• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV alert: Great British Railway Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
He was sitting next to another passenger in an airline seat a few programmes ago.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I'd love to know why nobody in the whole of South Wales had a bad thing to say about politics, I got the impression they weren't very fond of the Tories in that part of the world :lol:

nb: This is almost certainly because the BBC can't show political bias but I though twas amusing nonetheless
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
I thought so, although I don't know what he does when the train is busy!

They probably don't travel at peak times. No doubt there is some poor, overworked, downtrodden media studies student researcher working out when the quietest train will be.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
I'd love to know why nobody in the whole of South Wales had a bad thing to say about politics, I got the impression they weren't very fond of the Tories in that part of the world :lol:

nb: This is almost certainly because the BBC can't show political bias but I though twas amusing nonetheless

I genuinely cannot be bothered worrying about it to be honest, and I'm from right in the heart of South Wales.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
The sacrifices he makes for television. I expect the moment the cameras stopped rolling* he was off at the next stop and up to a taxi like a rat up a drainpipe.

* or digitating, or whatever they do now

IIRC he stated in that programme that he used the tube. I know you'll probably say he was just saying that, but what would be the point?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Trains are never full for the Portrillo. He just sends a few lackeys to usher the plebs into the next carriage, or the next train.

Funny how we've seem him standing on a (NR) train in some programme then.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I bet he's in First Class where available, and only sneaks into Second Class to do the filming :p
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
IIRC he stated in that programme that he used the tube. I know you'll probably say he was just saying that, but what would be the point?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Funny how we've seem him standing on a (NR) train in some programme then.

Oh heavens, i was being jocular. No need to take everything so seriously. :roll:
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Sorry to mention continuity again, but I'm sure I just saw Portillo on an XC HST, a clip of an XC HST pulling into the station and then standing next to XC HST :shock:

Naturally, they then filmed a HST leaving the station again so guess they carried on filming from previously. Considering that there are so few XC HST sets though, I'm pretty impressed they got one with continuity :D
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,852
I can't believe what I'm seeing, Portillo is having to stand on a 156!

That aside, I really am enjoying the series, and have just ordered my own (albeit a Facsimile) Bradshaw's guide! :P
 

SteveP29

Member
Joined
23 Apr 2011
Messages
1,181
Location
Edinburgh/ Chester le Street
Sorry to mention continuity again, but I'm sure I just saw Portillo on an XC HST, a clip of an XC HST pulling into the station and then standing next to XC HST :shock:

Naturally, they then filmed a HST leaving the station again so guess they carried on filming from previously. Considering that there are so few XC HST sets though, I'm pretty impressed they got one with continuity :D

I was going to mention that too. All of the aerial shots were of an HST, when he was stood at Berwick station awaiting his next train south, a voyager pulled in, subsequent aerial shots were of the HST again.

I suspect the helicopter just followed the HST for a while to film it and they inserted the ground footage between to make it look like one continuous journey. Not that I know anything about making tv programmes.
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
i suppose that unless you have a specially chartered train and a line possession, you'd have to work around what trains are available rather than saying "Sorry love, could we go back and do that again?". :oops:
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
I really enjoy this series. It's very enjoyable and generally see the programme 1-3 days later than transmission on BBC2.HD via torrent share (oops I hope that admission doesn't get me kicked off the site so soon after I joined.) Being out here on the shores of the Caspian, I get a lot of pleasure seeing home, rail lines I have not travelled on and stations and destinations I have only passed through. Being originally from West Cornwall and loving rail, I am taken to many places I have never been to or most probably never will.

I like the Social History of the series. The fact that Portillo gets on a certain class of train and then is filmed in a different class of carriage travelling the wrong way, doesn't bother me. Yes the continuity sucks. The whole series is done on the cheap - Just freeze frame the ticket that comes to him at the sales desk - It's a single Exeter St. Davids to Exeter Central. Possibly the cheapest ticket to buy on the network and not actually have to travel. Portillo's so called sexuality comes into play a lot too. The pink shirts and the "butch looking" younger men who seem to be favoured for either being in the background or interviewed. The so called "local" residents who seem to be so available to have a conversation with Portillo, and my favourite highlight, Jake the Junkie, on Truro station, trying to hide himself from being filmed in the background during a shot of Portillo explaining the significance of the City of Truro to the tin industry in series 1 - All balls of course.

The again in the titles each day, through the window of the train carriage in the introductory sequence, I see each day, the best view in the UK from Porthminster beach to the most wonderful town in the UK, my home town of St.Ives. It makes the programme for me. Now I don't care if he travels 1st 2nd or in the toilet, or stands. I don't care that it a Pendolino, Voyager, Pacer, Sprinter, Class 70, 47,34, 27,273, Deltic or whatever, I enjoy the show for what it explains about the variety, diversity and also the unity to the UK that the rail system today has to offer, and the comaprision to what our wonderful nation had in 1840/1860, and I don't give a monkeys nose what the nitpickers here say about the programme. I LOVE IT!

By the way - I'm really looking forward to the Irish Ride next week - never been there so it will be fascinating
 
Last edited:

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I really enjoy this series. It's very enjoyable and generally see the programme 1-3 days later than transmission on BBC2.HD via torrent share (oops I hope that admission doesn't get me kicked off the site so soon after I joined.) Being out here on the shores of the Caspian, I get a lot of pleasure seeing home, rail lines I have not travelled on and stations and destinations I have only passed through. Being originally from West Cornwall and loving rail, I am taken to many places I have never been to or most probably never will.

I like the Social History of the series. The fact that Portillo gets on a certain class of train and then is filmed in a different class of carriage travelling the wrong way, doesn't bother me. Yes the continuity sucks. The whole series is done on the cheap - Just freeze frame the ticked that comes to him at the sales desk - It's a single Exeter St. Davids to Exeter Central. Possibly the cheapest ticket to buy and not actually have to travel.

Or to buy in order to go through the Ticket barriers, but then be able to catch any train that goes anywhere, confident that one can blag one's way past any ticket inspection!

* N.B. No, I'm not trying to accuse Don Miguel of fare evasion, before anyone gets excited.
 

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
a single Exeter St. Davids to Exeter Central. Possibly the cheapest ticket to buy on the network and not actually have to travel. and my favourite highlight, Jake the Junkie, on Truro station, trying to hide himself from being filmed in the background during a shot of Portillo explaining the significance of the City of Truro to the tin industry in series 1 - All balls of course.

Yes I know its from series 1

Basil Fawlty in full rant mode: What's this? Mastermind? Name - Sybil Fawlty. Specialist Subject - Stating the bleeding obvious!:lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top