kristiang85
Established Member
- Joined
- 23 Jan 2018
- Messages
- 2,745
This morning I was trying to buy an open return on a TVM at Manchester Piccadilly to Windermere (on the 10.26 TPE). Not only was it apparently only offering day returns rather than an option for opens when I clicked flexible tickets, when I got exasperated and clicked single ticket it said it could not sell me one as the "train was full".
Luckily there was no queue at the ticket office, and the chap there happily sold us an open return for this service (for much cheaper than I would have paid going for the single the machine was pushing me into), and now we are on board there's an entire coach of unbooked seats (maybe more, I haven't seen the rest of the train).
Is there any reason the machine would make this purchase so difficult? And I thought it was actually impossible for a train to be "full" in the UK, so that tickets could not be sold?
Anyway, moral of the story - keep ticket offices!
Luckily there was no queue at the ticket office, and the chap there happily sold us an open return for this service (for much cheaper than I would have paid going for the single the machine was pushing me into), and now we are on board there's an entire coach of unbooked seats (maybe more, I haven't seen the rest of the train).
Is there any reason the machine would make this purchase so difficult? And I thought it was actually impossible for a train to be "full" in the UK, so that tickets could not be sold?
Anyway, moral of the story - keep ticket offices!
Last edited: