I suppose at least some of the comments here aren't as bad as some other websites:
This is disgusting, shareholder profits again before the public, renationalise the lot.
Er, Network rail is a government backed not for Profit Company, there are no shareholders. The profits are reinvested in the network and to go to pay the huge loans off when we bought it back from the shareholders.
There is no competition, it's a complete monopoly
Yes there is, it's called the car, plane and coach. Chiltern Railways also runs parallel services to the West coast main line.
I always use my car, it only costs X in fuel to get to London
When you add the costs of the vehicle, servicing, breakdown cover, fuel, parking and insurance, it's rarely cheaper than the train for one person. Usually around 50p per mile, sometimes much more. All the figures are published in 'What car', for example.
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-costs.aspx?RT=2732&ED=51619&U=0
Manchester to London fare is so expensive, how can anyone afford to travel?
The full open return is, but very few people pay it and it's designed for business travellers who need to travel during the peak. Perhaps some of the full fares are too expensive, but 85% of people travel on discounted fares, for not much more than a tenner on that route in some cases. The average fare on national rail is around £4.40 and on Northern Rail around £2.35. We could have cheaper travel during the peak, but that would lead to overcrowding, and there is little point in buying more infrastructure if it is not used during off-peak hours. Indeed, it's the empty off peak trains is why some railways need subsidy. We would be much better smoothing all our transport demand through price or staggering working hours.
I never use the train, it's so unreliable. I'll stick to my car and the plane
Well the M3 was closed for hours yesterday, and millions of hours are lost on congested roads, many of which cannot be improved around cities because of space limitations. All industrialised countries have much the same problem, even in Japan where rail has a 42% modal share. Airline timekeeping is around 20% worse than rail.
I suppose if people repeat it enough they start to believe these things. Meanwhile everyone is quite welcome to go and check all I have written above. Perhaps these people get all their ‘facts’ from the tabloid newspapers, or are members of the road lobby? While our railways aren't perfect (indeed far from it at Rugby which is indeed an almighty cock-up) banding around lies and mis-truths isn't helpful.
The only issue I generally have, and I think people should concern themselves with is why the privatised railway is costing much more than BR. But a good deal of that is down to risk aversion and a poor structure thought up by economists not railwaymen.