• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube driver filming himself whilst driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
Neither TOC I’ve worked for has an issue with it, all subject to the person not being on a plan, not being first year post qualified etc., of course.
Interesting to know. The rationale here is that statistically you are much more likely to have an incident with more than one person in the cab, which is why it's heavily restricted.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Interesting to know. The rationale here is that statistically you are much more likely to have an incident with more than one person in the cab, which is why it's heavily restricted.

That makes sense to a point - albeit I’d personally rather this was left to peoples’ discretion. There’s never an obligation to take someone into the cab with you, but it can be a refreshing change at times!
 

bengley

Established Member
Joined
18 May 2008
Messages
1,987
PASS is part of a driver's duty. There is nothing wrong with a driver passing in the cab of a train. Some companies interpret this differently to each other but there is nothing in the rules against it.
 

announcements

Member
Joined
31 Mar 2011
Messages
710
I support Dale and if his management does, that's even more reason for us to let it be.

If anything, the safety issue didn't even cross my mind; if I were to have any doubts it would have been him giving away what the behind-the-scenes features look like! I remember visiting the mock-up Evo stock back in 2014 and asking if there would be a cab or DLR-style no cab and the attendant told me the former due to TfL not wanting passengers to see things they ought not to! But really, does it matter? Even the location of vent shafts are common knowledge these days and you can even feel their impact on the Piccadilly line. We have BVE and DEVs out there.
 
Last edited:

Kay_M

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2019
Messages
253
I have seen his videos on YouTube and personally I don't think there's any wrong with what he's done and if anything even with a sensitive incident that occurred on one of his shifts he respected the privacy of the individual involved. That speaks volumes and it also gives a hindsight as to what drivers really face on a day to day and crush that theory from the General public that all they do is push buttons all day.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
It’s not really about whether there is anything “wrong” with it. It’s about whether it is correct for TfL to be allowing drivers to complete activities at work which do not directly relate to the driving task - which certainly would be a break from convention - and whether this has been properly risk assessed (which I suspect not, as I don’t see how it would pass any such assessment).
 

Kay_M

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2019
Messages
253
It’s not really about whether there is anything “wrong” with it. It’s about whether it is correct for TfL to be allowing drivers to complete activities at work which do not directly relate to the driving task - which certainly would be a break from convention - and whether this has been properly risk assessed (which I suspect not, as I don’t see how it would pass any such assessment).
Let me ask you this in all respect. Do you currently drive trains at the moment? If so are cab ride recordings from your organisation banned?
 

Kay_M

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2019
Messages
253
I stopped driving within the last year. However, there is no way a driver would've been given authority to record cab views, especially not without management present.
Fair enough. I only asked because of reading through the pages and going through various comments whilst I get it from both sides where there's a very thin line because one mistake can be fatal. Perhaps it could be a case that his superiors may know about it and advised him along with the union (if he's a part of it) what can be allowed and what can't be. If of course the rules change then he would be forced to take down the content.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Fair enough. I only asked because of reading through the pages and going through various comments whilst I get it from both sides where there's a very thin line because one mistake can be fatal. Perhaps it could be a case that his superiors may know about it and advised him along with the union (if he's a part of it) what can be allowed and what can't be. If of course the rules change then he would be forced to take down the content.
I don't doubt for a second that TfL have authorised it. He says multiple times that they have, and I have no reason not to believe him. I don't think he would do it otherwise - why would you risk your job in such a stupid way?

My issue is more with why TfL have authorised it.
 

Aaron_TTL

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2022
Messages
248
Location
Scotland
I imagine once someone higher up than whoever currently approved it finds out, the videos will abruptly stop. If they become popular you might start getting other drivers starting it and that just opens up a huge can of worms.
 

RPM

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2009
Messages
1,531
Location
Buckinghamshire
I don't doubt for a second that TfL have authorised it. He says multiple times that they have, and I have no reason not to believe him. I don't think he would do it otherwise - why would you risk your job in such a stupid way?

My issue is more with why TfL have authorised it.
As a general rule TfL, or at least the Underground part of it, has tended to be more relaxed about what goes on in cabs than is the case on most TOCs. I remember being very surprised to find out a decade or so ago that LU drivers could apply to have family/friends join them for a cab ride. I don't know if this is still the case, but even back then it was absolutely impossible to arrange the same thing at my TOC.
 

Lost property

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jun 2016
Messages
739
I tend to agree that management must know about it, and it is surprising. But the flip side of the coin is that he remains well focussed on the work-related task. What’s perhaps more surprising is that from a security point of view it is quite clearly showing people how to drive a train, not sure how wise that is nowadays - though I don’t think he has shown stuff like where to put keys or how to open up the cab.
That sounds, to me, like alarmist rubbish you see on a Mail / Express headline.

Surely there must be enough "how to" videos around, plus, anybody intent on doing so would probably do some research first. That, and assuming a Tube was stolen, surely it would be simply a case of isolating the power and, hey presto, Tube train stops !

However, I posed the same question about the incident at Preston and, unsurprisingly, never got a reply. So, I'll pose it again.

How many recorded incidents are there of trains being stolen ?....and, how far did they actually get ?
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,409
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
As a general rule TfL, or at least the Underground part of it, has tended to be more relaxed about what goes on in cabs than is the case on most TOCs. I remember being very surprised to find out a decade or so ago that LU drivers could apply to have family/friends join them for a cab ride. I don't know if this is still the case, but even back then it was absolutely impossible to arrange the same thing at my TOC.

I think this is one of those things that is a hangover from older times, and is something that will come to an end if and when it comes to higher notice through an incident occurring. Naturally the chances of that happening are fairly low (simply on the probability of the number of train miles run versus the number of train miles carried out with someone extra in the cab), therefore status quo prevails.

LU managed to get through the 90s and 00s without having incidents such as Southall and Ladbroke Grove, hence managed to avoid the general tightening up on driver standards that the mainline had.

That said, it isn’t the case that anyone can just rock up and get into a LU cab. Things are one rung up the ladder less tight than mainline, but that’s all.
 
Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,481
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
That makes sense to a point - albeit I’d personally rather this was left to peoples’ discretion. There’s never an obligation to take someone into the cab with you, but it can be a refreshing change at times!
Perhaps - but individuals' discretion on safety issues does not have a great record. However, the historical converse of that is that I am old enough to remember being not only allowed into cabs on LU with various Area Managers, but sometimes being given a 'go' (very briefly) - I held no driving credentials whatsoever (this was the 1980s)! One especially memorable cab ride was Central Line EB from Stratford on 1962 stock when there was a known track issue causing trains to bounce and sometimes audibly scrape the tunnel mouth there - it did!
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
However, the historical converse of that is that I am old enough to remember being not only allowed into cabs on LU with various Area Managers, but sometimes being given a 'go' (very briefly) - I held no driving credentials whatsoever (this was the 1980s)! One especially memorable cab ride was Central Line EB from Stratford on 1962 stock when there was a known track issue causing trains to bounce and sometimes audibly scrape the tunnel mouth there - it did!

Blimey - those were the days! :D
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
Whether Dale is right or wrong about filming, I enjoy watching them:D. IMO he does seem to make safety his top priority. At the end of the day, there's only so much some one can film on the Piccadilly line.
 

renegademaster

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2023
Messages
2,218
Location
Croydon
When was the last major incident caused by someone distracted by in cab conversation? The only i can think of, and fairly recent and minor, the shunting incident with Flying Scotsman
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,886
When was the last major incident caused by someone distracted by in cab conversation? The only i can think of, and fairly recent and minor, the shunting incident with Flying Scotsman
There have been a number of SPADs, fail to calls, TPWS activations, over speed and more incidents over the years which have at least partly been attributed to more than one person in a cab causing a distraction.
 

Edsmith

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2021
Messages
669
Location
Staplehurst
I can't see any problem with it, Dale is obviously not fiddling with the camera whilst driving and the chat is surely no different to talking to a colleague who was in the cab?
 

renegademaster

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2023
Messages
2,218
Location
Croydon
What sort of risk assessments (if any) did you carry out? What experience or past incidents did you draw upon?
Go do a FOI to TfL if you are so desperate to know this. They have signed off on it, not randos on here.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There have been a number of SPADs, fail to calls, TPWS activations, over speed and more incidents over the years which have at least partly been attributed to more than one person in a cab causing a distraction.
Has there been any that have made it into RAIB reports? Not doing this for argument sake but genuinely interested to see what their line offically is and what they find acceptable and unacceptable.
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
I have seen some of his videos. Found them interesting.

I did see one where he was answering some questions before driving, one of them was "are you allowed to do this", and he said he was allowed to, had management support, and that it would be quite daft to do it without permission given he's showing his face.


My workplace has a (car) driving policy that says we should NOT hold conversations with passengers due to the distraction risk. Which is quite ridiculous.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top