• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two separate tickets - what happens if my connection is late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSmiths82

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2023
Messages
611
Location
Manchester
I am travelling from Manchester to Bournemouth in just over a months time and I want to avoid Cross Country at all costs, I am still having nightmares of my journey from Manchester to Birmingham. I can get a good discount on Avanti trains via a work scheme which means I can get a peak train to London for just £26. This is cheaper than booking the same journey in one go. It means I then might go first class on the Bournemouth journey as I have read mixed things about the comfort on the class 444s.

I am planning to leave 1:30 hours for a connection time between Euston and Waterloo which should be more than enough time, and hopefully give me time to get something to eat and smell some of fresh London air. My question is what happens if my Avanti train is late and I miss the connection to Bournemouth, will they still let me travel on a later train or will it be my tough luck as I booked it as two separate journeys. I have always assumed it was tough look, but I have reads a lot of conflicting information saying it doesn't matter how you buy the tickets, if you're late because of another train then they have to still let you on another train and they can charge that back to who ever caused the original delay.

I can book this is a single journey via London but that journey is even tighter (just under an hour connection time) and I would have to leave Manchester a couple of hours later so I would rather book the two separate tickets if I can.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,327
Location
Glasgow
I am travelling from Manchester to Bournemouth in just over a months time and I want to avoid Cross Country at all costs, I am still having nightmares of my journey from Manchester to Birmingham. I can get a good discount on Avanti trains via a work scheme which means I can get a peak train to London for just £26. This is cheaper than booking the same journey in one go. It means I then might go first class on the Bournemouth journey as I have read mixed things about the comfort on the class 444s.

I am planning to leave 1:30 hours for a connection time between Euston and Waterloo which should be more than enough time, and hopefully give me time to get something to eat and smell some of fresh London air. My question is what happens if my Avanti train is late and I miss the connection to Bournemouth, will they still let me travel on a later train or will it be my tough luck as I booked it as two separate journeys. I have always assumed it was tough look, but I have reads a lot of conflicting information saying it doesn't matter how you buy the tickets, if you're late because of another train then they have to still let you on another train and they can charge that back to who ever caused the original delay.

I can book this is a single journey via London but that journey is even tighter (just under an hour connection time) and I would have to leave Manchester a couple of hours later so I would rather book the two separate tickets if I can.
Doesn't matter if it's separate tickets, your right to be accommodated on a later service if your connection is missed is the same.

The NRCoT contains the following provisions:

Condition 14.1 states you can make one journey with multiple tickets

Condition 9.4 permits you to take the next train (subject to your original ticket's route/TOC restrictions) if you miss a booked train due to previous late-running connection(s).
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,149
Location
Wilmslow
I can book this is a single journey via London but that journey is even tighter (just under an hour connection time) and I would have to leave Manchester a couple of hours later so I would rather book the two separate tickets if I can.
You can also book this as a single journey via London using this site’s ticketing by specifying a longer interchange time, so you can have a two hour connection time or whatever.
The minimum time to allow Euston-Waterloo is 55 minutes so booking sites will always honour this by default. But as long as you allow at least this time between Euston arrival and Waterloo departure, with separate tickets if you want, the connection is valid and you can travel on a later connecting train if your first train is delayed.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,739
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
With regard to 444 Standard I don't recall anyone slating it - personally I find it pretty good with generous legroom at all seats. 1st is pretty poor now with less legroom than Standard and 2+2 layout so I really wouldn't recommend spending out on that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top