• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations more than 1 change away from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
Apologies if this has been done before

In the current timetable, which UK mainland stations are more than 1 change away from London, or to put it another way, require the use of 3 trains or more to get to any station with London in the title

Foot/bus interchanges across a town/city are classed as a change for this quiz (so might lead to quite a few from around Glasgow!).

Also included as a change are interchanges between high level/low level stations (such as Retford).

Ones I can think of:

- Reddish South/Denton (require a change at Guide Bridge for Manc Piccadily, or at Staylbridge for Leeds)
- Most stations on the line between Clitheroe and Bolton (except for Bolton and Blackburn) - require a change at Blackburn for Preston or Leeds, or a change at Salford Central for Manchester Piccadilly. Or a change at Bolton for Preston, I suppose!

Any more?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
It has been done before and the main one that sticks out from memory was Cardiff Bay.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
I can't think of a single station in Scotland off the top of my head that can't reach London in > 1 change
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I can't think of a single station in Scotland off the top of my head that can't reach London in > 1 change

There's nothing I can think of around Edinburgh and none on the Fife Circle, none between Edinburgh and Glasgow, Aberdeen or Inverness either.
I think the WHL must be the closest with only the sleepers.
 

bradders1983

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2010
Messages
692
Location
Sheffield
I guess Ashton under Lyne in Manchester qualifies.

To get to London, you would need to:

- change at Staylbridge for Leeds or Manchester Piccadilly
- change at Huddersfield for Wakefield Westgate or Leeds
- change at Manchester Victoria and cross the city to Manchester Piccadilly

Unless Grand Central use Huddersfield and I have missed that?
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I'm sure some Stalybridge > Manchester Victoria services go through to Liverpool, so if so Ashton can be reached from Euston by changing at Lime Street.

Do stations between Kirkby and Wigan Wallgate have any through services to Manchester Piccadilly, or do they all go to Victoria? If they all go to Victoria then I guess these places would be more than 1 change away (although in practice the walk from Wallgate to North Western is hardly longer than walking from one side of some large stations to the other).
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Stations beyond Nunthorpe on the Whitby line.

Ryde Pier Head, Ryde Esplanade, Ryde St Johns Road, Brading, Sandown, Lake and Shanklin ;)

All stations on the Merseyrail Northern Lines require a change at Moorfields to get to Lime Street, or at Southport to get to Manchester Piccadilly, or at Ormskirk to get to Preston, or at Liverpool South Parkway to get to Crewe. Phew!
 
Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
or at Liverpool South Parkway to get to Crewe. Phew!
That's a good list, but the majority of those trips would be better to connect at Ruuncorn (no platform changing for restricted mobility customers).
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
How would you get to Runcorn?
How wouldn't you go from Liverpool South Parkway to Crewe via Runcorn? I'm just saying that for Liverpool South Parkway to Euston, it's more practical to change at Runcorn.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
How wouldn't you go from Liverpool South Parkway to Crewe via Runcorn? I'm just saying that for Liverpool South Parkway to Euston, it's more practical to change at Runcorn.

Ah. I see. An irrelevance ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top