• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: stations busier at the weekend than in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,755
Location
Glasgow
I'd say Newton (Lanarkshire) seeing as it's a purely residential area and most weekend traffic would be travelling into Glasgow for shopping with weekday traffic being commuters but due to covid that may change. There are almost no shops in the area and poor bus links but a good train link. I'd imagine with WFH still in place the station won't be that busy on weekdays compared to weekends
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,333
London Underground's Camden Town has a very high usage on a Sunday (normally), that owing to the design of the station, it is exit only from lunchtime until early evening.

I don't know if nearby Chalk Farm and Mornington Crescent have an increased usage on Sundays as those are the only nearby stations that can be used to enter the Underground system.
The TfL figures I based this on were for entries, the weekend Camden exits are somewhat different, but although Saturday exits are much higher than weekdays, Sunday exits are surprisingly not, although nearly double the entries. And Chalk Farm (which I always have used coming home from the Sunday market) is less than weekdays for both in and out.
 

CEN60

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2018
Messages
299
Alex Hynes (Scotrail/NetworkRail) who heads up the "alliance" in Scotland gave a presentation to the Glasgow PWI recently and showed a slide with the effect covid had on footfall etc - he indicated that when the 1st lockdown eased Scotrail's largest passenger numbers occurred at the weekend. Interestingly he mentioned they were looking at season tickets that were limited to certain days in the week - and also there was a consideration as to whether there would be "peak" fares in the future!
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Anywhere serving a sports venue. I'd suggest Falmer can be quite busy when Brighton play and students heading home. But might still attract a reasonable M-F flow.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
Not surprised hardly anyone uses Chapelton - there’s virtually nothing in the surrounding area. It’s almost a private station for the house pictures in the photos.
The only time I’ve used the station was on a Sunday and two others also got off. The guard was surprised and said ‘people will start talking’. :lol:
Umberleigh one stop down is quite well used, there always seems to be people boarding or alighting there. I guess it acts as an unofficial parkway for Bideford and the surrounding area. The next nearest stations at Chapelton and Portsmouth Arms have an extremely minimal service in comparison and Kings Nympton isn’t much better...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
The only time I’ve used the station was on a Sunday and two others also got off. The guard was surprised and said ‘people will start talking’. :lol:
Umberleigh one stop down is quite well used, there always seems to be people boarding or alighting there. I guess it acts as an unofficial parkway for Bideford and the surrounding area. The next nearest stations at Chapelton and Portsmouth Arms have an extremely minimal service in comparison and Kings Nympton isn’t much better...

At least Portsmouth Arms has a nearby pub and IIRC had some extra calls on a Sunday back when the line was every 2 hours
 

davetheguard

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
1,939
At least Portsmouth Arms has a nearby pub and IIRC had some extra calls on a Sunday back when the line was every 2 hours

I've got off there twice: both on a Sunday in 2017 when it had four pairs of trains, which was twice the weekday offering. As can be seen, it is 200 and a half miles from Waterloo. These pictures of the station & pub were taken then; anyone know what the Pullman coach is doing there?

DSC09054.JPGDSC09058.JPGDSC09105.JPGDSC09108.JPGDSC09110.JPG
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
I've got off there twice: both on a Sunday in 2017 when it had four pairs of trains, which was twice the weekday offering. As can be seen, it is 200 and a half miles from Waterloo. These pictures of the station & pub were taken then; anyone know what the Pullman coach is doing there?

View attachment 87795View attachment 87796View attachment 87797View attachment 87798View attachment 87799
I believe the coach belongs to a railway enthusiast who lives in the area.

I’ve used the station about 4 times, twice on a Sunday and twice in the week for the ale trail. It’s in a lovely spot and has been improved in the last couple of years but I’m getting off topic.

Now trains at Barnstaple have a slightly longer turnaround, a more frequent service could probably be provided to these halts Monday-Saturday. Yes, they’re never going to hold huge numbers but put the service there (e.g. 1tp2h) and people will start using them more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top