• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: What are the sharpest curves on Network Rail routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

317663

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Messages
98
Location
Weymouth
I'm talking about sharp turns/corners.
The sharpest curve I know of from my own journeys is just outside Battersea, where the Freight usually stands, has no 3rd rail.

I'm guessing the sharpest curves are not 3rd rail. If this is right can someone tell me why this is?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BantamMenace

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
573
The sharpest I can think of is the climb and turn heading north out of Carnforth over the wcml towards Hellifield, 10mph and a serious screech from the wheels
 

civ-eng-jim

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
406
Location
UK
Caxton Curve on London Underground's Central line has a 60m radius. 3rd and 4th rail.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Syston North to East must be a small radius too.

140metres.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm guessing the sharpest curves are not 3rd rail. If this is right can someone tell me why this is?

The collector shoe is near the bogie centre so the tight radius is unlikely to result in the shoe deviating horizontally from the third rail.
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
I honestly cannot see the presence of a third rail being relevant. If a running rail can be bent into a particular curve radius, that allows a bogie to pass, then so can a third rail. Because the pick up shoe only rests under its own weight on the top, the mechanical issues associated with third rail current collection will always be less of a problem than the tightness of the curve on the running rails, and in any case they would almost always be able to put the third rail on the outside of the bend, so it would always have a greater radius than the running rails.
 

civ-eng-jim

Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
406
Location
UK
One issue with a tightly curved third rail is the way it's supported - Sitting on ceramic insulated pots provides very little (if any) restraint. Third rail would have to be pre-curved.
 

rebmcr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
4,005
Location
St Neots
There are no RailTrack curves anymore, they are all Network Rail now.
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
I was reading an article about the Morpeth crashes which seemed to suggest the Morpeth curve was one of the tightest
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
I was reading an article about the Morpeth crashes which seemed to suggest the Morpeth curve was one of the tightest

Maybe in terms of a main line away from a major station, but no way in absolute terms.

Shipley Bingley jn to Bradford jn (aka platform 5) must be hard to beat. 5 mph IIRC , possibly 10.
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
I'm talking about sharp turns/corners.
The sharpest curve I know of from my own journeys is just outside Battersea, where the Freight usually stands, has no 3rd rail.

I'm guessing the sharpest curves are not 3rd rail. If this is right can someone tell me why this is?

You definitely mean "3rd rail" as in raised DC power rail rather than "check rail" - additional safety rail on curves and point work? Sorry if I'm questioning the obvious.
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,138
Location
Derby
Another one might be the Lifford curve from West to East junctions at Kings Norton.
 

317663

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2013
Messages
98
Location
Weymouth
You definitely mean "3rd rail" as in raised DC power rail rather than "check rail" - additional safety rail on curves and point work? Sorry if I'm questioning the obvious.

Curves that have 3rd rail systems (eg Blackfriars, Selhurst, Sutton, Three Bridges are examples of tight curves with 3rd rail involved. I'm guessing theres tighter curves that 3rd rail may not work well/have many faults with.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What about this at Firsby, Lincolnshire
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
e: also this thread
I think i've seen tighter ones than that but that sure is some sharp one!
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,646
Location
Rochdale
The Brewery Junction Curve that allows trains from Newton Heath to gain access to the Ashton line is one of sharpest I know. Coupled sets have been known to end up becoming split here.

Also the curves at Dinting are pretty sharp too!
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
The classic (and sharpest ever used in the UK) was on the long-defunct Cromford and High Peak line in Derbyshire (closed 1967), which also had the steepest adhesion-worked gradient in the UK at 1 in 14. The curve was known as Gotham Curve, had a radius of 55 yards and turned through 80 degrees.

There, that dates me (and I still haven't actually answered the question)!
 
Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Exeter St. David's to Exeter Central causes a fair bit of screech too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top