ModernRailways
Established Member
- Joined
- 21 Apr 2011
- Messages
- 2,184
On a different note, the quality of the new announcements is a league of its own, they should never have been put to the public in the current form, firstly I find the man very irritating and false and he really doesn't flow at all 'next station is Fawdon' for example, it then gets worse when it says 'next station is Fawdon, please take extra care when using the level crossing' which is then repeated 3 times for Fawdon alone, and by the time I reached my station towards Airport with all of those level crossings and that repeated 9 times! I felt like I couldn't bare to sit though that again - 4084 one to avoid at the moment
I haven't heard the level crossing and if that's the case what a ridiculous thing for it to say! Common sense would tell people to take care at the crossings and in my experience it's vehicle drivers who are dangerous, you get the odd passenger but not worthy of an announcement...
He really gets on my nerves, I much prefer a proper female auto voice announcer or a proper male announcer, he's right in the middle he sounds very feminine. He doesn't have a consistent tone/pitch and that is possibly most annoying. Metro have said they are going to be rolling him out across the system when the current female announcer doesn't receive any complaints other than the fact they need to be more local and pronounce stations properly. Another thing Nexus have done on the cheap by the looks of it, got one man to make recordings for all Metro announcements etc.
I've only heard the new announcements from Monument - Pelaw and I despise them! In actual fact, the other day they pulled up on a Pelaw short and I decided to wait because they are ridiculously annoying and he really grinds on me! And I thought the announcements on Go North East buses by the Metroradio team were annoying, I would prefer them and I will take the bus if they do get a full roll out over Metro!
Also, Central Station is not called Central, it is called Central Station and should NOT be changed unless all signage/maps are being changed. Most local people have also started calling it Central Station, I know it used to be just Central to locals though.
Rant over - as you can tell I really don't like them
Finally, I received an email from Metro about Jarrow closure. I asked them why Jarrow couldn't have one platform in use for all trains since the trains don't pass there. There response 'Trains cannot run on the other line.' Erm, yes they can it's bidirectional and it often happens during the day for whatever reason.
Could someone summon Huw Lewis here to clear this all up as I don't see the point in closing a station's platform unnecessarily especially when Bede isn't exactly the best station to be at after 2000!