• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Two discounts on one oyster card

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasheywood

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2024
Messages
85
Location
Alexandra Palace
I’m waiting for my new Freedom Pass (I’ve moved borough and have had to reapply) however as I’m in receipt of ESA I can claim for a bus and tram discount and as a holder of a disabled railcard I can get a discount placed on an Oyster card. My question is can I have both discounts on one Oyster card or do I need to carry two separate cards
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,769
I’m waiting for my new Freedom Pass (I’ve moved borough and have had to reapply) however as I’m in receipt of ESA I can claim for a bus and tram discount and as a holder of a disabled railcard I can get a discount placed on an Oyster card. My question is can I have both discounts on one Oyster card or do I need to carry two separate cards
Ive no idea what ESA is, but in general you can only have one discount on an Oyster card.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,769
The OP is mentioning about this discount.


@MikeWh may be able to answer regarding whether both discounts can be held on one oyster card. I suspect the answer may be no.
Thanks. So, the OP cannot add the discount to a normal Oyster card, and would appear not to qualify for this in any case as they already receive free travel through a Freedom Pass.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
Thanks. So, the OP cannot add the discount to a normal Oyster card, and would appear not to qualify for this in any case as they already receive free travel through a Freedom Pass.
I didn't read through the page, but yes that seems to be the case.

However the OP mentions about re applying for a Freedom Pass because of a change of address/borough.

I'm not sure of the waiting times for Freedom Passes.
 

thomasheywood

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2024
Messages
85
Location
Alexandra Palace
Thanks. So, the OP cannot add the discount to a normal Oyster card, and would appear not to qualify for this in any case as they already receive free travel through a Freedom Pass.
I don’t receive free travel with a Freedom pass, or at least I won’t from Monday as it expires on the 31st and I still haven’t heard back from my new borough council…
 

charley_17/7

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2006
Messages
204
Location
Milton Keynes Central
I have both Bus & Tram discount and Disabled Persons Railcard on my Oyster, both the Photocard numbers need to be entered on the staff hidden screen and dates to be valid.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I don’t receive free travel with a Freedom pass, or at least I won’t from Monday as it expires on the 31st and I still haven’t heard back from my new borough council…
I think what @Haywain was saying is that generally with a Freedom Pass you receive free travel so you cannot have 2 types of discount at any one time.

However from Monday as you have mentioned you will not as your Freedom Pass will of expired. Have you contacted your new borough to see how long it may take for the new pass to arrive?
 

thomasheywood

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2024
Messages
85
Location
Alexandra Palace
I think what @Haywain was saying is that generally with a Freedom Pass you receive free travel so you cannot have 2 types of discount at any one time.

However from Monday as you have mentioned you will not as your Freedom Pass will of expired. Have you contacted your new borough to see how long it may take for the new pass to arrive?
I have mate, they said applications are taking more than 12 weeks at present
 

bakerstreet

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Messages
1,164
Location
-
For info, I have had two discounts on Oyster several years ago. Also, see this thread.


Yes, you can have both on there. I've had two or three discounts on my Oyster card at the same time for the last few years, including the two mentioned at one point.

You'll get charged the cheapest fare and the railcard cap will apply.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,769
I think what @Haywain was saying is that generally with a Freedom Pass you receive free travel so you cannot have 2 types of discount at any one time.
That's right - I suspect it's qualifying for the discounts that is relevant. I don't know for certain though, and I expect there's a waiting time for the photocard anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top