• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
That is no good at all. Obviously Pop was the only smart card in Europe last year lol - I think its just because if the scale of the scheme.

Today I saw a man cheat the gates and walk behind someone who had just gone through, the ticket officers made no attempt to stop him, she only shouted 'Darling have you got a ticket' he then walked calmly past police officers who had heard her say that - disgrace, I even voiced my opinion as that is disgusting, the gate teams get paid to protect revenue and she just didn't bother at all, infact she just walked off all hunky dory. Very disappointing.

On return, Monument stunk of burning plastic and I think there was a train withdrawn from service at West Jesmond - Can anyone confirm this?

I know something about those gates that can make something like you saw easily to happen, now I understand why its operated like that and I doubt most people would even notice or catch on but I still shall not mention it on here but I'm surprised nothing appears to of been done about it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I know something about those gates that can make something like you saw easily to happen, now I understand why its operated like that and I doubt most people would even notice or catch on but I still shall not mention it on here but I'm surprised nothing appears to of been done about it.

Probably best that you don't encase we get some of those who would consider fare evasion come across this page, but for us regulars we just wouldn't do that, I'd say we were all too passionate (and decent) to even consider it! Now I really do wonder what it is but I do have an incline towards a certain aspect.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I know something about those gates that can make something like you saw easily to happen, now I understand why its operated like that and I doubt most people would even notice or catch on but I still shall not mention it on here but I'm surprised nothing appears to of been done about it.

If it is what I'm thinking it is, it will be a safety feature.

There are also two more safety features that I know of that will allow the gate(s) to be opened which are not as obvious.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
If it is what I'm thinking it is, it will be a safety feature.

There are also two more safety features that I know of that will allow the gate(s) to be opened which are not as obvious.

One of them is likely quite obvious, but people just don't look around their surroundings. It's also unlikely that any fare evader wanting to avoid the barriers will want to attract attention before they've even got to the other side, therefore jumping over them is likely the fastest way for them - it's also the best way as if they mess the jump up they could fall quite badly and god forbid they may hurt themselves...
 

Kryten2340

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
338
Location
Gateshead
Does anyone know what the problems at Gateshead were this morning? I boarded the 9:02 train for The Airport but as the previous Coast train was sat at the platform waiting for the signal to clear the Airport train was announced as the next train to arrive at platform 2 and you could see the headlights in the tunnel and when it arrived the same happened with the Monkseaton train being announced when the Airport train was waiting to clear.

This also happened last week causing at least two passengers that I heard of boarding a Regent Centre train thinking it was a Coast train.

I guess the circuits that trip the platform indicator don't take into account whether or not the train infront has cleared the platform but is it normal for trains to be bunched as close together as that?
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Does anyone know what the problems at Gateshead were this morning? I boarded the 9:02 train for The Airport but as the previous Coast train was sat at the platform waiting for the signal to clear the Airport train was announced as the next train to arrive at platform 2 and you could see the headlights in the tunnel and when it arrived the same happened with the Monkseaton train being announced when the Airport train was waiting to clear.

This also happened last week causing at least two passengers that I heard of boarding a Regent Centre train thinking it was a Coast train.

I guess the circuits that trip the platform indicator don't take into account whether or not the train infront has cleared the platform but is it normal for trains to be bunched as close together as that?


Although it may seem unusual, it is correct as it is stating the next train at the platform - it does seem confusing.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Does anyone know what the problems at Gateshead were this morning? I boarded the 9:02 train for The Airport but as the previous Coast train was sat at the platform waiting for the signal to clear the Airport train was announced as the next train to arrive at platform 2 and you could see the headlights in the tunnel and when it arrived the same happened with the Monkseaton train being announced when the Airport train was waiting to clear.

This also happened last week causing at least two passengers that I heard of boarding a Regent Centre train thinking it was a Coast train.

I guess the circuits that trip the platform indicator don't take into account whether or not the train infront has cleared the platform but is it normal for trains to be bunched as close together as that?

Check the front of the train, ultimately. Mind you, the number of times I've seen trains (or been on trains) that say 'St James' on the front when they are heading to 'South Shields' is way too high - possibly once a week at least.

Fawdon Platform 2 seems to be the worst culprit as it seems the circuit to say where the train is, is on on the other side of the level crossing and as a result it says 'Due' after the train has left the platform.

If there was a problem, and the train behind was at a red signal (I believe the signal that protects Gateshead is about half way into the tunnel between Gateshead Stadium and Gateshead) then it's unlikely you would see the headlights, other than maybe a very very faint sign of the train being there.

Trains in the peak are often bunched together, especially so when a train is 2 minutes late. It's the main reason a 2 minute delay can have a much bigger impact. That 2 minute delay means the train that would have operated is now 1 minute late (at least) and will have to keep stopping and starting again whilst the originally delayed train gets later and later. This in turn causes trains behind to also start getting clogged up. The best way to see something like this is if you wait at Heworth in the evening, if a Pelaw terminator is only 1 minute late, it means trains can be held at Heworth whilst a train is also held between Heworth and Pelaw, and the terminating train is in Pelaw. On a really bad day trains can back up to Felling, and on one occasion I've seen them backed up to Gateshead.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Currently an 8 kph Emergency Speed Restriction on the Out line just after Heworth due to a cracked rail apparently.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Currently an 8 kph Emergency Speed Restriction on the Out line just after Heworth due to a cracked rail apparently.

Wonder how long it will take them to fix then? Theres been a TSR of 32Kph between Kingston Park and Fawdon for the past month at least.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Owch 8kmh, they'll need to see to that immediately - I'm assuming that will mean reduced peak services along that way?

Yeah what is the issue at Fawdon, they are taking their time to fix it and that is probably one of the stretches where the speed limit is actually reached due to the station proximity - not good.

Oh no oh no - There are delays of up to 25 mins to trains running between Gateshead and South Hylton due to a failed train. not something that you want, especially at peak times.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Went through Heworth today both ways and nothing unusual to report although there is a speed restriction on the Northern Rail line heading to Newcastle.

Ironically I was on that Coast train that Krypton reported, The announcements at Gateshead(on both platforms) do seem to occur before the train passes the protecting signals to Gateshead hence you hear the next train arriving if there is a delay and the boards in the past used to change to reflect that so you could have a confusing situation where there is a Coast train on the platform but the boards showing its heading to the Airport but thankfully that does not happen anymore and the boards won't change until the train has left the platform.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
The 8 kmh restriction was fixed that night, so has been removed. The speed restriction on the Network Rail side has been in for a while now, due to the Seaham - Oxwellmains tanks derailing last year.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The 8 kmh restriction was fixed that night, so has been removed. The speed restriction on the Network Rail side has been in for a while now, due to the Seaham - Oxwellmains tanks derailing last year.

That incident happened a while back yet the speed restriction was only put in more recently. Plus am I right in saying the track was only replaced a few years back? its hardly old?

Any updates on the refurbishments? Noted 4005 paired with 4016
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
That incident happened a while back yet the speed restriction was only put in more recently. Plus am I right in saying the track was only replaced a few years back? its hardly old?

Any updates on the refurbishments? Noted 4005 paired with 4016

The track was replaced in 2012 IIRC, but that doesn't mean it won't become defective. We'll have to wait for the RAIB report to get a better understanding of what happened.

The TSR was immediately put in place when the line re-opened to traffic, and from what I know hasn't changed since (and likely won't change until a full new section of track is being laid.

As for the refurbishment, 4045 is trundling around with 4083 on short services right now. Something about it told me it was being prepared to go to Doncaster.

Does anyone know what's up with 4001, it's been sat outside the depot for the past week, and I noticed yesterday all the seating has been removed. Is it just in for it's usual exam or?
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
That incident happened a while back yet the speed restriction was only put in more recently. Plus am I right in saying the track was only replaced a few years back? its hardly old?

Any updates on the refurbishments? Noted 4005 paired with 4016

4048 went to Doncaster yesterday, and I think 4012 may have also gone a week or two ago.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The track was replaced in 2012 IIRC, but that doesn't mean it won't become defective. We'll have to wait for the RAIB report to get a better understanding of what happened.

The TSR was immediately put in place when the line re-opened to traffic, and from what I know hasn't changed since (and likely won't change until a full new section of track is being laid.

As for the refurbishment, 4045 is trundling around with 4083 on short services right now. Something about it told me it was being prepared to go to Doncaster.

Does anyone know what's up with 4001, it's been sat outside the depot for the past week, and I noticed yesterday all the seating has been removed. Is it just in for it's usual exam or?

Goodness knows when that will be if indeed the track needs replacing, hardly causing too much disruption mind, just slight lateness to trains into Newcastle.

Interesting point you made about 4001 because when I went past 2 days ago(ironically on 4048) it was paired with 4040 outside the depot and I thought it looked like all the seat covers were removed or out of place, hopefully its not withdrawn from service as it would be nice if it can be paired with 4002 for one last time.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I was gonna ask that about 4001, I doubt she is being removed from service just yet. I mean how can we reduce the fleet before we are back to the 89 (or 90) compliment, Nexus also said they were keeping her for peak services so lets hope they stick to that and keep her in service. I mean, not as if shes ever got any technical issues!

Also are DB replacing the wheels on the trains with new ones? 4040 was looking fresh with her shining wheels and yellow tag thing on them.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I was gonna ask that about 4001, I doubt she is being removed from service just yet. I mean how can we reduce the fleet before we are back to the 89 (or 90) compliment, Nexus also said they were keeping her for peak services so lets hope they stick to that and keep her in service. I mean, not as if shes ever got any technical issues!

Also are DB replacing the wheels on the trains with new ones? 4040 was looking fresh with her shining wheels and yellow tag thing on them.

Nexus/DB are keeping them for christmas extra services - supposedly.

When I went past today she looked to be paired with 4048 (?). Also, 4001 has loads of issues, it's so often out of service getting fixed or undergoing an exam that you don't really realise.

Old wheel set will have likely been damaged in some way so (as with Nexus' new policy) a new set had to be ordered.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Hmm i've always thought of 4001 as a reliable unit (Even though I don't like her or 02). Maybe not haha. 4030 is making a hell of a racket, not only through the loose screws but also something underneath isn't sounding too healthy.

Nexus' new policy is a bit confusing, considering many parts are probably obsolete nowadays.

Punctuality has been modest considering we had some major issues this month, 78%. But if the past is anything to go from, DB should be expecting an expensive letter to come through.
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
Also are DB replacing the wheels on the trains with new ones? 4040 was looking fresh with her shining wheels and yellow tag thing on them.

It'll be just the tyres that have been replaced, they're usually replaced every 6 years or so, 4040's tyres have been worn down for some time and the ride quality has been really rough.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Punctuality has been modest considering we had some major issues this month, 78%. But if the past is anything to go from, DB should be expecting an expensive letter to come through.

And so should Nexus ;) Most of the problems are actually Nexus' fault. Nexus rail are responsible for the track, signalling (trackside, not control centre), low rail adhesion etc.

Metro merely have to attempt(!) to run the service. As long as the trains work fine, and the signallers, drivers and other staff turn up Metro have nothing else to worry about. But then, having enough drivers - or even enough trains for all the drivers - is another matter.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
It'll be just the tyres that have been replaced, they're usually replaced every 6 years or so, 4040's tyres have been worn down for some time and the ride quality has been really rough.

I thought the tyres/wheels get replaced much more often than that with the Autumn months really putting the wear and tear in them. Speaking of poor ride quality, 4089 is awful at the moment, you can even hear it on the exterior how unsmooth it sounds.

Unaware that 4001 has had reliability issues(although it seems you could say that for a lot of the fleet it would seem) but hopefully the mystery why all the seat covers were removed will be revealed soon enough.

I'm still interested exactly what Nexus's version of a "reserve" role will be, there is not that many xmas extras and they interwork with the peak services also. Speaking of Xmas services, the Xmas gone was interesting as TRB 106 runs the green line all day but instead of terminating at Regent Centre in the evening, it would then head to Pelaw and then do a run towards St James', I would assume it would run to Longbenton after that then into the depot.
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
Speaking of poor ride quality, 4089 is awful at the moment, you can even hear it on the exterior how unsmooth it sounds.

Speaking of which, 4089 is the unit that failed at Felling this morning. According to the Metro Facebook page it has a seized gearbox
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
4089 now arrived back at depot almost 7 hours after breaking down, it had to be jacked up on site, and run back with a wheel skate.
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Today has been a bit disappointing on the Metro, should it really have taken that long to clear that issue. Nevermind, at least a RBS was offered and there was an official apology. Has anyone got any further news on 4001?
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Today has been a bit disappointing on the Metro, should it really have taken that long to clear that issue. Nevermind, at least a RBS was offered and there was an official apology. Has anyone got any further news on 4001?

At least there was a bus replacement in operation albeit the ques I seen personally and from the photos on the EC website did look a bit beyond the joke, I'd like to think a bus replacement was in operation because of 1) its the right thing to do in unplanned closures of lines and 2) It looked like the line would be suspended for a good period of time but I would not be surprised if Nexus put them on because they seen the volume of people at that time of morning.

A bit of a daft question, why couldnt the other metrocar that was paired with 4089 not be able to move the failed set, surely the fault such as this would be isolated just to 4089?

Whilst it will no doubt be out of service for a bit, I'd like to hope when it comes back into service, it will have new wheels so the ride can be a lot more smoother.
 

14xxDave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2011
Messages
202
Location
Gateshead
A bit of a daft question, why couldnt the other metrocar that was paired with 4089 not be able to move the failed set, surely the fault such as this would be isolated just to 4089?

A seized gearbox means the wheels don't turn...would you push your car when the tyres didn't turn?

D.
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
A bit of a daft question, why couldnt the other metrocar that was paired with 4089 not be able to move the failed set, surely the fault such as this would be isolated just to 4089?

Whilst it will no doubt be out of service for a bit, I'd like to hope when it comes back into service, it will have new wheels so the ride can be a lot more smoother.

4089's partner 4081 did eventually tow it back to Gosforth Depot, and it had in fact remained switched on and was uncoupled and shunted backwards to allow engineers to attend to 4089 (the problem was at the B end, which was coupled to 4081.)

The car was completely immobilised (Metro have mentioned both seized gearbox and seized traction motors, not sure which was the problem) hence the need to jack it up and lower it onto a trolley/skate for movement. I've seen it shunting this after at the depot this afternoon still on the skate.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
The gearbox is part of the traction motor unit, so both terms are correct. Unfortunately it is one of those problems which cannot be sorted quickly.

4001 and 4002 have been out of service awaiting spare parts for the doors.

Tyres on the wheelsets are made of a weaker metal compared to the rest of the wheelset and the track, which means you get wheel flats. The tyres can be turned on a lathe to get rid of the flats and reprofile the wheel, but eventually the tyres become too small to turn and have to be replaced.

Flats are normally worse during wheelslip but if you have trains which have what is called a 'snatching' brake then they can occur all year round. 4027 is one of the worst cars for snatching brakes.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
1233 at Bank Foot took out of service, I'm fed up! Gonna actually claim my money back this time as it's becomg too frequency :/ oh 5057 has an A link issue too, bloody Metro
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top