• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: The worst/most confusing stations to change trains at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
Shotton is an awkward one, really two separate stations linked by a long path. Quite complicated if changing from a train from North Wales for a train towards Wrexham.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2022
Messages
1,735
Location
Sheffield
Birmingham New Street for me is the worst, I find it confusing & awkward at times plus the darkness where the platforms are does not help as well.
 

Falcon1200

Established Member
Joined
14 Jun 2021
Messages
6,611
Location
Neilston, East Renfrewshire
It took me a while to work out how to change at Birmingham New St without having to pass through barriers, this is something that should have been signposted far better from Day One of the revised station layout; Although, to be fair, are there not now announcements directing passengers to the B end stairs/escalators? And the actual platform layout/ numbering could not really be any more logical.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Further to the confusion at Birmingham New Street was that I once arrived by bus after meeting a friend in the suburbs. Having been assured by the bus driver that it was the correct stop for New Street station I got off the bus but I could not find the entrance to the station. I could hear the trains but in front of me was a shopping arcade. I had to ask someone who he directed to me to an unmarked descending escalator. At the bottom of the escalator was the station entrance.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,710
Location
Hope Valley
Further to the confusion at Birmingham New Street was that I once arrived by bus after meeting a friend in the suburbs. Having been assured by the bus driver that it was the correct stop for New Street station I got off the bus but I could not find the entrance to the station. I could hear the trains but in front of me was a shopping arcade. I had to ask someone who he directed to me to an unmarked descending escalator. At the bottom of the escalator was the station entrance.
That was presumably before the rebuilding, when much of the access was via the Palisades Shopping Centre and down the escalator?

(It’s changed a bit since then. Much easier to enter or leave the station from a range of directions.)
 

swaldman

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
461
I agree that Edinburgh Waverley is very confusing, as it has been totally remodelled since I was a student in Edinburgh in the Stone Age 1980s.
Waverley is a great example of a pet peeve: Things that look very sensible on the plan, but make no sense at all to a user on the ground.

Doncaster gets a special mention from me for its really poor signposting of Platform 0.
 

Pep and co

Member
Joined
17 May 2019
Messages
334
Birmingham New Street if you don't use it regularly. (My brother phoned me once asking where 4C was!!)
Leeds can be an issue with platform A's, B's and C's and not brilliantly sign posted.
London Bridge to the Underground station is my personal room 101 when travelling in the capital
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,169
Location
Wilmslow
London Bridge to the Underground station is my personal room 101 when travelling in the capital
You're right, I'd forgotten about this, I've been there once since it was re-done and it was hopeless, probably OK for a regular traveller but I got lost.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
Birmingham New Street if you don't use it regularly. (My brother phoned me once asking where 4C was!!)
Leeds can be an issue with platform A's, B's and C's and not brilliantly sign posted.
London Bridge to the Underground station is my personal room 101 when travelling in the capital
At Leeds the signposting to the low numbered bays is rubbish. I struggled to find 3 and missed a train. needs a big number at the head of each platform at the cross platform.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,332
There was another discussion on here a while ago where I was chastised for saying that South Eastern etc to Underground was an unnecessary route march now compared to pre-rebuilding, when it was straightforward. But it is.

There are a range of different issues here.

Difficult for a new user to understand what is where, especially platform numbering (Stratford)
Annoying for an established user to understand where the next train is (Canning Town)
Incomprehensible walking routes (Birmingham New Street, Kings Cross Underground, even the new Tottenham Court Road changing onto the Elizabeth)
Same name for different stations which are not actually interchanges (Canary Wharf)
 

swaldman

Member
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
461
There was another discussion on here a while ago where I was chastised for saying that South Eastern etc to Underground was an unnecessary route march now compared to pre-rebuilding, when it was straightforward. But it is.

There are a range of different issues here.

Difficult for a new user to understand what is where, especially platform numbering (Stratford)
Annoying for an established user to understand where the next train is (Canning Town)
Incomprehensible walking routes (Birmingham New Street, Kings Cross Underground, even the new Tottenham Court Road changing onto the Elizabeth)
Same name for different stations which are not actually interchanges (Canary Wharf)
Canning Town gets special mention even for relatively experienced users who are thinking in directions rather than destinations.... because it's shown on the map as being aligned east-west, yet a train to the east on the DLR and a train to the east on the Jubilee line depart in opposite directions!
 

MisterSheeps

Member
Joined
12 Jun 2022
Messages
316
Location
Kendal, England
Manchester Piccadilly to/fro/on platforms 13 & 14. Salford Crescent. I find Leeds unpleasant if necessary to wait an hour or so. Newcastle can be confusing finding the far platforms. Euston for not releasing the platform number until a too short time before.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
London Bridge to the Underground station is my personal room 101 when travelling in the capital
Simple since the rebuilding was completed.- Arriving off a train from Charing Cross or from the suburbs down the escalator, through the ticket barrier opposite and walk along the long subway opposite which is clearly marked "Underground".
 

matacaster

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
1,646
Location
Huddersfield
New Street. Recently came from international arriva Wales? Needed to get cross-country train. Information displays said catch front four coaches (of 6). This was fine except it wasn't clear in which direction the train was going to leave and it was actually only 4 coach trai. Anyway. Driver very helpful said it was always happening.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,332
Simple since the rebuilding was completed.- Arriving off a train from Charing Cross or from the suburbs down the escalator, through the ticket barrier opposite and walk along the long subway opposite which is clearly marked "Underground".
Well it may be "clearly marked", but it's about three times as complex and indirect as it was before.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Birmingham New Street for me, I find it quite disorientating accidentally coming up the A end escalators into the lounges and trying to get my bearings on direction.

St Pancras can be another. It is a fair walk from Kings Cross St Pancras tube station to the Thameslink platforms, and not very enjoyable if you’re in a rush.

Stratford has caught me out before, I think I went to either 10 or 10a when I wanted the other platform - not very customer friendly when a and b is usually attributed to the same platform face!

Cardiff Central may also be a bit annoying for anyone regularly changing there for trains that depart Platform 0. The same at Shrewsbury with Platform 3. Many times I’ve been on a full platform when there is a last minute platform alteration which creates a stampede of people (and their luggage) back down the stairs and through the barriers!
 

jackot

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2021
Messages
343
Location
Surrey
I don't know if the ongoing upgrades have fixed this, but I have always found Gatwick a real pain, with not all platforms being available from top concourse.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,840
Location
Clydebank
Perhaps it's because I'm far from a regular user, but Edinburgh Waverley is one that's left me feeling more than a bit lost whenever I've tried navigating it. Glasgow Central High Level is infinitely better in this respect.

However, for those unfamilar with it, changing trains at Glasgow Central, specifically between the Low & High Levels, can no doubt be a bit confusing.
 

Andyh82

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2014
Messages
4,608
Stratford - whenever I visit I always end up touching my Oyster card and/or going through more barrier lines than is strictly necessary and then worrying I’ll end up with an incomplete journey. Particularly when a journey involves the DLR and their free standing oyster readers

Edinburgh Waverley is confusing as the clockwise layout can not easily be seen whilst you are in the station due to some platforms being the other side of the central building and some being outside the main shed
 

WizCastro197

Established Member
Joined
12 May 2022
Messages
1,468
Location
Reigate
I don't know if the ongoing upgrades have fixed this, but I have always found Gatwick a real pain, with not all platforms being available from top concourse.
Ha you've beat me!

Gatwick has always been a pain and continues to, as you've said not all platforms available from all platforms as wells the added stress of overcrowding on narrow platforms, the always busy Platform 4 making Victoria services practically unbearable and too busy.

Also with the added mood an darkness of the station it just generally makes it unlikeable to change. I would rather go north to East Croydon than Gatwick Airport.
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,072
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
Certainly not the worst, but I recall finding Wolverhampton a bit of a confusing faff to navigate.

The older footbridge - directly as you exit the concourse on Platform 1 - only serves Platforms 1, 2 and 3. So if you require the elusive Platform 4, you've got to walk all the way down Platform 1 to join the newer footbridge which just so happens to serve all platforms.

Caught me out the first time, especially as I hadn't realised there was a second footbridge.
 
Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
Certainly not the worst, but I recall finding Wolverhampton a bit of a confusing faff to navigate.

The older footbridge - directly as you edit the concourse on Platform 1 - only serves Platforms 1, 2 and 3. So if you require the elusive Platform 4, you've got to walk all the way down Platform 1 to join the newer footbridge which just so happens to serve all platforms.

Caught me out the first time, especially as I hadn't realised there was a second footbridge.
I hadn't realised that there was a new platform! Took me by surprise the last time I passed through.

Changing trains at Bradford is less than straightforward if you are not familiar with the route between stations. The little metal arrows set into the pavement are far from obvious.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Newcastle can be confusing for a couple of things:

-The ticket office and toilets, shoved right the way down the end of Platform 12. Ditto the rather nice craft beer shop which probably doesn't get as much passing trade as it otherwise would.

-Platform 12, purely because its outside the gateline and off to the side. That said, it isn't used all that often during the day.

-Platform 8, seeing as it's essentially just a very far away extension of 7. Not used anymore to the best of my knowledge as it would only fit a 142, though I have seen a Lumo advertised as departing from there before (predictably, it used 7, but the screens continued to insist on 8).
 

APT618S

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
510
Leeds can be an issue with platform A's, B's and C's and not brilliantly sign posted
Something I had never considered, having used the station 100s of times, but recently had someone ask me where platform 9 (I think it was 9) was when standing on the said platform -why? Well IIRC all the signs in sight said 9A or 9B or 9C or 9D and not 9 without any suffix ! So they thought p9 was somewhere else.
 

Acfb

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2018
Messages
616
Out of the UK, Frankfurt Airport is fun. The local trains are one level below ground and the high speed trains are in another station with tracks at ground level, accessed from the level above that. Confounded by the signage not wanting you to cross the road (at ground level) between Terminal 1 and the two stations.

I can't think of many reasons why one would need to make that interchange TBH unless you were staying at Gateway Gardens perhaps? If you were travelling from say Mainz to Cologne it would be almost as quick to get a direct train rather than backtracking and in most other scenarios you might as well just go via Frankfurt Hbf.

Munich Hbf is also a massive station and you have a very long distance to walk if you come in on either the regional Innsbruck/Salzburg trains or the Tutzing/Garmisch ones.

In terms of other foreign examples I would say Kyoto is the most daunting Japanese station as it is very confusing/daunting for first time users.
 
Last edited:

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
I totally agree about Stratford. As I was reading through the thread I was wondering if someone would mention it.
My thoughts? Stratford - Arrrrrrgh!

I also have a complete distaste for Plymouth. Not because it's confusing but that it's a horrid station.
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
982
Certainly not the worst, but I recall finding Wolverhampton a bit of a confusing faff to navigate.

The older footbridge - directly as you exit the concourse on Platform 1 - only serves Platforms 1, 2 and 3. So if you require the elusive Platform 4, you've got to walk all the way down Platform 1 to join the newer footbridge which just so happens to serve all platforms.

Caught me out the first time, especially as I hadn't realised there was a second footbridge.

Since the new station building was built, the "old" footbridge is no longer directly as you exit the barriers onto platform 1. I'd say the "new" footbridge (to the left) and the "old" footbridge (to the right) are roughly equal distances from the barriers.

If one thing is confusing about Wolverhampton to people who are not used to it, it's the locations of the bay platforms 5 and (should you ever need it) 6, which are at opposite ends of platform... 1.
 

Minstral25

Established Member
Joined
10 Sep 2009
Messages
1,967
Location
Surrey
Ha you've beat me!

Gatwick has always been a pain and continues to, as you've said not all platforms available from all platforms as wells the added stress of overcrowding on narrow platforms, the always busy Platform 4 making Victoria services practically unbearable and too busy.

Also with the added mood an darkness of the station it just generally makes it unlikeable to change. I would rather go north to East Croydon than Gatwick Airport.

As a regular user of Gatwick I agree with both of you. When reconfigured it will be excellent for Airport passengers, but I suspect those of us on the Redhill lines will still find it a nightmare as our trains will still arrive at 1-2 which have had no work on, so remain narrow, gloomy and with limited access at one end only. At least there will be additional access from 3 as its attachment to 4 means they have installed extra escalators which may help.

Also on Brighton Line East Croydon is a hellish place. Really steep stairs on the footbridge that wear my old legs out quickly, plus bad signage so you never quite know where your train will arrive and the buffeting from the hundreds of commuters trying to change there. Awful place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top