• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TT-ONR-NRN critiques... (note: contains large images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I got it for £16 actually. I don’t care about the waste of money because it was only sixteen pounds. I care that they tried to con me.

Do you have proof of what was actually advertised? If so I would write a formal complaint to GTR about it, if that fails I would escalate that further.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Do you have proof of what was actually advertised? If so I would write a formal complaint to GTR about it, if that fails I would escalate that further.
I’m certainly thinking about it!
Btw the reason I said thirty pounds was because I think £32 is adult fare.
 

ooo

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2015
Messages
707
Location
S
Great. So you actually have to be flying to go to this premium lounge. Never did the Gatwick Express website or staff member on the phone tell me that. Never
They probably wouldn't expect people to take the Gatwick Express if you're not flying.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
Agreed, they probably expected you to be actually flying from the airport rather than someone trying out the fresh air carrier.
 

Dhassell

Member
Joined
22 Mar 2015
Messages
1,011
Nothing really else at Gatwick other than the airport! Infact saying that, Gatwick isn't even a town! Just the airport!
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Agreed, they probably expected you to be actually flying from the airport rather than someone trying out the fresh air carrier.
I’m sorry. I don’t know what that means.

Nothing really else at Gatwick other than the airport! Infact saying that, Gatwick isn't even a town! Just the airport!
And a very good station for Electrostar and DesiroCity bashing. ;)
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I wasn’t offended. It takes a lot to offend me believe it or not. It just wound me up slightly.

But what an insult to say “watch your wallets”! That’s horrible! I like Scouse accents, always did.

I do find accents interesting. I’d like to think I’m pretty good at accents, I’m on Grade 5 LAMDA and they play a key role. English RP and American are easiest.

:)

Anyway moving on. On Friday I hope to sample VTEC’s breakfast service and Rest of Day service on return. I have already accepted I obviously won’t be able to get this done on my usual weekend London to Stevenage ticket. But say I book a ticket for the 1008 to Newark between Kings X and Peterborough and then one for the first returning service, do I have a chance of getting breakfast on the way and the Rest of the Day Hot option on return? Any advice appreciated :)
Yeah am sure you weren't offended, just grates sometimes I think when you get the same jokes all the time and people think they are hilarious doesn't it. Especially with the "thieving scouser" stuff. I've been burgled once in my life, they were from Bradford. Ha ha. "Watch your wallets" is water off a ducks back. Ha ha. On the other side of it if someone takes the mick well I love it. Look up Brendan Burns from Australia (Oddly after me being mistaken for an Australian around the world he does a really good scouse accent in parts). He does a sketch where he rips Scousers, I love it despite being Scouse, look it up on Youtube. I love accents and languages to mate. Every country I go to I try and learn a few phrases at the very least and also how to pronounce them properly.

Sorry, back to the railways and your reviews. My laptop was being a nightmare when I last replied. Your Gatwick Express experience was awful. Bad that they gave you the impression you could use the airport lounge without flying. The regular First Class lounge was shocking! The First Class on the train looked like getting second class in to Liverpool on London North Western from South Parkway. Didn't look like a premium experience.

Watched a program last night that you may have been interested in and possibly insanely jealous of (I was). It was about Singapore Airlines and featured an English lad who was about 20 who does vlogs and already got invited on to the first flight of their new premium product. Such a young age but already flying around the world reviewing high end products. He got to travel in the new suites on their A380. Oddly enough the premium suites were built in Cwmbran in the UK.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Yeah am sure you weren't offended, just grates sometimes I think when you get the same jokes all the time and people think they are hilarious doesn't it. Especially with the "thieving scouser" stuff. I've been burgled once in my life, they were from Bradford. Ha ha. "Watch your wallets" is water off a ducks back. Ha ha. On the other side of it if someone takes the mick well I love it. Look up Brendan Burns from Australia (Oddly after me being mistaken for an Australian around the world he does a really good scouse accent in parts). He does a sketch where he rips Scousers, I love it despite being Scouse, look it up on Youtube. I love accents and languages to mate. Every country I go to I try and learn a few phrases at the very least and also how to pronounce them properly.

Sorry, back to the railways and your reviews. My laptop was being a nightmare when I last replied. Your Gatwick Express experience was awful. Bad that they gave you the impression you could use the airport lounge without flying. The regular First Class lounge was shocking! The First Class on the train looked like getting second class in to Liverpool on London North Western from South Parkway. Didn't look like a premium experience.

Watched a program last night that you may have been interested in and possibly insanely jealous of (I was). It was about Singapore Airlines and featured an English lad who was about 20 who does vlogs and already got invited on to the first flight of their new premium product. Such a young age but already flying around the world reviewing high end products. He got to travel in the new suites on their A380. Oddly enough the premium suites were built in Cwmbran in the UK.
Never tried the new suites sadly :( but the original ones on the A380s are good. I refuse to use the shower though, no way am I stripping on an aeroplane. Which vlogger?
 

87electric

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
1,243
The Gatwick ticket fiasco has been well documented in the ticketing dispute section over the years and made for infuriating but actually enjoyable reading for me. I certainly got creative on my ticketing when bashing the 387/2 fleet in.
I would have thought your alarm bells would have rung when you was told that you could view the runway.
At least your report exposed what 1st Class is on the dedicated airport units.
I enjoyed your report :D
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
The Gatwick ticket fiasco has been well documented in the ticketing dispute section over the years and made for infuriating but actually enjoyable reading for me. I certainly got creative on my ticketing when bashing the 387/2 fleet in.
I would have thought your alarm bells would have rung when you was told that you could view the runway.
At least your report exposed what 1st Class is on the dedicated airport units.
I enjoyed your report :D
Thank you haha. :)
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Sorry, back to the railways and your reviews. My laptop was being a nightmare when I last replied. Your Gatwick Express experience was awful. Bad that they gave you the impression you could use the airport lounge without flying. The regular First Class lounge was shocking! The First Class on the train looked like getting second class in to Liverpool on London North Western from South Parkway. Didn't look like a premium experience.

At least on most of GTR's units First Class is the same as Standard, unlike on 350/1s and /3s where it is notably *worse*. TBH I'd prefer Standard even in a 350/2 provided it wasn't busy (i.e. empty middle seat or 2 to myself on the 2 side), the legroom is much, much better than First. Indeed the legroom in the bays of 6 in the /2s is really very good.
 

Andrewh32

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2017
Messages
87
I wasn’t offended. It takes a lot to offend me believe it or not. It just wound me up slightly.

But what an insult to say “watch your wallets”! That’s horrible! I like Scouse accents, always did.

I do find accents interesting. I’d like to think I’m pretty good at accents, I’m on Grade 5 LAMDA and they play a key role. English RP and American are easiest.

:)

Anyway moving on. On Friday I hope to sample VTEC’s breakfast service and Rest of Day service on return. I have already accepted I obviously won’t be able to get this done on my usual weekend London to Stevenage ticket. But say I book a ticket for the 1008 to Newark between Kings X and Peterborough and then one for the first returning service, do I have a chance of getting breakfast on the way and the Rest of the Day Hot option on return? Any advice appreciated :)

On the VTEC website it suggests for a journey of 70 mins or less you only get a reduced offer effectively a drink plus biscuits or crisps, Kings cross to Peterborough is less than 70 mins so in theory it's a no to the full offer.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Newcastle to York usually has the reduced catering offer, and that journey is roughly the same duration as London to Peterborough
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
On the VTEC website it suggests for a journey of 70 mins or less you only get a reduced offer effectively a drink plus biscuits or crisps, Kings cross to Peterborough is less than 70 mins so in theory it's a no to the full offer.
Yes but it says online that is the case on weekends too, and I’ve had the full weekend offer four times before between Kings Cross and Stevenage! Although thank you for your response :)
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Newcastle to York usually has the reduced catering offer, and that journey is roughly the same duration as London to Peterborough
Oh. I see, thanks.
Although they usually take breakfast orders immediately on departure from Kings X I’ve heard.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,823
Location
Central Belt
It depends on the crew to be honest, but officially on short journeys you should get nothing. That is why i am amazed they the poster gets anything travelling south from Stevenage. My experience is the crew start packing up at Huntingdon never to be see again.

I have go offered the full breakfast joining the train at Stevenage to leave at Peterborough which i declined as I didnt want 2 breakfasts. (Would have kicked myself if the train north didn’t have anything left)

My worse experience was going South. I was booked on the 1030 ex Edinburgh, the previous 2 trains were cancelled to it was full and standing in first. (Including me as someone took my reserved seat and wouldn’t move as they had a reservation on that seat on the 0930). No catering offered because of the overcrowded train.

I left at Newcastle to get a seat on the 1225. The crew refused to serve anything as the journey was short. Mentioned the problems going South to which the response was “that isnt my problem” to which I asked if I could quote him on that in my complaint. He walked off.

I got a full refund on the journey and the line that the catering is on the crews discretion but in that case the should have provided some. However the crews must balance out large flows so they don’t run out before London. A lot had joined the train from the overcrowded one.

Which sums up VTEC (and east coast) catering for me. Expect nothing and be happy if it works. Breakfast is normally ok.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
You'd probably be safer if you book some advances to somewhere like Donny or Newark, if you want the food.
 

backontrack

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2014
Messages
6,399
Location
The UK
A word of warning: don't try Southeastern first class ;)

It's literally just an antimacassar and a slightly darker moquette.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
I’m sorry. I don’t know what that means.


And a very good station for Electrostar and DesiroCity bashing. ;)

Fresh Air Carrier = Gatwick Express services which start from Gatwick. Ones which extend to/from Brighton tend to be busier.

Easiest way to compare is standing at East Croydon when a 387 rolls past carrying around less than a dozen passengers before a regular Southern 377 rolls in full of passengers with luggage with Gatwick tags heading to Victoria, because those passengers are not foolish enough to pay the 'premium'.

Certainly like 87Electric, I got creative when hunting my 387/2s, mainly using those 2 evening Southern services which use 387s which call within the zones.
 
Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
It depends on the crew to be honest, but officially on short journeys you should get nothing. That is why i am amazed they the poster gets anything travelling south from Stevenage. My experience is the crew start packing up at Huntingdon never to be see again.

I have go offered the full breakfast joining the train at Stevenage to leave at Peterborough which i declined as I didnt want 2 breakfasts. (Would have kicked myself if the train north didn’t have anything left)

My worse experience was going South. I was booked on the 1030 ex Edinburgh, the previous 2 trains were cancelled to it was full and standing in first. (Including me as someone took my reserved seat and wouldn’t move as they had a reservation on that seat on the 0930). No catering offered because of the overcrowded train.

I left at Newcastle to get a seat on the 1225. The crew refused to serve anything as the journey was short. Mentioned the problems going South to which the response was “that isnt my problem” to which I asked if I could quote him on that in my complaint. He walked off.

I got a full refund on the journey and the line that the catering is on the crews discretion but in that case the should have provided some. However the crews must balance out large flows so they don’t run out before London. A lot had joined the train from the overcrowded one.

Which sums up VTEC (and east coast) catering for me. Expect nothing and be happy if it works. Breakfast is normally ok.
You'd probably be safer if you book some advances to somewhere like Donny or Newark, if you want the food.
Cool thanks. It’s not that I necessarily “want the food” as I’ll probably end up leaving it anyway... but I want to get a decent review of their weekday service.

A word of warning: don't try Southeastern first class ;)

It's literally just an antimacassar and a slightly darker moquette.
Ah. Well I have quite regularly. I have to be in the Trafalgar/Leicester Square area of London quite often, sometimes as much as four or five times per week. When I go first class from Guildford/Woking to London Terminals that includes the little but over the bridge :)

Fresh Air Carrier = Gatwick Express services which start from Gatwick. Ones which extend to/from Brighton tend to be busier.
Ah ok. Yes I did notice that!

Easiest way to compare is standing at East Croydon when a 387 rolls past carrying around less than a dozen passengers before a regular Southern 377 rolls in full of passengers with luggage with Gatwick tags heading to Victoria, because those passengers are not foolish enough to pay the 'premium'.
Yes, thanks for that :oops:
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
You know what. Scrap VTEC Breakfast service. Should everything go to plan (and this is not definite) then I should be able to cram in:

Stansted Express First Class from London Liverpool Street to Harlow Town - Class 379 Electrostar
(and hopefully the Liv St. Lounge)

Greater Anglia Class 317 First Class from Harlow Town to Audley End

CrossCountry Weekday Turbostar First Class (with catering) from Audley End to Cambridge

Great Northern First Class from Cambridge to Stevenage

and...

Virgin Trains East Coast Weekday First Class (under 70 mins) from Stevenage to London King’s Cross

This will cost me £21.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,823
Location
Central Belt
You know what. Scrap VTEC Breakfast service. Should everything go to plan (and this is not definite) then I should be able to cram in:

Stansted Express First Class from London Liverpool Street to Harlow Town - Class 379 Electrostar
(and hopefully the Liv St. Lounge)

Greater Anglia Class 317 First Class from Harlow Town to Audley End

CrossCountry Weekday Turbostar First Class (with catering) from Audley End to Cambridge

Great Northern First Class from Cambridge to Stevenage

and...

Virgin Trains East Coast Weekday First Class (under 70 mins) from Stevenage to London King’s Cross

This will cost me £21.

Seriously- check the timetable. If the Cambridge- Stevenage is 387 operated don’t waste your money. Go standard- they don’t have first class. It will be Gatwick express all over again. 365 operated services are nice.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Seriously- check the timetable. If the Cambridge- Stevenage is 387 operated don’t waste your money. Go standard- they don’t have first class. It will be Gatwick express all over again. 365 operated services are nice.
Yes but that bit is only a small part of the journey. If I get a Standard ticket I’ll have to put up with 2x2 seating between Liverpool Street and Stansted, between Stansted and Ely, between Ely and Cambridge and between Stevenage and London. Those services are all scheduled with 2x1 seating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top