• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TV Alert: Full Steam Ahead 21.7.2016 bbc2 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Hmm - I moan on about the collapse of grammar via this forum, and the BBC does this! Hyphen absence alert!

"The introduction of steam railways in the early 19th century changed Britain in a way no one could have predicted. This episode explores how they created a domestic revolution, changing the way we lived, from the houses we lived in to the food we ate."
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Hmm - I moan on about the collapse of grammar via this forum, and the BBC does this! Hyphen absence alert!

"The introduction of steam railways in the early 19th century changed Britain in a way no one could have predicted. This episode explores how they created a domestic revolution, changing the way we lived, from the houses we lived in to the food we ate."

I doubt that anyone really cares, if I'm honest. I will be judging the programme by its content and execution, not the grammar in the blurb.

This will be a more prefessional show than TL, an antidote so to speak (not that I particularly disliked trainspotting live)

Either way, it's good to see so many recent tv programmes about the railways.
 
Last edited:

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,304
Location
East Midlands
Hmm - I moan on about the collapse of grammar via this forum, and the BBC does this! Hyphen absence alert!

"The introduction of steam railways in the early 19th century changed Britain in a way no one could have predicted..."

This is not really wrong. Modern usage (as determined by a number of different sources) generally accepts "no-one" and "no one" as correct and both are common. However "noone" is not recommended (although it is increasingly common).
Hyphenation has always been a grey area and subject to considerable change over time.
 

2HAP

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2016
Messages
473
Location
Hadlow
I started a thread on this very subject and it got moved. :( As I now see this one has too. Yet the trainspotting live thread was left where it was started.
 
Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,280
Hmm - I moan on about the collapse of grammar via this forum, and the BBC does this! Hyphen absence alert!

"The introduction of steam railways in the early 19th century changed Britain in a way no one could have predicted. This episode explores how they created a domestic revolution, changing the way we lived, from the houses we lived in to the food we ate."

The Oxford English Dictionary is generally accepted as the authority on English spelling. So how does the OED spell it?

No one...
 

jimm

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2012
Messages
5,280
What's wrong with 'nobody' then?

In the case of no one, there needs to be some sort of break between the two 'o's, doesn't there? Otherwise you end up with a longwinded way of spelling noon, with a superfluous 'e'.

There is not the same issue putting 'o' and 'b' together, so one word for nobody.

Just because Deepgreen favours using a hyphen in no-one, does not mean that the BBC writing no one is wrong. BBC house rules on writing styles may well dictate using the OED as a reference point.

How English is spelled and why is a rather complicated subject and can be rather random. Not surprising given all the various sources of words, such as Anglo-Saxon, Norse, French, Latin, Celtic, etc
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,961
Location
Devon
Yeah I thought it was really good. Appealing to train types and non train types. Loved the gravity train.
 

AndrewE

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2015
Messages
7,370
Part 2 on BBC 4 at 8:00 tonight. If you watch the scheduling they do repeat it.

It's on Thursday night at 8pm on BBC2 on my TV... On now is Timeshift about BR, a very good programme when I saw it a while ago.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top