• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

inais20

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2014
Messages
88
Don't forget the other problem with peak frequency on the Shields branch is stock availability and capacity through Newcastle city centre. Saying that, I agree it's an ideal time to think about the long-awaited dualling (and maybe even building the additional station between Pelaw and Hebburn they've been making noises about recently).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Hence why I said Benton to Hebburn instead of Monkseaton :p Although it is now impossible due to lack of sidings.
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Hence why I said Benton to Hebburn instead of Monkseaton :p Although it is now impossible due to lack of sidings.

You can still terminate trains at Benton without the sidings, but it has to be done in between trains coming from St James and Monkseaton on platform 1.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
You can still terminate trains at Benton without the sidings, but it has to be done in between trains coming from St James and Monkseaton on platform 1.

It would be totally unfeasible to do that as people wouldn't know to go to P1 and it would be too tight for times, shame - never know why they lifted them to be honest.

Guys I just want to say I love this thread and all the discussion we have about the network, its great to be with people passionate about the system.
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Passengers going back towards Newcastle would be waiting on platform 1 anyway, so all it would need is for the driver to change ends. There are 3/4 trains on a night-time from South Shields and Pelaw which run to Benton to terminate.

The problem is that the vast majority of people who use the Monkseaton trains are travelling further than Benton, which in turn means that the Coast train behind will be rammed.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Passengers going back towards Newcastle would be waiting on platform 1 anyway, so all it would need is for the driver to change ends. There are 3/4 trains on a night-time from South Shields and Pelaw which run to Benton to terminate.

The problem is that the vast majority of people who use the Monkseaton trains are travelling further than Benton, which in turn means that the Coast train behind will be rammed.


Don't the points at Benton go like this at Benton, So trains would have to run along P2 https://db.tt/hf4lu59J if so this would not be suited to a work running in passenger service. Terminating trains at Benton is fine as there is no passengers leaving on the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh no, Just looked on GMaps and noticed it is into P1 - does that mean terminating trains go onto P1?
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Don't the points at Benton go like this at Benton, So trains would have to run along P2 https://db.tt/hf4lu59J if so this would not be suited to a work running in passenger service. Terminating trains at Benton is fine as there is no passengers leaving on the train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh no, Just looked on GMaps and noticed it is into P1 - does that mean terminating trains go onto P1?

Yep terminating trains head into P1 and driver change ends and head back to the depot.

I don't see why trains can't terminate at Benton if needs must, maybe have 1 less Regent Centre train and have it heading into Benton instead?
 

Tbrown1980

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2014
Messages
17
ive moved list into a new thread that one is more recent, up Tuesday 23rd December when 4067 departed,

but just to clarify

4005,4007,4016,4024,4032,4038,4067,4084 have all been refurbished

leaving 4003,4012,4025,4026,4027,4040,4045,4048,4077,4080,4083,4085

hope this helps

regards

tez

Thanks Tez for your help

So, as of Saturday 17th January 2015, here is the latest fleet refurbishment list:

At the rate these are getting refurbished, it looks like all, excluding those 4, should be complete by about June/July, if not sooner.

If any has any more information in the future of more Metro's coming from and going to Doncaster please let me know. Cheers

4001 Prototype (No Refurb)
4002 Prototype (No Refurb)
4003 Red
4004 Refurbished
4005 Refurbished
4006 Refurbished
4007 Refurbished
4008 Refurbished
4009 Refurbished
4010 Refurbished
4011 Refurbished

4012 Red
4013 Refurbished
4014 Refurbished
4015 Refurbished
4016 Refurbished
4017 Refurbished
4018 Refurbished
4019 Refurbished
4020 Refurbished
4021 Refurbished
4022 Refurbished
4023 Refurbished
4024 Refurbished

4025 Red
4026 Red
4027 Advertisement
4028 Refurbished
4029 Refurbished
4030 Refurbished
4031 Refurbished
4032 Refurbished
4033 Refurbished
4034 Refurbished
4035 Refurbished
4036 Refurbished
4037 Refurbished
4038 Refurbished
4039 Refurbished

4040 Advertisement
4041 Refurbished
4042 Refurbished
4043 Refurbished
4044 Refurbished

4045 Advertisement
4046 Refurbished
4047 Refurbished

4048 Red
4049 Refurbished
4050 Refurbished
4051 Refurbished
4052 Refurbished
4053 Refurbished
4054 Refurbished
4055 Refurbished
4056 Refurbished
4057 Refurbished
4058 Refurbished
4059 Refurbished
4060 Refurbished
4061 Refurbished
4062 Refurbished
4063 Refurbished
4064 Refurbished
4065 Refurbished
4066 Refurbished
4067 Refurbished
4068 Refurbished
4069 Refurbished
4070 Refurbished
4071 Refurbished
4072 Refurbished
4073 Refurbished
4074 Refurbished
4075 Refurbished
4076 Refurbished

4077 Red
4078 Refurbished
4079 Refurbished

4080 Advertisement
4081 Refurbished
4082 Refurbished

4083 Advertisement
4084 Refurbished
4085
4086 Refurbished
4087 Refurbished
4088 Refurbished
4089 Refurbished
4090 Refurbished


Metrocars Refurbished: 76
Number left to refurbish: 10 (4 won't be refurbished)
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Which unit has came back?

4005 I believe.

With 03 going down, that rules out the 'rumour' that 03 may not of been refurbished as it was the first production unit!

I got a feeling it will be the 2 Emirates units that won't be refurbished along with the prototypes... Would it be easy to take that vinyl off the windows without leaving any horrific marks or would the windows have to be replaced? If its the latter then it will save money in that respect.

It will be interesting too see if Nexus decides too keep any ad units from refurbishment or the old red/yellow fleet livery ones!
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
4005 I believe.

With 03 going down, that rules out the 'rumour' that 03 may not of been refurbished as it was the first production unit!

I got a feeling it will be the 2 Emirates units that won't be refurbished along with the prototypes... Would it be easy to take that vinyl off the windows without leaving any horrific marks or would the windows have to be replaced? If its the latter then it will save money in that respect.

It will be interesting too see if Nexus decides too keep any ad units from refurbishment or the old red/yellow fleet livery ones!

The livery easily just comes off. The 'Talk to Frank' advert was the same and that came right off, I believe there have been a few other ads the same.

I have a suspicion 4045 may not be going down, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see or until someone puts in a FOI request :p
 

tez thorn

On Moderation
Joined
8 May 2014
Messages
232
Location
Burradon
i think it may be 4027 not going, 4085 is red,its missng from the list last time i saw, 4085 was paired with

4001 and 4002 was with 4048
 
Last edited:

Tbrown1980

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2014
Messages
17
With 4003 now off to Doncaster for refurbishment, it now leaves just 9 Metrocars left to be refurbished.

Once refurbishment works are complete, will free WiFi be installed across all of the Metros?

It's been long overdue, considering several buses already have this installed, so I can't imagine it would take long to be completed

NexusComms, if your reading this, please could you let us know when WiFi will be installed on the Metro's please? Thanks :)
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Only the blue or orange for the refurbishment get my vote! Out of the two, I immediately preferred the orange, although the blue was a close second. Putting up something like pink will just look wrong to my eyes!

I'll be up on the Tyne and Wear Metro in 17 days time, rather looking forward to filling my book somewhat as I only have 31 out of 90 Metro units underlined (and still need 31 out of 90 for sight), hoping to change those numbers quite significantly when I'm in the area!

EDIT: Why are 4 of the Metros not being refurbished? Sorry if it's been covered and I've missed that!
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the prototypes aren't being refurbished due to the amount of work needed to bring them up to the new spec, the other 2 are simply because Nexus didn't have enough money for the project due to higher than expected costs per MetroCar due to corrosion. (I think thats it anyway)

The Chronicle have some nice mock ups that Nexus haven't released here. the blues and the purple look great!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/metro-says-goodbye-distinctive-yellow-8468948
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the prototypes aren't being refurbished due to the amount of work needed to bring them up to the new spec, the other 2 are simply because Nexus didn't have enough money for the project due to higher than expected costs per MetroCar due to corrosion. (I think thats it anyway)

Ah fair enough, thanks for the clarification :)
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Please correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the prototypes aren't being refurbished due to the amount of work needed to bring them up to the new spec, the other 2 are simply because Nexus didn't have enough money for the project due to higher than expected costs per MetroCar due to corrosion. (I think thats it anyway)

The Chronicle have some nice mock ups that Nexus haven't released here. the blues and the purple look great!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/metro-says-goodbye-distinctive-yellow-8468948

Well the prototypes are apparently not being refurbished because of heritage value but that is rubbish as they have already been refurbished. Its just basically down to cost like you say.

Now that link has answered a question I wondered about because I saw some metro workers with what look like blue things in boxes showing to passengers but I was walking to the mainline station so I had no idea what it was about but now I do.

Must admit the colour schemes are interesting, I personally like the light blue but be interesting too see which one will be decided at the end.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Had the male announcements of 4016 today and I had a thought about the announcement for Haymarket. Maybe it should say 'This station is for Newcastle University campuses' instead of Newcastle shopping? Then Newcastle Shopping should be Monument, with Central Station being the station for mainline rail. It would give each station a kind of specific role/point of interest, as well as giving the Universities some recognition (every other Metro/Underground style system I've been on has told passengers to alight for main University campuses).
 

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
Overall I don't have much of an issue with the male announcer.

I'll agree he doesn't seem to flow as well as the female speaker, but the additional information is, for the most part, good and a welcome addition.

My main gripe with him is the way the script says "Next station is...".

It's either "The next station is..." or if you want to shorten it, simply "Next station..."

The way "Central" is used instead of "Central Station" is also wrong in my opinion. The PA script should use the station's name as printed on the map and signed at the station.

Otherwise, why don't we just use only the first word from every station name? Besides, I'm sure I've heard people in Sunderland refer to "Sunderland" as "Central" or "Sunderland Central" - which would also make sense now the city has more stations.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen the Metro and mainline station refurbishment work tied in to create a unified "Newcastle Central" concept - where the Metro platforms are re-numbered to integrate with those of the mainline station, which could then feature unified arrival and departure boards. (After all - you can take a train from Sunderland to reach either "Newcastle" or "Central Station", ending up mere yards from where the other train stops.

Sadly it seems that in this country various organisations don't actually coordinate - so we're still left with two stations effectively sitting atop one another.

Jon
 

tez thorn

On Moderation
Joined
8 May 2014
Messages
232
Location
Burradon
its a good idea dont get me wrong, but in my opinion Monument is a difficult one,

cus for tourists and people who dont use the Metro frequently,they will still need the change of platform a

annoucements for St James and Wallsend, and the likelyhood of Nexus wanting a longer annoucement

for Monument are nil, might sound stupid but thats my take on it, on another note for Central, the blue

gets my vote
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
The 'new' Monument announcement is very poor, no platform info - Not gonna start ranting about that packs faults there is simply too many. Keep the woman, change her a little and shes perfect for any public transport system. Interestingly enough they have gone from calling Central station 'Central' on the Nexus website back to 'Central Station'
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Overall I don't have much of an issue with the male announcer.

I'll agree he doesn't seem to flow as well as the female speaker, but the additional information is, for the most part, good and a welcome addition.

My main gripe with him is the way the script says "Next station is...".

It's either "The next station is..." or if you want to shorten it, simply "Next station..."

The way "Central" is used instead of "Central Station" is also wrong in my opinion. The PA script should use the station's name as printed on the map and signed at the station.

Otherwise, why don't we just use only the first word from every station name? Besides, I'm sure I've heard people in Sunderland refer to "Sunderland" as "Central" or "Sunderland Central" - which would also make sense now the city has more stations.

Personally I'd have liked to have seen the Metro and mainline station refurbishment work tied in to create a unified "Newcastle Central" concept - where the Metro platforms are re-numbered to integrate with those of the mainline station, which could then feature unified arrival and departure boards. (After all - you can take a train from Sunderland to reach either "Newcastle" or "Central Station", ending up mere yards from where the other train stops.

Sadly it seems that in this country various organisations don't actually coordinate - so we're still left with two stations effectively sitting atop one another.

Jon

They (Nexus/Metro) do appear to have put a lot of effort into the new male announcer. And whilst I did hate him at first, with the changes made so far he is definitely better. I still prefer the female announcer, but with a few more tweaks (such as the ones in my previous post on the matter) I reckon he will be better than the women.

You're point about Central Station being shortened is a valid point too, as quite a lot of people refer to Park Lane as Sunderland, and the actual Sunderland station as Sunderland train station.

With the frequency of Metro I don't think it would be worth putting onto the national rail departure boards. Maybe Metro boards (in the national rail foyer only) could have both Metro and Train on though? But only Northern services to Heworth and Sunderland.

I must also agree about the shortening of the announcement from 'The next station is' to just 'Next station is'. I had the exact same thought as you because that's something else that just seems to me to be a silly grammatical error whereby the person who wrote the script forgot to put the word 'the' at the start. Although I think it would sound odd, having it just say 'Next station, Hebburn.' (or whichever station), I think it would be fine for those stations with longer announcements where more information is present though (such as my Monument example in response to Tez).

its a good idea dont get me wrong, but in my opinion Monument is a difficult one,

cus for tourists and people who dont use the Metro frequently,they will still need the change of platform a

annoucements for St James and Wallsend, and the likelyhood of Nexus wanting a longer annoucement

for Monument are nil, might sound stupid but thats my take on it, on another note for Central, the blue

gets my vote

Monument, on the current female announcements, already says 'The next station is Monument. This station is for Newcastle City Centre, Change here for trains towards The Coast via Wallsend from Platform 3 and St James from Platform 4.' So all the male announcement has to do is change 'This station is for Newcastle City Centre.' to 'Alight here for Newcastle shopping.' You can still have the additional platform information. Maybe he should say 'Next station, Monument. Alight for Newcastle shopping. Change for trains towards The Coast via Wallsend from Platform 3 and trains to St James from Platform 4.'

The 'new' Monument announcement is very poor, no platform info - Not gonna start ranting about that packs faults there is simply too many. Keep the woman, change her a little and shes perfect for any public transport system. Interestingly enough they have gone from calling Central station 'Central' on the Nexus website back to 'Central Station'

Something tells me you really really really really don't like him (moreso than me!) :lol:
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Something tells me you really really really really don't like him (moreso than me!)

Summed me up in a nutshell ;) Never gonna get used to him, tone is not clear enough and all that jazz. Although I do like the West Jesmond announcement when it includes 'Please mind the gap when alighting at this station' thats all the praise he is getting from me ;)

MetroCars coming back aren't all coming with him are they? 4038 is fresher than 16 and she doesn't have it (phew)
 

Lm2606

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
43
Moving the topic on slightly,
What are your views on Nexus' no filming/photography rules?
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Summed me up in a nutshell ;) Never gonna get used to him, tone is not clear enough and all that jazz. Although I do like the West Jesmond announcement when it includes 'Please mind the gap when alighting at this station' thats all the praise he is getting from me ;)

MetroCars coming back aren't all coming with him are they? 4038 is fresher than 16 and she doesn't have it (phew)

Haha! And now, it just seems to be a hit and miss at the minute. I haven't been on 38 yet with it being the leading car so will have to see. 38 did have the male announcements before going Doncaster (although they were permanently off)

Moving the topic on slightly,
What are your views on Nexus' no filming/photography rules?

Absolutely ridiculous. Nothing more to be said on the matter. :p
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I was on 38 leading from A the other day and she doesn't :D Nexus may have got the hint ;)

What are your views on Nexus' no filming/photography rules?

I agree with MR, its daft. Now a no flash rule would be much more appropriate. I mean why shouldn't we be aloud to take photos of a public service?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top