Hi all
trying to trace my Great Uncle, what he did on the railways and when.
I only have detail up to 1911 census.
Possibly a bit sensitive.
Sydney James Ward. Lived at some point post WW1 at Leadgate,Consett.
I presume NER or LNER
Death Index on Ancestry
death registered 3rd qtr 1937 in Lanchester,County Durham
Name
ydney J Ward
Birth Date:abt 1896
Date of Registration
ep 1937 Age at Death: 41
Registration district: Lanchester Inferred County: Durham
Volume:10a Page: 238
All I know beyond this is he was apparently a strong union member (which union unknown), at some point had lost a leg, and the sensitive part, took his own life (it was illegal at that time) in a signal box. Family distant stories tell of a large turnout for his funeral, but possibly due to the nature of his death the records are scarce.
I've contacted the Ken Hoole Centre at Darlington and hope to visit soon.
I've traced his younger brother Fred to WW1 grave in France, he worked on the railway at Ampleforth before being called up to the army and died in 1917 Spring Offensive near Arras/Vimy Ridge.
Any help appreciated
trying to trace my Great Uncle, what he did on the railways and when.
I only have detail up to 1911 census.
Possibly a bit sensitive.
Sydney James Ward. Lived at some point post WW1 at Leadgate,Consett.
I presume NER or LNER
Death Index on Ancestry
death registered 3rd qtr 1937 in Lanchester,County Durham
Name
Birth Date:abt 1896
Date of Registration
Registration district: Lanchester Inferred County: Durham
Volume:10a Page: 238
All I know beyond this is he was apparently a strong union member (which union unknown), at some point had lost a leg, and the sensitive part, took his own life (it was illegal at that time) in a signal box. Family distant stories tell of a large turnout for his funeral, but possibly due to the nature of his death the records are scarce.
I've contacted the Ken Hoole Centre at Darlington and hope to visit soon.
I've traced his younger brother Fred to WW1 grave in France, he worked on the railway at Ampleforth before being called up to the army and died in 1917 Spring Offensive near Arras/Vimy Ridge.
Any help appreciated