• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Today has been a bit disappointing on the Metro, should it really have taken that long to clear that issue. Nevermind, at least a RBS was offered and there was an official apology. Has anyone got any further news on 4001?

They sorted it pretty fast tbh.

At least there was a bus replacement in operation albeit the ques I seen personally and from the photos on the EC website did look a bit beyond the joke, I'd like to think a bus replacement was in operation because of 1) its the right thing to do in unplanned closures of lines and 2) It looked like the line would be suspended for a good period of time but I would not be surprised if Nexus put them on because they seen the volume of people at that time of morning.

A bit of a daft question, why couldnt the other metrocar that was paired with 4089 not be able to move the failed set, surely the fault such as this would be isolated just to 4089?

Whilst it will no doubt be out of service for a bit, I'd like to hope when it comes back into service, it will have new wheels so the ride can be a lot more smoother.

Bus replacement was actually great! Yes, there was a queue but the bus showed up and everyone got on (the queue was no longer there), yes there were about 6 or 7 people standing but everyone else was sat down and we could have got more people on. There appeared to be 4 buses running, which is the perfect amount to me, anything more and there would be too many that would just delay people and anything less would cause huge queues. Mind you, I travelled at 0930, so maybe earlier during the full peak it was heaving, but certainly not going to make people hour's late for work - as many were claiming on FB.

It took me 1 hour more than usual, but if I'd left for the train before the train I usually get (so around 40 minutes later than I did) I would have been on the same train. I reached Jarrow and just missed a train, then the next train terminated at Hebburn, then finally the train to Heworth showed up.

The wheels were essentially locked in place, so the train couldn't move at all. The power had to also be cut off whilst they then jacked the train up onto some wheel skates (essentially rollerblades for train wheels) and doing that meant no trains from Monument to Jarrow/Brockley Whins (I think it's Monument not 100% sure though), meaning if they did it at a busy time then it would only cause more disruption as there would be more people waiting for buses etc. Once the train was made safe to go back to the depot it was taken back at a low restricted speed - 20kmh I believe. The old Pelaw shorts that were abandoned in Pelaw (Pelaw had 6 metrocars when I went passed - possibly 8) were then made into normal services to try and re-regulate the service, then trains were juggled around from there to try and get back to timetable (timetable not being a priority, a frequent service is the priority).

4001 and 4002 have been out of service awaiting spare parts for the doors.

4002 was out this morning? Possibly fixed?

1233 at Bank Foot took out of service, I'm fed up! Gonna actually claim my money back this time as it's becomg too frequency :/ oh 5057 has an A link issue too, bloody Metro

I got caught up in that as well. I was at Kingston Park only to have to wait 20 minutes for the next train. The delay was only around 10 minutes though (the train failed so you got the next one 12 minutes later) so arguably they won't give you your money back.

The announcements problem? If so, it's not a fault, it just means it's working and either hasn't been set up properly or one of the other boards is faulty - '142094' posted about it a while ago IIRC


4002 is currently paired with 4001. A relatively rare sight to see! They are operating service 101 Airport to South Hylton. 4002 is leading to Airport.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
After the rage I've decided it isn't worth trying to get a refund. The member of staff at Central said I would have got a refund as I waited 25 minutes and she encouraged me to do so, as it calculated from your arrival time and the trains arrival time - she was really helpful and friendly; a great credit to Metro.

Let's hope I miss the 01/02 pairing then ;) noticed she wasn't sat outside the depot today.

I thought 142094 said that it indicated a fault with the system? Not that the driver was at fault, but I could be wrong.
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
After the rage I've decided it isn't worth trying to get a refund. The member of staff at Central said I would have got a refund as I waited 25 minutes and she encouraged me to do so, as it calculated from your arrival time and the trains arrival time - she was really helpful and friendly; a great credit to Metro.

Let's hope I miss the 01/02 pairing then ;) noticed she wasn't sat outside the depot today.

I thought 142094 said that it indicated a fault with the system? Not that the driver was at fault, but I could be wrong.

Hmm, that's interesting then. I've always thought of a delay as how long you would have had to of waited from the first train you could of boarded. So say I get to the station at 6:45 for the 6:55 train, but the 6:55 doesn't show and the next train is 7:05, does that mean I've been delayed by more than 15 minutes, because I haven't. I've been delayed 10 minutes. Or if the next train was at 7:00, I've been delayed 5 minutes.

Yes, it means theres a fault with one of the boards, but the board with 'NEXUS Metro A lk' (or something like that) works, it's another one that's faulty. It can also mean the train wasn't fully shut down when the driver switched ends.
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Hmm, that's interesting then. I've always thought of a delay as how long you would have had to of waited from the first train you could of boarded. So say I get to the station at 6:45 for the 6:55 train, but the 6:55 doesn't show and the next train is 7:05, does that mean I've been delayed by more than 15 minutes, because I haven't. I've been delayed 10 minutes. Or if the next train was at 7:00, I've been delayed 5 minutes.

Yes, it means theres a fault with one of the boards, but the board with 'NEXUS Metro A lk' (or something like that) works, it's another one that's faulty. It can also mean the train wasn't fully shut down when the driver switched ends.


I was surprised myself - this is the quote from the website 'If you wait on a platform for more than 15 minutes longer than advertised or the Metro train you are on is delayed by more than 15 minutes, we will refund you the cost of your single journey Metro ticket*.'

That may be the key bit, but hey I can't be bothered, it isn't worth complaining about. I just hope when we get back to a full complement we can get these issues nailed. I believe Nexus will look at this on a case by case situation as there is always gonna be technicalities.

About the link, its a bit disappointing if it is something a driver could avoid, especially for those coming in from other areas.
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
4001/02 must have returned to service only today as 4002 was sitting on the west end of the depot last night. Both have been out of service for about a week.

NEXUS Metro A lk means there is a disruption to the feed from the A end of the train, so not something the driver can sort out.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
I got caught up in the delays yesterday morning, boarded at Jarrow 0806, left 0821 towards Newcastle. Moved on to Hebburn and waited another 15 minutes then eventually off to Pelaw. Got there at 0844, really put me behind the plan yesterday! I doubt I can claim my Zone B DaySaver back for that delay though, especially from afar!

Gutted I missed 4001 and 4002 today, hopefully I'll get them next time I'm up there :) Managed a few unrefurbished pairs at least this week so it's not all bad :) Of course, the trip report will eventually tell all!
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Does anyone know what has happened today?

'There are delays systemwide due to a technical fault. Delays of up to 30 mins between Airport and South Hylton Delays of up to 45 mins between St James and South Shields Delays of up to 30 mins between South Gosforth and Pelaw'
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Train failed at Regent Centre and was sent back to the depot. Then the points at Jesmond failed, delaying everything going south. Then a few hours later, they failed again.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Does anyone know what has happened today?

'There are delays systemwide due to a technical fault. Delays of up to 30 mins between Airport and South Hylton Delays of up to 45 mins between St James and South Shields Delays of up to 30 mins between South Gosforth and Pelaw'

Points failure at Jesmond, twice, and two trains were withdrawn.

Nevermind, 142 got there before me :p
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Where did we buy all this new track from, WheelerDealerTrack.com? Nah I'm only kidding, at least it was dealt with rapidly and everything was running to only a smallish delay considering the event that occurred.

I really think we are going through a teething period with the new equipment, I think it will improve as it settles in. As for the trains I'm sure they will also get better when we get back to a full compliment as trains can get more tlc. I mean we had 3/4 MetroCars out of service at one stage last week, which pushed us down to 82 - tight times.

I think we will be seeing allot more of 01/02 pairing, as there will only be 4 non refurbs left, I just hope Nexus keeps them in full service - I know the 2018 regulation might cause some trouble, but if they get the post refurbished doors tone shouldn't they be pretty much up to the standards?
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Where did we buy all this new track from, WheelerDealerTrack.com? Nah I'm only kidding, at least it was dealt with rapidly and everything was running to only a smallish delay considering the event that occurred.

I really think we are going through a teething period with the new equipment, I think it will improve as it settles in. As for the trains I'm sure they will also get better when we get back to a full compliment as trains can get more tlc. I mean we had 3/4 MetroCars out of service at one stage last week, which pushed us down to 82 - tight times.

I think we will be seeing allot more of 01/02 pairing, as there will only be 4 non refurbs left, I just hope Nexus keeps them in full service - I know the 2018 regulation might cause some trouble, but if they get the post refurbished doors tone shouldn't they be pretty much up to the standards?

Smallish delay? Arguably, it was. But as it's a Sunday, trains were every 30 minutes to start with, add in a delay and that delay is a lot larger than it would be through the week.

Also, whilst I know a lot of people mention the fact we don't have many Metrocars left 'spare' during the peaks you also need to bear in mind that those peak extras at least two or three could probably not be run - in fact I'd argue you only really need 10 peak services, with 5 of those services stabling at Pelaw until the evening peak.

Obviously, Metro get fined for every service that doesn't run, but surely delay minutes caused by a failed train will amount to more money than not running at all. Especially in the peak when even a 2 minute delay to one train can cause 10+ minute delays to other services.

01/02 were back in the depot today, I believe they ran an additional service for the Newcastle game but other than that I don't think they ran. 2018 regulation? I believe all Metrocars are compliant already (well, as much as possible, the only main issue is train to platform accessibility). Something I found out and is quite interesting is the fact that the Government (Department for Transport) still believe all 90 Metrocars are being refurbished.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Metro want to get on and fix the PA system, as it wasn't working on several units the other day (Saturday at least, if not Friday too) and would certainly not be very helpful to sight-impaired passengers!
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Metro want to get on and fix the PA system, as it wasn't working on several units the other day (Saturday at least, if not Friday too) and would certainly not be very helpful to sight-impaired passengers!

I think they want to fix the trains and constant delays first ;) It could also be that the driver just simply never bothered to set it up.

Hopefully, you had a relatively fun time up here - can't wait to read the trip report :p

I got caught up in the delays yesterday morning, boarded at Jarrow 0806, left 0821 towards Newcastle. Moved on to Hebburn and waited another 15 minutes then eventually off to Pelaw. Got there at 0844, really put me behind the plan yesterday! I doubt I can claim my Zone B DaySaver back for that delay though, especially from afar!

I'd claim it back! Send them an email (contactus@twmetro.co.uk), explain your situation and they'll probably help you sort it. You're supposed to get a form from a travelshop but obviously that would be difficult for you to do!
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
The text scrolling thing worked fine, but not the voice. Nearly got caught out by that, being in a world of mine trip planning whilst on the Metro :lol:

I've done the Kent Rover portion of my trip report, shall be moving on to the North East portion soon. Currently having a break from a massive session of adding journeys to RailMiles, which I'm now getting stupidly frustrated by as it doesn't have mileage for any Metro journeys, and it doesn't recognise the majority of the station names either. Which means adding them via the International Journey option, and I'll be here quite a while working out the mileages!

Who knows, I might be on the North East portion of the trip report later ;)

As for claiming it back, if I'd known that on Friday I'd have got a form and claimed it back. £2.70 is £2.70, I did try getting an answer from Metro's Twitter crew but they didn't bother replying. Nor did they reply to my query about when DaySavers became valid (an on-board revenue inspector told me), which is poor customer service!
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
As for claiming it back, if I'd known that on Friday I'd have got a form and claimed it back. £2.70 is £2.70, I did try getting an answer from Metro's Twitter crew but they didn't bother replying. Nor did they reply to my query about when DaySavers became valid (an on-board revenue inspector told me), which is poor customer service!

They barely use Twitter - the posts are automatic and it's manned by one person. They only monitor it 9-5 on a weekday and even then you'll be lucky to get a reply.

Daysavers are valid all-day, I think it says on the ticket machines. But, it would have been nice to get a response of them!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Ah right, oh well never mind eh? I didn't see validity mentioned on the machines, but could easily have missed it to be honest.

Hopefully I'll be back later in the year to finish the stations off and, fingers crossed, clear the fleet for sight at least!
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Pressure seems to be on Nexus at the moment, our performance of late has been beyond poor - almost worse than winter. The South Shields MP isn't too pleased. Its really saddening to see the system struggling like this.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/...-delays-cause-misery-for-passengers-1-7099470

It doesn't help when some passengers vent their anger on the Facebook page over their own mistakes, or over something that did not happen. I saw a comment about the driver saying the train terminated at Pelaw and then continued on to South Hylton behind a train took out of service - Although I don't know the full story, that clearly is wrong. If anything it would have been a Pelaw short being called onto the full stretch with the PA still on the Pelaw works, in which case the driver would have made an announcement to tell passengers the train was bound for South Hylton.



Heres a different message from Metro Ken as posted on the 'Sort the Metro' FB page; https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=a4f4d47b52883a3fab8a0b36defeddac&oe=5552D7C2
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Even if the driver makes announcements, there will still be 'x' number of people who:

a) Have headphones in
b) Are completely oblivious to what is happening
c) Are foreign
d) Are elderly and hard of hearing.

c) and d) cannot be helped, but a) and b) infuriate me.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Even if the driver makes announcements, there will still be 'x' number of people who:

a) Have headphones in
b) Are completely oblivious to what is happening
c) Are foreign
d) Are elderly and hard of hearing.

c) and d) cannot be helped, but a) and b) infuriate me.

Totally agree with you on that one - It is everyone else's fault bar their own
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Even if the driver makes announcements, there will still be 'x' number of people who:

a) Have headphones in
b) Are completely oblivious to what is happening
c) Are foreign
d) Are elderly and hard of hearing.

c) and d) cannot be helped, but a) and b) infuriate me.

It's quite amusing at South Gosforth when the odd train terminates there. I've noticed the driver usually releases the doors before closing them again and then having a wander through the train. The people left on board always have headphones on and don't even wonder why everyone else got off - it's gone from a full train (almost all seats taken) to an empty train and they don't even realise.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Funny you say that because I'll always remember when I was on a Regent short work and it terminated and the driver found a guy with headphones in on the back unit, so he had to let him out through the cab as he had armed the doors; when he walked past us on the platform he said 'headphones are dangerous stuff' how right he is :p
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Bit late, but due to the engineering work between Haymarket and South Gosforth, the little used crossover between Haymarket and Monument has been in use over the past two days. Same happening next week.

Also, on Friday there were 4 car sets being moved from the depot to Pelaw for service on the Saturday morning - something not normally seen when normal trains are running.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Out of curiosity, which bit of track are the renewing, somewhere near Jesmond points?

Yes, there is currently a TSR of 20 km/h through the area they have been working. Currently only affecting the line heading into Newcastle (platform 1).
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Oh dear, Metro don't help themselves when they make simple errors like they done on their fb page, okay its probably an automated message but you would of thought it could of been edited by someone.

I assume the technical problem could be the drivers monitors not working hence trains could not stop on P1 at Central. You do wish there could be more detail in these messages so at least the public could perhaps understand why trains could not stop there instead of a general term of "technical fault".
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Oh dear, Metro don't help themselves when they make simple errors like they done on their fb page, okay its probably an automated message but you would of thought it could of been edited by someone.

I assume the technical problem could be the drivers monitors not working hence trains could not stop on P1 at Central. You do wish there could be more detail in these messages so at least the public could perhaps understand why trains could not stop there instead of a general term of "technical fault".

That was the same message published to Twitter, the Nexus site and wherever else. It's basically someone in control writes it out and publishes it and it's automatically sent to Twitter/Facebook etc. Editing it, would mean republishing the information in another update (Twitter/Facebook are only manned 9-5).

Too much information and people will moan about how the driver/Metro could do it this other way (it's completely wrong but they think they know how to run a railway so of course it would work).
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Top monitor at Central Station platform 1 not working so all trains starting with 108 went non-stop to Gateshead until they could get a dispatcher on the platform.

The speed restriction between Kingston Park and Fawdon has now been removed after a new mast was installed.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Top monitor at Central Station platform 1 not working so all trains starting with 108 went non-stop to Gateshead until they could get a dispatcher on the platform.

The speed restriction between Kingston Park and Fawdon has now been removed after a new mast was installed.

Oh yes I noticed that one, it's much nicer flying past there instead of crawling along like we ah e for the past few months.

Noticed the Manors loop was closed yesterday, are they renewing the cable trough down there or is it something a bit more techy?
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
Not sure what day it returned, but 4089 is now back in service after its major failure the other week, paired with 4050 it was out yesterday on afternoon peak duties and today on TRB 127

4032 is also now in service after refurbishment
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Oh yes I noticed that one, it's much nicer flying past there instead of crawling along like we ah e for the past few months.

Noticed the Manors loop was closed yesterday, are they renewing the cable trough down there or is it something a bit more techy?

Quite funny though, as it seemed to lose it's TSR on Monday, but then the 20km/h TSR at Jesmond was put in.

Manors loop? Do you mean Manors curve towards Jesmond? If so, I believe it's because they are using it for the weekend engineering works. I believe there are a few machines being stored down there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top