• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Worst stations for anti social behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
(Although sometimes late afternoon can be unpleasant owing to some school kids going home, not sure how many of them have tickets either, especially when they are only travelling a couple of stations along the line.)

In most of my patch, a very high proportion of them have seasons or valid Oysters (some even have smartcards now! Never had that when I was at school :lol: ), but that doesn't stop them from misbehaving, interfering with dispatch, hiding in First Class, you name it. If you build up a rapport, which with some effort is possible even as a member of rail staff who is only on shift to see the same kids once in a blue moon, it does help, but few people bother.

On the other hand, I do bother because some of them are absolutely lovely. There's one line where I'll go through three or four school runs in fairly quick succession, and only one of them ever really causes any serious trouble. Again, that is possibly one of the places which gives a level of bad behaviour that you wouldn't initially expect, being an up-and-coming private school...
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
Any station on the Robin Hood line. Spalding, Sleaford, Heckington, Boston and even Wainfleet seem to attract groups of "Ner do wells" in the evenings as well.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,432
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
What do you think are the worst stations in the UK for anti social behaviour? For example lots of chavs and yobs hanging around / lots of vandalism / lots of crimes / etc?

One to add to the list - James Cook.

For a new station, I was surprised how all-round unpleasant this one is. It's difficult to reach by road - you have the choice of parking in the hospital car park on the up side or a dodgy estate on the down side. The station is reached along a footpath which doesn't have a particularly nice atmosphere, and the platform is reached via a path off this footpath. Quite a few undesirable types hanging around, plus evidence of drug use on the station platform and under the footbridge. One supposes the station was built to serve a specific purpose which to be fair it achieves, but all-in-all this is a pretty unpleasant station.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Is Widnes really that bad? I'm not doubting you, its on the route I frequently use and it never "appeared" to be bad (Maybe that is my answer, Ha ha.) :D

That may be down to the infamous so called rail enthusiast from Widnes who reportedly attacked rail staff with his camera tripod. He also reportedly gave Pacers names as he thought it would impress a female guard.
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
That may be down to the infamous so called rail enthusiast from Widnes who reportedly attacked rail staff with his camera tripod. He also reportedly gave Pacers names as he thought it would impress a female guard.

Yeah,sounds a bit of a crank to be honest. Doesn't take many to make a place uninviting. Ha ha.
 

SeanG

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2013
Messages
1,378
I remember growing up that Hag Fold always had bullet holes/marks on the running in boards...
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I remember growing up that Hag Fold always had bullet holes/marks on the running in boards...


I think that's a great name for a station, must be something about that area, as I think there are a couple of others with unusual names, Hall in the Wood and Besses of the Barn, or similar.
 

bearhugger

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
689
Location
Middlesbrough
One to add to the list - James Cook.

For a new station, I was surprised how all-round unpleasant this one is. It's difficult to reach by road - you have the choice of parking in the hospital car park on the up side or a dodgy estate on the down side. The station is reached along a footpath which doesn't have a particularly nice atmosphere, and the platform is reached via a path off this footpath. Quite a few undesirable types hanging around, plus evidence of drug use on the station platform and under the footbridge. One supposes the station was built to serve a specific purpose which to be fair it achieves, but all-in-all this is a pretty unpleasant station.

I am one of the undesirable types from the dodgy estate who uses this station at least twice a week since it was built and i've never seen evidence of drug use, especially as i was a level 2 station adoptee for this station until fairly recently.
 

iknowyeah

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2016
Messages
185
Just noticed tonight, Hattersley has wire mesh protecting the lights, presumably from projectiles
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
Just noticed tonight, Hattersley has wire mesh protecting the lights, presumably from projectiles

Mesh wire on lights or windows are really ugly. It gives the sense that anything could be broken because of drunken yobs, object abuse, etc..
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
Bridgeton
Glasgow Central
Ibrox (Subway)

Further to that list - Coatbridge Central, Dalmarnock & Yoker.

Wouldn't want to have to use any of them after the sun went down. That said, Dalmarnock has undoubtedly improved since it's refurbishment 3 years ago, but it's still a station I'd be wary of using after dark.
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Further to that list - Coatbridge Central, Dalmarnock & Yoker.

Wouldn't want to have to use any of them after the sun went down. That said, Dalmarnock has undoubtedly improved since it's refurbishment 3 years ago, but it's still a station I'd be wary of using after dark.

Wonder how many times the public loos have been replaced?

No wonder Abellio have been fined over the state of a number of stations ;)

Furthermore to the list;

Airbles
Hamilton West

Atleast 4 times a year will the number of Buckfast bottles exceed passenger numbers at these two <D
 
Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Not wanting to sound pedantic, but they're:

Besses o'th' Barn & Hall i'th' Wood :)

I knew my spelling was not quite right, I could not remember exactly how they were spelt. (Maybe I should write them out correctly 100 times each) <D

Infact I am sure that I read of a policeman in Essex a few years ago, making a yob write out an imposition of 1000 Lines for some type of anti social behavior, it was done with the permission of his parents and school. I did also read in the Daily Telegraph about a policeman who saw a youth doing graffiti on a wall and he was in a position to give him a scrubbing brush and bucket of water & made him clean it up.
 
Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,824
Ellesmere Port, Overpool, Little Sutton...

I disagree with you totally about Little Sutton, my local station. It is looked after by a Friends group, wins "Best kept unstaffed station" awards and its murals and flower beds have seldom, if ever, been vandalized.
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Apparently Blaenau Ffestiniog Station (Arriva Trains Wales / Ffestiniog Railway has been giving BTP concern. Here is a link to a newspaper report from last year: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/blaenau-ffestiniog-barbecue-railway-track--9653458

here is an earlier report:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/ffestiniog-railway-fighting-losing-battle-2945766

BFfest Police have clamped down HARD lately and things do appear to be improving.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,432
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I disagree with you totally about Little Sutton, my local station. It is looked after by a Friends group, wins "Best kept unstaffed station" awards and its murals and flower beds have seldom, if ever, been vandalized.

Must admit I've always found Little Sutton okay. Overpool is another matter entirely though!
 

kevconnor

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2013
Messages
641
Location
People's Republic of Mancunia
I knew my spelling was not quite right, I could not remember exactly how they were spelt. (Maybe I should write them out correctly 100 times each) <D

Infact I am sure that I read of a policeman in Essex a few years ago, making a yob write out an imposition of 1000 Lines for some type of anti social behavior, it was done with the permission of his parents and school. I did also read in the Daily Telegraph about a policeman who saw a youth doing graffiti on a wall and he was in a position to give him a scrubbing brush and bucket of water & made him clean it up.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
 
Last edited:

janahan

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2014
Messages
135
Eh? In all of the years that I've been using Waterloo I've never encounter any anti social behaviour of any kind. Staines however is a different kettle of fish and Feltham is little better.

I have to disagree slightly on Feltham, a town which seems to have a issue with its perception not matching its reality. Having moved from Harrow to Feltham 7 years ago I too had the perception of a rough town and station, however, was pleasantly surprised. Its a fairy clean well kept station, with many commputers and well lit entrances and exits, and compared to some of the stations in Harrow (including the before mentioned Harrow & Wealdstone, my previous local station, and Harrow on the Hill) it seems a lot more quieter.

I have seen far worse scenes in Richmond, Twickenham, Putney & Clapham Junction.

Not too sure about Staines, as I never have experienced that station.
 

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
Lewisham
Bat & Ball (surprising given its proximity to Sevenoaks)
Plumstead
Most of the Catford Loop Line stations at various times, general presence of wannabe-gangster types.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top