• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV Programme - 'The Nation's Railway' BBC 4 : Tues 24 Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
Joined
29 Aug 2014
Messages
3,158
In case you have not spotted it in the schedules, BBC 4 will be showing a programme about British Rail during the 1960's.
'Timeshift' on BBC 4 Tuesday 24 February 2015 at 9pm with a repeat on Thursday 26 February 2015 at 10pm.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006np8r

The Nation's Railway: The Golden Age of British Rail

Timeshift revisits Britain's railways during the era of nationalisation. For all its bad reputation today, the old British Rail boldly transformed a decayed, war-torn Victorian transport network into a system fit for the 20th century. With an eye firmly on the future, steam made way for diesel and electric, new modern stations like Euston were built, and Britain's first high-speed trains introduced.

Made with unique access to the British Transport Films archive, this is a warm corrective to the myth of the bad old days of rail, but even it can't hide from the horror that was a British Rail sandwich.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Looks interesting, although IMO it would be impossible to provide an even handed or realistic assessment of BR without looking at the entire history up until privatisation.
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
Thanks.

It may be of interest to some to know it's also repeated on Wednesday at 2.40 am, yes, am!

I found this out when I went to record the Tuesday broadcast and found I'd a conflict with other recordings.
 

Hophead

Established Member
Joined
5 Apr 2013
Messages
1,400
It may be of interest to some to know it's also repeated on Wednesday at 2.40 am, yes, am!

Fairly standard for BBC4 programmes to have several slots, but it's worth noting that the one you quote has sign language, which I find rather distracting (may also have a smaller screen size to accommodate the signer - can't remember, I only made the mistake of recording one of these once).
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
Fairly standard for BBC4 programmes to have several slots, but it's worth noting that the one you quote has sign language, which I find rather distracting (may also have a smaller screen size to accommodate the signer - can't remember, I only made the mistake of recording one of these once).

Ah, thank you, I had not realised it is a signed version.
 

38Cto15E

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2009
Messages
1,119
Location
15E
I bet he clips from the Restaurant Car will have you salivating, a bit better than todays fare (other than FGW Pullman).
 

Ediswan

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2012
Messages
3,459
Location
Stevenage
its not listed in RT as a repeat.

Does anything still admit to being a repeat ? On Freesat today this is listed as 'New'. 'Timeshift' is generally one-offs. So likely a repeat. (I will not be able to tell as I did not catch the first opportunity.)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Very enjoyable programme.

To me the restaurants in the new Euston and Birmingham New Street seemed quite dated and 1970's - much more so than the Mk2 and 3 train interiors of a similar vintage.

Bit of a shame that they cut to a CEP or a CIG whenever they had something negative to say though. Had some very nice journeys on those.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
Very enjoyable programme.

To me the restaurants in the new Euston and Birmingham New Street seemed quite dated and 1970's - much more so than the Mk2 and 3 train interiors of a similar vintage.

Bit of a shame that they cut to a CEP or a CIG whenever they had something negative to say though. Had some very nice journeys on those.

Even when the 'young people' were travelling to London from Liverpool and Manchester, they were in a BIG/CIG compartment, (the only one in a 4-car set)!
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b053pxdr

The nations railway : the golden age of British rail.

BBC 4 - 9pm

Not sure if it's a repeat ?

For what it's a worth, a generally failsafe way to tell if a BBC programme is a repeat is to look further down the episodes page – such as the one you linked to – and see what it says under the Broadcasts heading. If there aren't any former broadcasts listed then it's not a repeat. (The exception being very old programmes, for which previous broadcast data isn't available online.)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
Even when the 'young people' were travelling to London from Liverpool and Manchester, they were in a BIG/CIG compartment, (the only one in a 4-car set)!

I wondered whether they might have been on an REP - TC as they had a whole carriage of standard class compartments.

Quite realistic as when I was a young thing , me and my friends would always try and bag a compartment (often employing a pincer movement from either end of the carriage).

CIG's and VEP's you generally had one standard at each end, whilst for the CEP''s there was only one in the middle.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
I wondered whether they might have been on an REP - TC as they had a whole carriage of standard class compartments.

Quite realistic as when I was a young thing , me and my friends would always try and bag a compartment (often employing a pincer movement from either end of the carriage).

CIG's and VEP's you generally had one standard at each end, whilst for the CEP''s there was only one in the middle.

I can't be sure but I think that the REPs and 4TCs were all converted MKI LHCS but the CIGs/BIGs were new build. The compartment shown looked like the new build type.

I regularly travelled from Waterloo to Havant on business just before the 'Nelsons' were scrapped and after when the CIGs/BIGs were new. Nostalgia would drive me to say that the 4-CORs were better, but in all honesty they were bouncy, a bit tatty and weren't able to exploit the maximum Portsmouth Direct linespeed even in the late '60s.
A cheap day return from WAT to HAV was 21 shillings (£1.05), not a bad deal even then!
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
I can't be sure but I think that the REPs and 4TCs were all converted MKI LHCS but the CIGs/BIGs were new build. The compartment shown looked like the new build type.

I regularly travelled from Waterloo to Havant on business just before the 'Nelsons' were scrapped and after when the CIGs/BIGs were new. Nostalgia would drive me to say that the 4-CORs were better, but in all honesty they were bouncy, a bit tatty and weren't able to exploit the maximum Portsmouth Direct linespeed even in the late '60s.
A cheap day return from WAT to HAV was 21 shillings (£1.05), not a bad deal even then!

They were. Alas, I never got the opportunity to travel on the REP stock, so I wasn't aware of the different compartment design.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,061
Location
St Albans
They were. Alas, I never got the opportunity to travel on the REP stock, so I wasn't aware of the different compartment design.

I didn't go on them until the late '70s when they were getting near the end of their life, so their age was definitely beginning to show. The 4TCs were obviously a lot quieter but having all the power in the London end of the train made down journeys a bit jerky on starts. They did regularly get to their maximum speed though on the SWML.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Does anything still admit to being a repeat ? On Freesat today this is listed as 'New'. 'Timeshift' is generally one-offs. So likely a repeat. (I will not be able to tell as I did not catch the first opportunity.)

Radio Times is an excellent on line aide.It always tells me if the programme is a repeat,I agree many stations just churn them out, but the BBC is usually honest about repeats.
 

dgl

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2014
Messages
3,069
Definatly new AFAIK, did say (C) BBC MMXV at the end (which translates as (C) BBC 2015)
 

AdamHewitt

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2014
Messages
14
Yes, it is new. The series producer William Naylor got in touch with rail press to tell us about it and promote it.
 

Wyvern

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
1,573
Also recorded as new on IMDb

Oh Wow!

Also nice to see Alan Wickens and Kit Spackman looking so well .:)

At last the pioneering role of British Rail (and Derby) in the development of the world's railways is beginning to be recognised.
 

GarethJohn

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2014
Messages
251
Location
Powys
The way they get around classing it as not repeated. Is after they have sold it to UK Gold it will be labelled ''New to Gold''. After it's been shown a few hundred times the footage will be shuffled about a bit with celebrity guests talking about a scene and then labelled as brand new. The BBC also does this when someone dies by calling the program a tribute night to.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top