• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

tez thorn

On Moderation
Joined
8 May 2014
Messages
232
Location
Burradon
there are 12 left but realistically 10 cus of course there are 2 more not to be refurbished, i had the

unfortunate misery of riding 4044 with the shovel man on it, quite frankly i cant stand him with his

in consistant announcements, also we pulled up along side 4019 at Cullercoats and it might sound picky,

but for a refurb that was only done in march,some of its doors are in a poor state, the paint is bubbling

and chipping in places, i also seen first hand why the fleet was knackered in the first place, i personally

blame disrespectful little how how yobs who jump about and treat it like a climbing wall and probably like

there homes,this is what i witnessed on Sunday night from (surprise surprise) Meadow Well(no offence)

to Wallsend
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I hope Nexus get their act together and send shovel man packing for a second and final time. Nexus comms I know you will read this and I hope, just this once you listen to the passenger voice, for pete's sake give the passengers what they want, its not just us lot here, its the wider Metro community who hate (not dislike) that unsavoury character.

Regarding the chavs on the trains, Being a kid myself I honestly would say 7/10 of the time it isn't kids, I'm sorry but the adults who get on at Fawdon and Regent Centre are unsavoury to say the least but I do agree kids do more of the physical damage. Only solution is fines, Officers on the roll to be called by drivers to hand out fines.

I've saw kids throw stones at refurbished MetroCars (Wansbeck Road) and its just a disgrace. I also count holding the doors open as vandalism as it wears down the motors and we all know that a fair few people do that ;)

It was nice to be on 4003 today, Just to hear the good old bullhorn and her heating was on full blast! Shame not all of the heating systems are on yet.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
I hope Nexus get their act together and send shovel man packing for a second and final time. Nexus comms I know you will read this and I hope, just this once you listen to the passenger voice, for pete's sake give the passengers what they want, its not just us lot here, its the wider Metro community who hate (not dislike) that prick. (excuse the foul language)

A lot of passengers disliked the PA announcements when the female voice was introduced and how people would like a more "Human" voice and correct mispronunciation of station names like South Gosforth and Four Lane Ends. Got to say, when I first heard them, I did like them but now I'm less keen, I think as reported on here, its how it seems to be patched together but that is exactly the same as the female voice and that was another criticism.

The problem we have is people dont like change, the female announcements are not perfect but neither this male voice however got to say, if someone decides to leave the train and wait for another simply because a male PA announcer is getting on your nerves, then I do find that quite an over the top reaction
 

tez thorn

On Moderation
Joined
8 May 2014
Messages
232
Location
Burradon
solved that problem by putting in my music,to leave the train is just obsurd, it seems that in a way they

are reverting back to when it was stand clear of the doors please, that was a male announcer,nice treat to

ride an unrefurb,it was also 4045
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I hope Nexus get their act together and send shovel man packing for a second and final time. Nexus comms I know you will read this and I hope, just this once you listen to the passenger voice, for pete's sake give the passengers what they want, its not just us lot here, its the wider Metro community who hate (not dislike) that prick. (excuse the foul language)

I've saw kids throw stones at refurbished MetroCars (Wansbeck Road) and its just a disgrace. I also count holding the doors open as vandalism as it wears down the motors and we all know that a fair few people do that ;)

It was nice to be on 4003 today, Just to hear the good old bullhorn and her heating was on full blast! Shame not all of the heating systems are on yet.

You may want to change the word pr**k to something else, the mods here won't be happy if they see it :p

Holding doors is pointless. Yesterday the warning beeps sounded and I decided not to board (the doors hadn't even started closing) because the tone was sounding. I stood close to the door to let him know I would like to have boarded, and immediately the driver re-released the doors and let me board and there was another train 3 minutes behind (not to my destination though), I put my hand up to say thank you and he gave a small toot on the horn in response. And I've found that tends to be what happens when you just miss the train (minus the toot). You could delay the train more by holding the doors and it's simply not worth it.

I've noticed the refurbs don't really seem to have their heating on, whereas the unrefurbs seem to have it on full blast, think 4003 has it perfect tbh. It's nice and toasty but not so hot that you'll have to start removing layers.

A lot of passengers disliked the PA announcements when the female voice was introduced and how people would like a more "Human" voice and correct mispronunciation of station names like South Gosforth and Four Lane Ends. Got to say, when I first heard them, I did like them but now I'm less keen, I think as reported on here, its how it seems to be patched together but that is exactly the same as the female voice and that was another criticism.

The problem we have is people dont like change, the female announcements are not perfect but neither this male voice however got to say, if someone decides to leave the train and wait for another simply because a male PA announcer is getting on your nerves, then I do find that quite an over the top reaction

I think the main causes for concern with the women was because we were going from no announcements/announcements done manually to automatic ones. For the most part people didn't mind them, just with the exception of stations being pronounced too correctly/incorrectly for the local dialect.

I don't think he would be bad, if it was done properly, but because it's just all a huge mash up and he was very little flow because of it is what really let's it down. And the fact that he still says station names wrong is really irritating. Central Station is not called 'Central'. Plain and simple. All signage says 'Central Station' and the station is called 'Central Station', you don't change that. Automatic Announcements are for the most part there for the benefit of tourists, people who have a disability, and those who just want reassurance that they're on the right train, in the right direction.

I just don't see the need for the current female to be removed/changed other than to waste money, she does a sterling job and they've pretty much finally got them fully up and running with little faults than they used to.

I should point out, that I haven't left a train because he was announcing but I did have to change to a South Shields train and did change a few stops earlier (Monument, instead of Heworth) mainly because Heworth was colder, but he also played a role since changing at Heworth would have meant if the Metro was delayed (like normal :p) then I could have jumped on the bus.


Also, 4027 appears to have done a runner. Haven't seen it in the depot, or on the system and there's been no mention of it going to Donny.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
I don't think he would be bad, if it was done properly, but because it's just all a huge mash up and he was very little flow because of it is what really let's it down. And the fact that he still says station names wrong is really irritating. Central Station is not called 'Central'. Plain and simple. All signage says 'Central Station' and the station is called 'Central Station', you don't change that. Automatic Announcements are for the most part there for the benefit of tourists, people who have a disability, and those who just want reassurance that they're on the right train, in the right direction.
.

Must admit, the "central" announcements is wrong although I believe from what Huw said they want to change it to "central" so when the station finally gets refurbished, I would not be surprised if the station signage also just names it as Central. I think calling it "Newcastle Central" might be a better idea though if they did want to rename the station.

Just to note, 4007 has been back in service this week on the peek working with 4066 and that unit has the female announcements so that seems to rule out the PA's are going to be changed down in Doncaster. Also to note 4007/66 was paired on TRB 109 a few days ago but were withdrawn from service as I caught 4066 paired with 4011 on the afternoon peaks on the same day.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Must admit, the "central" announcements is wrong although I believe from what Huw said they want to change it to "central" so when the station finally gets refurbished, I would not be surprised if the station signage also just names it as Central. I think calling it "Newcastle Central" might be a better idea though if they did want to rename the station.

Just to note, 4007 has been back in service this week on the peek working with 4066 and that unit has the female announcements so that seems to rule out the PA's are going to be changed down in Doncaster. Also to note 4007/66 was paired on TRB 109 a few days ago but were withdrawn from service as I caught 4066 paired with 4011 on the afternoon peaks on the same day.

I think it should remain as Central Station. The mainline station is called 'Newcastle' but is signposted around Newcastle as Central Station, because that is what it is called. Changing it to just say Central is a fairly ludicrous idea tbh.

Yeah, I was on 4007 up to Kingston Park the other day, absolutely freezing but could tell it was a newer refurb as the lighting was still bright, and the seats were still plump instead of completely flat. But as you say it did have the old announcements and the scrolling text was also the old style, so fingers crossed Nexus are listening (if they are, it's a nice change!).
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
I think it should remain as Central Station. The mainline station is called 'Newcastle' but is signposted around Newcastle as Central Station, because that is what it is called. Changing it to just say Central is a fairly ludicrous idea tbh.

Yeah, I was on 4007 up to Kingston Park the other day, absolutely freezing but could tell it was a newer refurb as the lighting was still bright, and the seats were still plump instead of completely flat. But as you say it did have the old announcements and the scrolling text was also the old style, so fingers crossed Nexus are listening (if they are, it's a nice change!).

I do think renaming it Central on the announcements is pointless, not entirely sure what the aim is, I do remember Huw giving a reason on the Nexus forums once.

I would not be too sure on that 2nd point, at the time 4007 was running from the 'B' end so lets see if the PA's are the same on the 'A' end but even if it still has the female announcements then I still would not rule out the male voice being rolled out especially if it is the case some adjustments have been made.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I do think renaming it Central on the announcements is pointless, not entirely sure what the aim is, I do remember Huw giving a reason on the Nexus forums once.

I would not be too sure on that 2nd point, at the time 4007 was running from the 'B' end so lets see if the PA's are the same on the 'A' end but even if it still has the female announcements then I still would not rule out the male voice being rolled out especially if it is the case some adjustments have been made.

She was running A end first when I was on board :p

If some adjustments are made, and it flows nicely then I don't mind. Stations need to be announced correctly, and the tone/pitch needs to be relatively constant with no major changes in fluctation.

I also think having a more 'human' sounding voice is very much a poor show for people with disabilities as a more robotic voice is easily distinguishable whereas a more human voice, not so much.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
She was running A end first when I was on board :p

If some adjustments are made, and it flows nicely then I don't mind. Stations need to be announced correctly, and the tone/pitch needs to be relatively constant with no major changes in fluctation.

I also think having a more 'human' sounding voice is very much a poor show for people with disabilities as a more robotic voice is easily distinguishable whereas a more human voice, not so much.

I really stand by keeping the Lady, no matter what changes they make. She is clear, pronounces 99% of things right (To me South Gosforth is fine) Maybe University and Four Lanes End needs a bit of a review but apart from that she is fine. The male for me can never reach the standards of the lady we currently have.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
'Major delays to trains from Northumberland Park - South Shields due to vandalism.' any news on this, Disgraceful! Its always the Yellow Line...
 
Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
'Major delays to trains from Northumberland Park - South Shields due to vandalism.' any news on this, Disgraceful! Its always the Yellow Line...

From what I've heard a train was 'tagged' and subsequently removed from service. Thus resulting in major delays whilst another set was sourced from the depot.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Well lets hope they get a custodial sentence, scum bags - Probably won't even get caught.

This is what annoys me about people. They moan about the Metro but if they didn't have to pay for new windows, new paint jobs etc due to scum they might actually have some money for the train refurbishments or other important factors. No doubt these kids parents are the ones swearing their heads off at the gate staff because they don't have a ticket or the train is late 25 minutes. but lets not get into the social argument.

On a bit of a different note, How did the old gate system work in the 1980s?
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,152
Location
Cornwall
Straying slightly off-topic for a moment. Anyone with an interest in trams should go to:-

www.plymothiantransit.com

Go to the entry dated 27th December and play the video clip (no translation necessary) , great stuff and who says the germans do not have a sense of humour.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
On a bit of a different note, How did the old gate system work in the 1980s?

The old gates are essentially the same as they are now. You put your ticket in, then went through the turnstile if your ticket was valid.The only difference now is the fact that we have smart cards and the gates open automatically.
 

Lm2606

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
43
I do hold a full copy of all the female announcements on the system. Listening through I feel that they are leaning towards the computerised voice and not the comfort of a human being.

In other news it's good that Nexus are not planning to send 4001/2 for refurbishment.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Oh nice, is there a way to acquire a copy? I really like her to be honest, she's got a nice voice that's just right for on the Metro.

Hey I like 01/02! I bet refurbing them would be one hell of a task and would cost a fortune.
 

Lm2606

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
43
Oh nice, is there a way to acquire a copy? I really like her to be honest, she's got a nice voice that's just right for on the Metro.

Hey I like 01/02! I bet refurbing them would be one hell of a task and would cost a fortune.

Sorry I cannot distribute them, Nexus plan to convert 4001/2 into a 'heritage set'
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Oh nice, is there a way to acquire a copy? I really like her to be honest, she's got a nice voice that's just right for on the Metro.

Hey I like 01/02! I bet refurbing them would be one hell of a task and would cost a fortune.

Freedom of information is to get them. I also hold a copy of them and the London transport (bus, tube, overground etc.)
 

Lm2606

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2012
Messages
43
Freedom of information is to get them. I also hold a copy of them and the London transport (bus, tube, overground etc.)

What he said although Nexus/DB Regio are now saying they are a private company which means you cannot use FOI with them anymore :(
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
What he said although Nexus/DB Regio are now saying they are a private company which means you cannot use FOI with them anymore :(

Nexus are still public and must still give stuff out. If they refuse then you have the right to take it up with the Information Commissioner (I think its them anyway)
 

markindurham

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2011
Messages
390
I would hope that 4001 will, in the fullness of time, become preserved, if it's not already nominated?
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Heritage set? Personally I'd keep them working until we get our new rolling stock in 2023 or whenever it will eventually be. Not as if they aren't reliable, they are probably the best we've got!

Might drop Nexus an email. I feel as if I'm forever contacting Nexus!
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Hey I like 01/02! I bet refurbing them would be one hell of a task and would cost a fortune.

How come? Both sets have been refurbished before and they are more or less the same apart from a few minor differences.

I'm also interested in this "heritage set" plans that Nexus supposely have, I mean, what are Nexus's plans for the 4 sets not to be refurbished? They say they are for football and xmas specials but they are needed for those as there is still more than enough sets to play with to use for these?

I still think the 4 units that are not to be refurbished will get a basic refresh and be put into the fleet livery, what Nexus do to them after that is anyone's guess but I'm personally disapointed that they are not being refurbished.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Just making things like the doors more accessible, I find they need a good hard push before they disarm, not sure really. They are 5 years older though so more corrosion works would have been needed!

I too am disappointed Nexus didn't attempt to secure extra funding for the 4 MetroCars. It would have made life allot easier to have a higher proportion of the same standard rolling stock as the end nears closer for the first gen MetroCar, as after all, service based faults are going to rise in the next 10 years.

Anyone got any further news on the OHLE being stolen near Brockley Whins? I don't know how these people don't get fried.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
How come? Both sets have been refurbished before and they are more or less the same apart from a few minor differences.

I'm also interested in this "heritage set" plans that Nexus supposely have, I mean, what are Nexus's plans for the 4 sets not to be refurbished? They say they are for football and xmas specials but they are needed for those as there is still more than enough sets to play with to use for these?

I still think the 4 units that are not to be refurbished will get a basic refresh and be put into the fleet livery, what Nexus do to them after that is anyone's guess but I'm personally disapointed that they are not being refurbished.

Exactly, both sets were part of the 1st refurbishment so they can't exactly be claimed as a heritage set when all the other Metrocars are still running around in pretty much the same state (with the only difference being another refurbishment). Fair enough, if we were getting new trains and they were being kept to form a heritage set but otherwise it seems stupid to me when you still have the original cars still running around.

I imagine they will be simply left as is and just run as and when required.

Just making things like the doors more accessible, I find they need a good hard push before they disarm, not sure really. They are 5 years older though so more corrosion works would have been needed!

I too am disappointed Nexus didn't attempt to secure extra funding for the 4 MetroCars. It would have made life allot easier to have a higher proportion of the same standard rolling stock as the end nears closer for the first gen MetroCar, as after all, service based faults are going to rise in the next 10 years.

Anyone got any further news on the OHLE being stolen near Brockley Whins? I don't know how these people don't get fried.

I find the doors for the most part okay, but they are showing their age and can at times be a little slow to release.


Nobody steals OHLE :p What they take is the signalling cables (the stuff that runs alongside the track) and other cables from the cable runs that are used for things such as telling points to switch etc. But from what I've heard, none was actually taken and it was essentially a false flag.

What I'm most disappointed about is the fact that Northern and Metro were saying Metro tickets were valid between certain hours (up till 1530 I think it was) when in actual fact, Metro (and train) tickets that are valid between Heworth and Sunderland are also valid on the other mode, so train tickets are valid on Metro and vice-versa. The way Metro and Northern posted updates you wouldn't think they were valid at other times.
 

Kryten2340

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
338
Location
Gateshead
Exactly, both sets were part of the 1st refurbishment so they can't exactly be claimed as a heritage set when all the other Metrocars are still running around in pretty much the same state (with the only difference being another refurbishment). Fair enough, if we were getting new trains and they were being kept to form a heritage set but otherwise it seems stupid to me when you still have the original cars still running around.

I imagine they will be simply left as is and just run as and when required.



I find the doors for the most part okay, but they are showing their age and can at times be a little slow to release.


Nobody steals OHLE :p What they take is the signalling cables (the stuff that runs alongside the track) and other cables from the cable runs that are used for things such as telling points to switch etc. But from what I've heard, none was actually taken and it was essentially a false flag.

What I'm most disappointed about is the fact that Northern and Metro were saying Metro tickets were valid between certain hours (up till 1530 I think it was) when in actual fact, Metro (and train) tickets that are valid between Heworth and Sunderland are also valid on the other mode, so train tickets are valid on Metro and vice-versa. The way Metro and Northern posted updates you wouldn't think they were valid at other times.

See below as an example and reply from yours truly. Not expecting any reply though.

image.jpg
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I thought it wasn't OHLE (for obvious reasons) but how would Northern continue on if the signals were down :s But yes nice of Northern to try and hide a corporate clause, Not the first time they don't know their ticketing. I've got a free ticket sitting in my drawer because they wouldn't let me on a train at MetroCentre with my under 16 CAT as it was 'invalid'

I agree about the 'Heritage idea' If anything make them that when the Next Gen MetroCars come (If they ever do)
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
I thought it wasn't OHLE (for obvious reasons) but how would Northern continue on if the signals were down :s But yes nice of Northern to try and hide a corporate clause, Not the first time they don't know their ticketing. I've got a free ticket sitting in my drawer because they wouldn't let me on a train at MetroCentre with my under 16 CAT as it was 'invalid'

I agree about the 'Heritage idea' If anything make them that when the Next Gen MetroCars come (If they ever do)

The power was switched off so Metro couldn't run. Northern services would have been talked through the signals, same as any other time there is a signalling problem.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
4036 is back and really needs a depot visit, she's missing a light bulb, missing her A/B stickers and the brakes definitely sound like they need some work done. At least she's got the female announcer back!

One of the windows on 4081B end is broken too :/ 2 down in the right :/
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top