Crossforth
Established Member
I was just looking through the specs of the 172 on Wikipedia and it showed the numbering and this struck me as odd:
Class-------Unit nos.
Class 172/0 172001-172008
Class 172/1 172101-172104
Class 172/2 172211-172222
Class 172/3 172331-172345
The numbering of the first two sub classes I understand but the it gets to the 172/2s. Why does it start at 172211 and not 172201?
Again with the 172/3s, why start with 172301 rather than 172331?
I then went on to look at the sub classes of 170.
170/1s; seem normal
170/2s; 201-208, 270-273 - why not just have 201 to 211? I understand there was 3 years between there construction but still, it shouldn't affect how they are numbered as they are both in the same sub class.
All the other sub classes and class 171/7s seem to be rather random and what I want to know is why


Class-------Unit nos.
Class 172/0 172001-172008
Class 172/1 172101-172104
Class 172/2 172211-172222
Class 172/3 172331-172345
The numbering of the first two sub classes I understand but the it gets to the 172/2s. Why does it start at 172211 and not 172201?
Again with the 172/3s, why start with 172301 rather than 172331?
I then went on to look at the sub classes of 170.
170/1s; seem normal
170/2s; 201-208, 270-273 - why not just have 201 to 211? I understand there was 3 years between there construction but still, it shouldn't affect how they are numbered as they are both in the same sub class.
All the other sub classes and class 171/7s seem to be rather random and what I want to know is why