year? Sporting events or anything else that would attract a large influx of visitors?

Nothing unusual. Great North Run, Sunderland Air show. Even those two Metro may well be on strike when they are on.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I've noticed a few issues with units of late, including 4058 :( :

Longer doors closing tone
Very late PA
Big chunks of white plastic missing in the articulated area: possibly due to the black plastic used. 4028 is the worst for that.
Doors needing to be disarmed and rearmed due to them not closing
Doors closing tones repeating again after they have closed. This sometimes even requires the driver to disarm and rearm.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
And the small matter of the Rugby Union World Cup...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still isn't exactly much of a reason for a national advert, especially not at the price they'll have paid for the likely return.

I've noticed a few issues with units of late, including 4058 :( :

Longer doors closing tone
Very late PA
Big chunks of white plastic missing in the articulated area: possibly due to the black plastic used. 4028 is the worst for that.
Doors needing to be disarmed and rearmed due to them not closing
Doors closing tones repeating again after they have closed. This sometimes even requires the driver to disarm and rearm.

I've noticed on a lot of the refurbs the window seals are breaking. The lights are also incredibly dim. One of the sets may as well have had the lights off since they were so dim. A few units have also had headlight/tail light bulbs that have't been working.

One of the cars had a massive crack in the exterior of the bodywork near the drivers cab door. I let the driver know and he just shrugged and said 'thanks for letting me know'.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still isn't exactly much of a reason for a national advert, especially not at the price they'll have paid for the likely return.



I've noticed on a lot of the refurbs the window seals are breaking. The lights are also incredibly dim. One of the sets may as well have had the lights off since they were so dim. A few units have also had headlight/tail light bulbs that have't been working.

One of the cars had a massive crack in the exterior of the bodywork near the drivers cab door. I let the driver know and he just shrugged and said 'thanks for letting me know'.

I actually can't believe how poor the refurbishment was at Wabtec. After about 3 years of service some of them look awful and are eroding away rapidly. Allot of units only have one tail light working. Allot of the doors are lacking seals at the bottom also.

The lighting is a major issue on some of them I must say. It doesn't help when they leave them on while the train is stabled at the depot.

The issues with the doors are just embarrassing. Even the little fancy lights on some doors just stay on full time now.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
I actually can't believe how poor the refurbishment was at Wabtec. After about 3 years of service some of them look awful and are eroding away rapidly. Allot of units only have one tail light working. Allot of the doors are lacking seals at the bottom also.

The lighting is a major issue on some of them I must say. It doesn't help when they leave them on while the train is stabled at the depot.

The issues with the doors are just embarrassing. Even the little fancy lights on some doors just stay on full time now.

Reported on here a while back regarding the lighting issue, on unit 4010, you can see clearly some newer lighting has been fitted in the A end yet in the B end, nothing has changed so you got half of the unit brighter than the other half, the difference is noticetable.

4020 has in the last month or so had new lighting fitted as its much brighter on this car again, although it would be nice to have this done to all the cars, I just feel it will be too expensive to do sadly. You can also notice where any faulty lighting has been replaced, some of the contrasts are very noticetable to say the least.

For me, white was just the wrong colour to use, in fairness to Nexus/DB, you can see the floors are being cleaned to the best they can but even then, you won't get that true white colour back.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Reported on here a while back regarding the lighting issue, on unit 4010, you can see clearly some newer lighting has been fitted in the A end yet in the B end, nothing has changed so you got half of the unit brighter than the other half, the difference is noticetable.

4020 has in the last month or so had new lighting fitted as its much brighter on this car again, although it would be nice to have this done to all the cars, I just feel it will be too expensive to do sadly. You can also notice where any faulty lighting has been replaced, some of the contrasts are very noticetable to say the least.

For me, white was just the wrong colour to use, in fairness to Nexus/DB, you can see the floors are being cleaned to the best they can but even then, you won't get that true white colour back.

For me I'm not too bothered about the aesthetics of the units. But when the doors release and arm buttons are failing and the articulate is being cut into by the plastic, that's when I think it's s bit of a shambles :p

As said earlier, the units have worked incredibly well over the past 40 years and they are doing well to continue on.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
It's between the two stations heading in the direction of Hebburn to Pelaw. Starts slightly after leaving hebburn and ends just after the pedestrian crossing.

Might just be the actual speed limit as it has been in place for like a month now, but it's the tiny little speed limit signs which they usually have for temporary ones so I presumed was a restriction.

The speed limit leaving Hebburn towards Pelaw is 80 kph, which then drops down to 55 for the crossing, and back up to 80 after that. Depending on the time of day and whether the train is running on time or late, you will get drivers who will go for 80, but in most cases it is easier just to stick to 55 all the way from the platform until after the crossing. Saves energy and wearing out the brake pads.

One new temporary speed restriction popped up at the weekend leaving Regent Centre for South Gosforth - 30 kph for only a very short section.

Note any temporary speed restriction signage is black lettering on a yellow background. All permanent speed restrictions are black lettering on white background with the red border.
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
The speed limit leaving Hebburn towards Pelaw is 80 kph, which then drops down to 55 for the crossing, and back up to 80 after that. Depending on the time of day and whether the train is running on time or late, you will get drivers who will go for 80, but in most cases it is easier just to stick to 55 all the way from the platform until after the crossing. Saves energy and wearing out the brake pads.

One new temporary speed restriction popped up at the weekend leaving Regent Centre for South Gosforth - 30 kph for only a very short section.

Note any temporary speed restriction signage is black lettering on a yellow background. All permanent speed restrictions are black lettering on white background with the red border.

Ahh I see makes sense! Thank you. :)

Do you know what that temporary speed res is for between RC and SG? Just curious as to what sort of things make them put in speed restrictions. :p
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Ahh I see makes sense! Thank you. :)

Do you know what that temporary speed res is for between RC and SG? Just curious as to what sort of things make them put in speed restrictions. :p

They are doing work there over the coming weeks, renewing points and whatnot so they've probably started some of the track work. They've took over the park and ride at Kingston Park with all of the equipment and materials for the weekend works being based there, which I believe start this weekend.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
They are doing work there over the coming weeks, renewing points and whatnot so they've probably started some of the track work. They've took over the park and ride at Kingston Park with all of the equipment and materials for the weekend works being based there, which I believe start this weekend.

The works have been going on overnight for a while now. The upcoming weekend works though are going to be the big jobs that can't just be done overnight.

I believe almost everything is being replaced, signalling cables, cable trunking, as well as track, points and other things.

If anyone is up that way, I'd expect potential disruption on the Monday morning.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Yeah they have got pretty much everything knocking around at Kingston Park including the sleepers; I wonder if they will only be doing up to Bank Foot as the track down to Airport is only 20ish years old?

Luckily I won't be here for Monday morning!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite an interesting ride home. The issues with the articulated area seem to be quite common, allot of units have gaping holes from the friction. If anyone sees a person looking around at the articulated area, it's probably me! :p

Also one of the drivers left the interior cab door open on the back unit of 75/12: ooops! I wish I was on at the back now to take a look :lol:
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Ahh I see makes sense! Thank you. :)

Do you know what that temporary speed res is for between RC and SG? Just curious as to what sort of things make them put in speed restrictions. :p

Due to the engineering work at Regent Centre, there has been a change to the overhead wires.

TSRs are normally in place when there is a track defect, where track has just been replaced (like at Jesmond and over the QE bridge), or a problem with the overhead wires (Kingston Park to Fawdon for a while).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4001 and 4002 will be out today coupled together.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Are they renewing some of the collection equipment? 4024 appears to have a completely fresh pantograph.

In general they seem to be renewing allot of the equipment (if aesthetics is anything to judge by

Furthermore, did they give up with the purple cab design? I've noticed allot of the refurbs don't have it. I thought they only cut back on the B end and the less essential parts of the refurbishment. Does anyone know what else they have cut out of the A end refurbs?
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
4001 and 4002 will be out today coupled together.

Seems this did not happen as 4001 was still coupled with 4083 in the sidings.

Whilst waiting for me train home, I'm sure I heard from 4002/40 that it got the male PA's like the rest of the fleet has.

I did had a ride on 4019 a few days back and that still got the female announcer but it seems most if not all of the fleet has got the male announcer now.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
The female is unfortunately gone. I got my hopes up when I saw 4002 leading ;) I must say I really do struggle to hear the man! His tone blends in with the sounds around the unit and he is much harder to hear. This is common even with units which have the speakers on a louder setting.
 
Last edited:

TheHovisKid

Member
Joined
9 Sep 2008
Messages
311
Location
Heysham
Furthermore, did they give up with the purple cab design? I've noticed allot of the refurbs don't have it. I thought they only cut back on the B end and the less essential parts of the refurbishment. Does anyone know what else they have cut out of the A end refurbs?

The cabs are different at each end? Are the units cuupled a specific way round to take that into account?
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The cabs are different at each end? Are the units cuupled a specific way round to take that into account?

There is, all A end cabs have FASSI and because of this, the vast majority of pairings have the A end car leading, you can get some A and B ends leading on a minor few pairings. Pairings with both B cabs leading is very very rare these days.
 

tez thorn

On Moderation
Joined
8 May 2014
Messages
232
Location
Burradon
Unless i was seeing things yesterday (17th) when i was at

wallsend, but im sure 4014 and 4042 are being driven from 'B'

end
 

tjohnson86

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2012
Messages
38
The female is unfortunately gone. I got my hopes up when I saw 4002 leading ;) I must say I really do struggle to hear the man! His tone blends in with the sounds around the unit and he is much harder to hear. This is common even with units which have the speakers on a louder setting.

4019 still has the female announcements, but 4057, the unit it is currently paired with had the displays used go the male announcements, so I believe 4019 is the last unit remaining that still has the female voice. Personally I prefer the male voice as it sounds a bit less disjointed, but I do wish thy kept a few more cars with the female announcements just to add a bit of variety to the system. The act that 02/40 has the male announcements could suggest we'll be seeing it in use for a while yet, possibly due to the problems we've seen with 4067/77 being such elusive spots. 01/83 may have had their day now though.

On another note, I believe 4027 is now the only refurbished unit we are still waiting for to enter passenger service. Not sure if it's back from wabtec yet though.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
4019 still has the female announcements, but 4057, the unit it is currently paired with had the displays used go the male announcements, so I believe 4019 is the last unit remaining that still has the female voice. Personally I prefer the male voice as it sounds a bit less disjointed, but I do wish thy kept a few more cars with the female announcements just to add a bit of variety to the system. The act that 02/40 has the male announcements could suggest we'll be seeing it in use for a while yet, possibly due to the problems we've seen with 4067/77 being such elusive spots. 01/83 may have had their day now though.

On another note, I believe 4027 is now the only refurbished unit we are still waiting for to enter passenger service. Not sure if it's back from wabtec yet though.

I agree with the male announcements. He does still get on my nerves though :p The male announcements are here to stay.

01 will still run every now and again. From what I've heard it will be used when 4002 is in the depot for maintenance. Not confirmed though.

4027 is back from Wabtec and is in service. I'm sure I was on it the other day, unless I was seeing things :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top