Gloster
Veteran Member
It means that s/he became completely broke in Baton Rouge, possibly due to something like gambling or other foolish ways of losing money. I don’t know the song or how well that fits it.
I presume that the words mean that they gave up waiting for a freight train they could ride (sneak aboard) and scrounged a lift on a heavy road truck instead.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I presume that the words mean that they gave up waiting for a freight train they could ride (sneak aboard) and scrounged a lift on a heavy road truck instead.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Flagged is what I remember. I only know the song from hearing people singing it in pubs. If someone thumbed a ride in a truck would they refer to it as a 'diesel'? Its not a common word for describing a truck. However the the reference to windscreen wipers and being with the driver suggest its a truck rather than a train.
What does, 'busted flat in Baton Rouge' mean? The flat was busted? They had to get out of Baton Rouge? Reached the end as in exhausted? Does it mean a flat tyre? Why would you wait for a train if you had a flat tyre? Would you not try and get it fixed?
To me the song brings to mind a picture of the City of New Orleans train from Chicago stopping at a flagstop in Louisiana. (Although that particular train doesn't go through Baton Rouge!)
