• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne and Wear Metro recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Hi all,

I passed the assessments and am also in the holding pool, so I've been checking this forum for quite a while now for any possible updates. I wish they'd been able to tell us where we ranked in this pool so we might have an idea as to when/if we're likely to get the call up! Any more updates from people in the know would be appreciated!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ratty81

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2014
Messages
19
Hi all,

I passed the assessments and am also in the holding pool, so I've been checking this forum for quite a while now for any possible updates. I wish they'd been able to tell us where we ranked in this pool so we might have an idea as to when/if we're likely to get the call up! Any more updates from people in the know would be appreciated!

Still waiting in the pool myself slowtrain. Haven't heard anything at all since my last post.

Does anyone know roughly how much notice is given prior to start date? Holding off booking things just in case I get the call. Fingers crossed the october starters will be contacted soon.

Also i'm starting to get a little concerned that the Doncaster assessment will run out. I passed in december and understand it lasts 2 years. Just don't know how driver places there are in comparison to the number of people that passed Donny. If anyone can shed any light would be appreciated
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,184
Still waiting in the pool myself slowtrain. Haven't heard anything at all since my last post.

Does anyone know roughly how much notice is given prior to start date? Holding off booking things just in case I get the call. Fingers crossed the october starters will be contacted soon.

Also i'm starting to get a little concerned that the Doncaster assessment will run out. I passed in december and understand it lasts 2 years. Just don't know how driver places there are in comparison to the number of people that passed Donny. If anyone can shed any light would be appreciated

Give Metro a ring and just ask them if they have any news. If they don't, just ask to let them know you want to book some things up. They should/will be fine with it.
 
Last edited:
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Thanks for the replies Ratty81 and ModernRailways, good to see this thread still has some life (and hope for us in the talent pool!).

Ratty81, I'm also anxious about the two year limit for the holding pool. Reading around on this forum it sounds like there is a shortage of drivers, what with many coming up for retirement. But of course my worry is that so many people passed the Doncaster assessments that I'm too far down the list.

As for ModernRailways suggestion to contact HR, other posts I've read on here suggest this has been done (assuming these are not internal candidates asking informally?). If the June intake have been notified, October will be our next best shot. People in the first February intake posted to say they'd been notified before Xmas 2014, so maybe we should hope to hear something by September at the latest? If I haven't, I think I'll take ModernRailway's advice and politely ask HR if there's any indication they can give as to where I stand in the pool (I guess they can't really say in case people way down the list drop out, the ones taken on don't work out and DB need to re-recruit?).

Good luck to you Ratty81 - this job would mean so much for me I can imagine it would for you too.
 

Ratty81

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2014
Messages
19
thanks modern and slow for your replies.
I'll be gutted if I sit in the pool for two years and there isn't a position but I suppose Metro themselves don't know for sure how many drivers are going to retire and when.

Yeah, i'm going to wait a bit longer then contact HR although I have a feeling they will only be able to confirm what we already know.

I think I was one of the last people to attend Doncaster from this intake so am probably right near the bottom of the list.

Great to see this thread with a little more life to it, it went very quiet for a time! My hands are starting to hurt sitting with my fingers crossed 24/7 ;)

If I hear anything from Metro i'll post here
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Hey Ratty81,

I wouldn't worry about when you passed the assessments, I was also one of the last I think. As I understood it, your overall score determines when you start, so you should get called up if you scored higher than someone who passed at the start of recruitment.

Fingers crossed for us both - I'll post any updates and would be really grateful to hear from anyone else should they hear anything.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Update from what I know - there are currently 8 drivers doing in service training, another 8 started two weeks ago in the classroom and another 8 will be starting in September.
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Thanks for the update. So that's 24 trainee drivers recruited. I seem to recall an earlier post estimating up to 32 drivers...so only one more intake?

On a related note, do you know of any situations where people in a talent pool have never been called up? I know they said the assessment pass was good for two years and I'm clinging to hope I hear something, someday - assuming there aren't 100 of us sat in this talent pool and I'm number 99!

Thanks so much for keeping hope alive for people like me and Ratty!
 

Frankfurt

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2010
Messages
124
Hi,

I wouldn't worry about the 2 year expiry on your Donny assessments, Metro don't follow that and through using their own discretion extend the 2 years when needed. I've been told up to 4 years, whether or not true I know drivers who passed same assessments over 3 years prior to appointment.

It's because DB are so obsessed with penny pinching it is unreal :-x

Once the current 8 (latest June school) have passed out driver numbers will be over compliment, certainly if September course goes ahead - sorry to dash hopes. On the other hand though there's many counting down the days and weeks to retirement. There are loads who'd love to go given half a chance, one driver currently working his notice to pursue a different career so who knows. Doubt there's a definite answer.

On a separate note be prepared for industrial action soon. ASLEF confirmed, others unions still to ballot. Morale amongst the workforce low.
 
Last edited:

Ratty81

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2014
Messages
19
Ummm, I mix of good and bad news there. Great news that the two years cld be extended but bad that they will soon have all they need.
This could be a long wait for something that may not happen :roll:
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Thanks for the update Frankfurt. I agree Ratty81 that it's good news we may still hear from Metro if they keep the talent pool going for longer than the two years.

I wonder if anyone knows how many passed the assessments at Doncaster? If it was 34 then Ratty81 and I are unlucky, but I suspect it was many more. I probably won't like the answer but if anyone has an idea I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks again to all who've responded to my posts.
 

Driver068

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
667
Hi,

I wouldn't worry about the 2 year expiry on your Donny assessments, Metro don't follow that and through using their own discretion extend the 2 years when needed. I've been told up to 4 years, whether or not true I know drivers who passed same assessments over 3 years prior to appointment.

It's because DB are so obsessed with penny pinching it is unreal :-x

Once the current 8 (latest June school) have passed out driver numbers will be over compliment, certainly if September course goes ahead - sorry to dash hopes. On the other hand though there's many counting down the days and weeks to retirement. There are loads who'd love to go given half a chance, one driver currently working his notice to pursue a different career so who knows. Doubt there's a definite answer.

On a separate note be prepared for industrial action soon. ASLEF confirmed, others unions still to ballot. Morale amongst the workforce low.

Apologies I may not of read this post correctly but arnt the trainee train drivers assessments valid for 5 years. Does DBTW only recognise them for up too two years.

UNRELATED, DBTW conducted a recruitment drive last year, how many more drivers are to undergo training. I am lead to believe theres going to be a recruitment drive towards the end of 2016/Jan 2017.
 

Frankfurt

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2010
Messages
124
Apologies I may not of read this post correctly but arnt the trainee train drivers assessments valid for 5 years. Does DBTW only recognise them for up too two years.

UNRELATED, DBTW conducted a recruitment drive last year, how many more drivers are to undergo training. I am lead to believe theres going to be a recruitment drive towards the end of 2016/Jan 2017.


Hi,

The driver assessments as I understood lasted 2 years, this may or may not be the case - I'm not that clued up. DBTW recognise them beyond the 2 years at their own discretion.

There are a group of drivers about to pass out, currently concluding their required driving hours with minder drivers and sitting their tests. Another group currently in the classroom, as far as I'm aware no more planned after that - though still people in holding pool. As for a recruitment drive, afraid I couldn't tell you. Possibly? Certainly many drivers fed up, those due for retirement going asap and many others at least trying to move on.
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Hey all,

Glad to see there's still some life to this thread. As one of the people in the holding pool from the last recruitment drive (passed the assessments Dec 2014), I'm still hoping I'll hear something from DB one day, and keenly aware my pass may only be valid for another year!

I realise that I can't have scored high enough on the tests to get into one of the classes this time. Driving a train is a serious job and I'd only want the best people doing it, but I'm left wondering what the chances of eventually getting called up are?

Does anyone know if most people in a holding pool eventually get called up? I recall reading on this forum someone being called up three years after passing the assessments, so I'm living in hope!

I know the holding pool might dwindle over time as circumstances change (people get new jobs/move away etc), but would DB go through another round of recruitment/assessments when there are people (and potentially lots of them!) still in the holding bank?

Thanks again in advance of any info, however speculative it may be :)
 

barcode

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2014
Messages
10
So does anyone know how many training schools have definitely gone through from the 2014 Recruitment? One in February and one in June - but what about the one that was mentioned for September? Just good to know whereabouts we might be on the waiting list, cheers!
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Hi,

Previous posts say there have been three intakes (February/June/September 2015) of 8 trainees each (24 new drivers total), and driver numbers would be over complement with the September class. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have got this wrong.

Fingers-crossed for more intakes someday soon.
 

Driver068

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
667
Hi,

Previous posts say there have been three intakes (February/June/September 2015) of 8 trainees each (24 new drivers total), and driver numbers would be over complement with the September class. I'm sure someone will correct me if I have got this wrong.

Fingers-crossed for more intakes someday soon.

I might be wrong but with the last recruitment drive at the end of 2014, they would have enough candidate to take them through until end 2016. Bearing in mind also, unless someone can correct me saying so, but there contract is due to run out in 2017 with an option of a two year extension. With the current failings of DBTW I can not see there being an extension, this may or may not effect any potential recruitment.
 

Ratty81

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2014
Messages
19
Still in the holding pool myself. It does sound as if they have enough drivers now. Dependant on leavers and retirements by the sounds of things
 

Driver068

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2014
Messages
667
Still in the holding pool myself. It does sound as if they have enough drivers now. Dependant on leavers and retirements by the sounds of things

I assume that would of been taken into consideration in Nov 15 for the next 2 years. I can see them recruiting until at least jan 17, There seems to be enough in the talent pool until then
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is there anyone on here currently under going train crew training who knows or is planning to go mainline, using the Metro as a stepping stone so too speak
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Ask some questions and I may be able to answer them.

Hi,

Don't suppose you know roughly how many made it through the assessments into the holding bank from last years recruitment? Or failing that, how many assessment days were held in Doncaster?

In mine only 2 of 4 passed, so assuming groups of 4-6(?) with a complete guess at 50% making it through, if we knew roughly how many assessments there were we could take an educated guess at how many of us are in this limbo. More speculation I know but arguably it beats not having a clue!
 
Last edited:

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Unfortunately only HR will know the exact totals. As has been said previously there are a group of trainees which are about to pass out (some passed out last week) and also another group in the school. There was talk about another school in the New Year but this looks to have been postponed. At the minute there are more drivers than the roster actually needs, which means some drivers don't have their own line and are effectively permanently spare. At least two internal candidates were supposed to be on the next training school but I haven't heard anything else about next year.

There are a few drivers due to leave in December and at least two others are going to join other companies soon. They will no doubt not be the last so time will tell if another school will start next year.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Just found out today that there indeed looks to be another course starting in February.
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
Just found out today that there indeed looks to be another course starting in February.

This is exciting news, thanks for the update! Do you happen to know when the candidates will be notified (or if they have already)?

If anyone still subscribed to this thread should get called up, first, congratulations! - but second, please let us know, I'd really appreciate hearing how you get on.

Thanks again for the updates...fingers crossed (again)!
 

Dobb

Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
29
It is true about the February intake. I had a phone call offering me a place but I had to turn it down unfortunately as I had just started a new job.

Good luck with all those waiting to hear.
 

Ratty81

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2014
Messages
19
Anyone who has received the call this time around huge congrats!
Not heard anything myself, if I do though will post here. Good luck to everyone still on 'the list' :D
 
Joined
18 Apr 2015
Messages
21
It is true about the February intake. I had a phone call offering me a place but I had to turn it down unfortunately as I had just started a new job.

Good luck with all those waiting to hear.

Oh that's too bad Dobb, but congratulations on your new job. Can you tell me when they contacted you? Like Ratty, I haven't heard anything yet but was hoping it might be a case of them sending out something in the post. Of course, if they're ringing people up and this was a while ago, I'll know not to hold my breath for this intake :(

Thanks, as always, to anyone able to keep us posted on any developments.
 

barcode

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2014
Messages
10
Just found out today that there indeed looks to be another course starting in February.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, really appreciate it.

So for the 2014 recruitment there has been a school in February, April, September and another due to start February 2015?
 
Last edited:

Frankfurt

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2010
Messages
124
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, really appreciate it.

So for the 2014 recruitment there has been a school in February, April, September and another due to start February 2015?

I think you need to fast forward a year ;)

But, yes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top