• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Your least desirable station to wait at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
Though unlikely than you will be waiting 60 minutes.

A reminder that a massive Tesco with cafe is five minutes walk away.
I did, earlier this year, until I realised that trains on the Wrexham line had been cancelled for the rest of the day. And I did find a retail park (not sure if it had a Tesco) after a fairly pleasant but meandering walk through a nature reserve. Not something I'd want to do on a dark winter's evening.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Either Crewe or Preston would be no problem IMO.

A few people around even late at night.

The bar on platform 6 at Crewe might still be open; not sure about Preston's amenities.

Preston feels safe enough but gets utterly freezing. It's quite atmospheric, though, I miss the announcer from the late 90s who used to sing the announcements. She had a lovely voice that really added to it.
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,797
A shout for the "larger" stations where pax facilities are, well, limited, such as Salford Crescent and Deansgate. While both have disabled toilets, which might even be working and open, there's not much else, no waiting room as such, and to keep out of the cold wind/rain you have just the overbridge or tunnel. Neither are a particular pleasant place to wait long, at least Deansgate has a couple of pubs below, no such luck at Crescent!
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,571
Location
Lichfield
Lovely in summer, though, provided you've got your own snacks.

On that note, I visited in about 2010, two people, who I assume were locals, jumped down off the Aberystwyth platform, picked a bag full of apples off of a tree near the track, climbed back up onto the platform, offered me a couple of apples out of the bag and left!

Strange experience.
 

Llandudno

Established Member
Joined
25 Dec 2014
Messages
2,754
Location
Matlock
I think the pub at Crewe closes early, I've been there around 9pm a few times and it's never been open at that time.
I doubt whether the soulless cafe/bar in Crewe station can be be described as a pub, then again I doubt the ‘pubs’ near Crewe station are any better…

Some good ones in Crewe town centre mind you but at least 15 minutes walk away and it’s uphill getting back to the station!
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Wakefield Kirkgate.
Assuming from the OP's question that it's a cold wet evening, so the café definitely won't be open. Supposedly the Wakefield Arms is being redeveloped but for now it's still derelict, there's a rough estate nearby and even the Snooty Fox, rough as it was, is closed down. You're at the scratty end of Wakefield (which is saying a lot) and have to cross six lanes of traffic to get to the city centre anyway.

At least the roof of the station building no longer leaks, I suppose!
 

JD2168

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2022
Messages
1,735
Location
Sheffield
Quite a number of Hope Valley line stations look very bleak at night with poor lighting, hopefully a nice pub is nearby

Worksop Station looks not bad but the area it is in is pretty bleak in the daytime & looks rather uninviting for waiting in the dark or late at night
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,571
Location
Lichfield
I doubt whether the soulless cafe/bar in Crewe station can be be described as a pub, then again I doubt the ‘pubs’ near Crewe station are any better…

You're right, it's just another soulless SSP outlet.

Whenever I have any time to wait at Crewe I'll head to the McDonalds about 5 minutes from the stations, it's usually warmer and the coffee is cheaper than anywhere still open on the station.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,571
Location
Lichfield
Quite a number of Hope Valley line stations look very bleak at night with poor lighting, hopefully a nice pub is nearby

This comment makes me want to spend some time exploring the Hope Valley line soon, I can already imagine the atmosphere at the likes of Hope and Bamford on a winters night!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,733
Location
West Riding
A shout for the "larger" stations where pax facilities are, well, limited, such as Salford Crescent and Deansgate. While both have disabled toilets, which might even be working and open, there's not much else, no waiting room as such, and to keep out of the cold wind/rain you have just the overbridge or tunnel. Neither are a particular pleasant place to wait long, at least Deansgate has a couple of pubs below, no such luck at Crescent!
Warrington Central fits into this category too.

Wakefield Kirkgate.
Assuming from the OP's question that it's a cold wet evening, so the café definitely won't be open. Supposedly the Wakefield Arms is being redeveloped but for now it's still derelict, there's a rough estate nearby and even the Snooty Fox, rough as it was, is closed down. You're at the scratty end of Wakefield (which is saying a lot) and have to cross six lanes of traffic to get to the city centre anyway.

At least the roof of the station building no longer leaks, I suppose!

It's a lot better since the arrival of the TP services, at least there's enough normal people about now for it to feel safe all of the time. During the day it's actually fairly pleasant and the cafe in particular is nice. It absolutely would have been top of the list for this thread in the early 2000's but I don't think it justifies a mention anymore, there are many much worse station to wait at.
 

BeijingDave

Member
Joined
26 Jul 2019
Messages
804
Warrington Central fits into this category too.
Warrington Central does at least have a proper pub across the road from the entrance, though. It's actually a good atmosphere on match day.

Both the Kings Head across the road from Central and the Patten Arms across the road from BQ are 'acceptable' (though don't expect any award-winning niche IPA or such) when waiting for a train - mostly just full of miserable auld wans.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,470
Location
Somerset
Dalmarnock didn’t exactly endear itself to me during a 10 minute wait - I think an hour in the cold on a dreich winter’s afternoon would be an experience not to be repeated.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
Purely on statistics, going from the BTPs 2024 data the 3 most dangerous stations to wait at were Charing, Tiverton Parkway and Shipley.

These were ones with 100K+ passengers and/or 100+ incidents, as otherwise the data was skewed - the "most dangerous" station was Johnston in Pembrokeshire with 10 incidents but only 7K passengers

Charing !!

Shipley !!!
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
Purely on statistics, going from the BTPs 2024 data the 3 most dangerous stations to wait at were Charing, Tiverton Parkway and Shipley.

Shipley !!!
Because of the layout of the station there's quite a bit of anti-social behaviour at Shipley. It's not somewhere I like to hang around after dark.

So I don't, I go and wait in The Fox on Briggate which, helpfully, has one of those departure boards next to the bar.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
Ellesmere Port or Overpool, both dumps full of the local clientele trying to trash the place.
Overpool isn't that bad, and there's the Wetherspoons (admittedly quite a weird one) over the road.

Anyway, I'd nominate either Bristol Parkway or Worcestershire Parkway. Both stations are in the middle of nowhere and have few facilities. And they're always bloody cold.
 

stadler

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2023
Messages
3,304
Location
Horsley
Newhaven Harbour deserves a mention. It has a rather grotty feel to it. It is down the end of a road surrounded by derelict abandoned houses and an industrial estate and bus depot. It is not the most inviting place to wait.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I never had Tiverton down as dangerous either!

Yeah, I know (actually, Tiverton Parkway is the "what?" one for me, I can believe Shipley)

Here's the top 10 as reported in Time Out, but I can't now find the original dataset on the BTP website (it used to be there...)

Crime Ridden Stations

To be fair, I've never visited Tiverton Parkway, so I can't comment on it.

Shipley's never struck me as being too bad though. I'll bear the Fox in mind if I need to wait there.

I really don't get Charing though.
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,728
To be fair, I've never visited Tiverton Parkway, so I can't comment on it.

Shipley's never struck me as being too bad though. I'll bear the Fox in mind if I need to wait there.

I really don't get Charing though.
To be fair they might have meant Tiverton Junction; that really would be a horrible station to wait at!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top