• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV alert: Great British Railway Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Apr 2011
Messages
317
Location
Over there
Some of the railway film clips they use are a bit random for a travelogue in East Anglia.

Last night they had what appeared to be a Schools class in Kent and a Duchess leaving Euston mixed in with the old branch line offerings.

But I suppose it is old and of a steam locomotive, so they assume most of the audience will not know the difference.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
That girl in the background just now was cute ;)

on the platform at tower hill
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder how much that cocktail would set him back normally
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Interesting programme this evening, I enjoyed that. A bit disappointing that he stood outside the Royal Exchange and didn't mention James Henry Greathead, pioneer of tunnelling and underground railway engineering, whose statue could be seen over the shoulder of the historian Portillo was interviewing!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyhow, simplistic criticism over, and now on to the serious stuff. It is all very well Portillo fronting a series about "Great Railway Journeys" - but how much of the series actually features on the railways and not on the random and often remote places he visits?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick as to what the programme's about.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
I quite enjoyed tonight's little ramble, especially with the old mail collecting carriage - made me remember that I used to have the working model of that on my train set when I was little, collected and deposited the mailbags it did!

Well it impressed me.. ;)
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
I quite enjoyed tonight's little ramble, especially with the old mail collecting carriage - made me remember that I used to have the working model of that on my train set when I was little, collected and deposited the mailbags it did!

Well it impressed me.. ;)

Where is he this week?
 

Tiny Tim

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2012
Messages
463
Location
Devizes, Wiltshire.
The borderline obsessives who use this forum are quick to point out Mr Portillo's startling ability to depart on one train and arrive on another, but 99% of telly viewers can't tell the difference between a Pendolino and Mallard, so are unaffected by these apparently glaring errors. The reason these continuity problems arise is because they're only using one camera, and it can't be on the train with Mr Portaloo and on the platform waiting to greet him at his destination.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
I missed the show today, and will miss it tomorrow as I'm out. But I did like yesterday's episode when he was on the Isle of Wight and when he went inside Eastleigh Depot.

And I must admit, I love his selection of bright jackets. :D
 

Metroland

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2005
Messages
3,212
Location
Midlands
Next week is Oxford to S Wales via Worcester, and the following week is Berwick to the Isle of Man via Sellafield, if anyone is interested.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Next week is Oxford to S Wales via Worcester, and the following week is Berwick to the Isle of Man via Sellafield, if anyone is interested.

Is Berwick as far North for this years jaunt or is he going to enter Scotland
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
I wish he had gone to Portsmouth and then gone on the Island Line on the IoW rather than saying that Soton was the end of the line for getting there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In continuation of what Tiny Tim has said, this is understandable but there was one the other dsy that made no sense.

Film shows a 159 approaching (can't remember where) and Portillo getting on, then him doing his bit for camera on a Desiro (pretty sure, though not sure if it was a 444 or 450) and then getting off a 159 (with the train filmed leaving)
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I wish he had gone to Portsmouth and then gone on the Island Line on the IoW rather than saying that Soton was the end of the line for getting there.

It wasn;t really on the route for this week. More importantly, I suspect, it gave him the chance to reminisce about his holidays and talk about Queen Victoria!
 

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
20 Mar 2011
Messages
3,894
Location
West Country
Next week is Oxford to S Wales via Worcester, and the following week is Berwick to the Isle of Man via Sellafield, if anyone is interested.

I'm annoyed he isn't going to Droitwich Spa. :roll: Here's a route he could do: Marylebone-Bridgnorth.
Episode 1: Marylebone-Aylesbury
Episode 2: Aylesbury-Banbury
Episode 3: Banbury-Birmingham Moor St
Epsiode 4: Birmingham Snow Hill-Droitwich Spa
Episode 5: Bewdley-Bridgnorth
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I'm annoyed he isn't going to Droitwich Spa. :roll: Here's a route he could do: Marylebone-Bridgnorth.
Episode 1: Marylebone-Aylesbury
Episode 2: Aylesbury-Banbury
Episode 3: Banbury-Birmingham Moor St
Epsiode 4: Birmingham Snow Hill-Droitwich Spa
Episode 5: Bewdley-Bridgnorth

You really like Droitwich don't you? :lol:
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
Well, I was watching carefully for inaccuracies or continuity errors, but they seemed to be fairly well organised in tonights episode. He got on a train at Norden with a Standard tank on the front, and got off at corfe castle with a Standard tank, and got on a 444 at wareham, and got off a 444 at Weymouth. Though the sea did look remarkably blue, i have to say. Wherever did he get so many nice days? :o
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
I'm annoyed he isn't going to Droitwich Spa. :roll: Here's a route he could do: Marylebone-Bridgnorth.
Episode 1: Marylebone-Aylesbury
Episode 2: Aylesbury-Banbury
Episode 3: Banbury-Birmingham Moor St
Epsiode 4: Birmingham Snow Hill-Droitwich Spa
Episode 5: Bewdley-Bridgnorth

Nah, there are other routes which are more interesting....

Blackpool North to York via Accrington because Accrington used to be a important junction station with direct services to Leeds, Manchester, Blackpool etc with multiple platforms and the station based on a triangle formation with it's own locomotive sheds as well, now a shadow of it's former glory.

Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln, Spalding like Accrington in it's prime was a major junction station with services to Grimsby, March, Lincoln, Peterborough etc....with about 7 platforms now reduced to a fraction of it's former glory.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Blackpool North to York via Accrington because Accrington used to be a important junction station with direct services to Leeds, Manchester, Blackpool etc with multiple platforms and the station based on a triangle formation with it's own locomotive sheds as well, now a shadow of it's former glory.

I think Michael has done Blackpool and York in the first series. He should go down to Pembrokeshire.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
He hasn't.

Next week's run ends in Milford Haven after half a week in South Wales...

He didn't go from Blackpool to York on the same trip, he did Preston to Kirkcaldy stopping off at Blackpool on 11-15th January 2010 and he did Newcastle to Melton Mowbray via York a year later.

Ooh I'm glad he's in South Wales, will have to watch that.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
He didn't go from Blackpool to York on the same trip, he did Preston to Kirkcaldy stopping off at Blackpool on 11-15th January 2010 and he did Newcastle to Melton Mowbray via York a year later.

Ooh I'm glad he's in South Wales, will have to watch that.

Sorry, thought you said York to Blackpool. Still, as ajax103 pointed out, he is missing a lot by not doing so!
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
Sorry, thought you said York to Blackpool. Still, as ajax103 pointed out, he is missing a lot by not doing so!

Yeah, he should do the more central Lancashire towns like Accrington, Blackburn and Burnley, and even across to Bradford and even make a stop in Leeds, not sure if he's visited Leeds city, he can go straight along the Caldervale Line :D
 

Lrd

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2010
Messages
3,018
Well, I was watching carefully for inaccuracies or continuity errors, but they seemed to be fairly well organised in tonights episode. He got on a train at Norden with a Standard tank on the front, and got off at corfe castle with a Standard tank, and got on a 444 at wareham, and got off a 444 at Weymouth. Though the sea did look remarkably blue, i have to say. Wherever did he get so many nice days? :o
I've noticed one or two train related continuity errors but can't think of them at this time.

One thing that I have noticed though in the Winchester - Isle of Wight episode (which I am in btw) there is a shot of the gangway on the Red Funnel ferry lowering (opening), which is actually raising (closing) and they reversed the clip and then after that there is a shot of Portillo next to a Wightlink ferry.
 

martinsh

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2011
Messages
1,766
Location
Considering a move to Memphis
Is it just me, or did last night's episode have more continuity errors than normal ? The one that sticks in the mind is "I am now heading up the valleys from Cardiff on the old Taff Vale railway" - cue picture of Pacer on a 4 track line. Return to Michael who seem to be in a class 158 ??!!

And has anyone else noticed that Michael almost always sits on the right hand side of the train facing the direction of travel ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top