• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Smallest or strangest station a Pendolino has called at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
Some errors on here that need clearing up.

Lichfield is long enough for an 11 car pendo and doesn't need SDO in there.

Flint isn't allowed a 10 car voyager stop without locking a set out. (Even though there is a sign). Only 5 cars are booked to stop there. Done it once with a 10 car and had to lock one out . Same happens at Prestatyn which is even more bizarre as it is clearly long enough to take 10 with ease.

Most unusual place I've seen a pendo stopped was stechford on the back platform. Fatality had occured further up, power was off, so it was agreed to open some doors for ventilation and allow some passengers to leave. Also seen 2 stopped at Tring,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,494
Location
Yorkshire
Although it takes a full set, Sandwell and Dudley strikes me as an odd place to call Pendolinos - they look a little out of place at such a relatively small station!

They are also due to terminate at Liverpool South Parkway during the blockade of Lime Street - that will require SDO

Some years ago there was an incident of some kind that isolated the WCML, cutting it somewhere north of Tring. A couple of 321s and a couple of Pendolinos were left south of it. The Pendolinos were therefore used to operate a Tring stopping service.

So, they have called at all stations from Euston to Tring. I guess single-door must have been used at Apsley and Kings Langley as I think they had 8-car platforms at the time.

Just found an old uk.railway thread referring to it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.railway/3GfsA-7beig

Recognise a name on that thread ;)
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,741
Location
West Riding
Couldn't the answer be on the routes where Pendolinos have been dragged? Ie North Wales Coast? Have they been dragged over the S&C or line through Dumfries?
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Couldn't the answer be on the routes where Pendolinos have been dragged? Ie North Wales Coast? Have they been dragged over the S&C or line through Dumfries?

I think they used to call at Blackburn during diversions via the Settle and Carlisle line but I don't think diversions via the Settle and Carlisle line has happened for a number of years. The Pendolinos were obviously dragged along the line as its not electrified.

I don't think the Glasgow and South Western line is cleared for Voyagers so I don't think Pendolinos have ever been that way. I know the Cumbrian Coast Line isn't cleared for most rolling stock and Class 158s aren't allowed on that line so I know Pendolinos won't be cleared for that line.
 

driver_m

Established Member
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
2,248
Although it takes a full set, Sandwell and Dudley strikes me as an odd place to call Pendolinos - they look a little out of place at such a relatively small station!

They are also due to terminate at Liverpool South Parkway during the blockade of Lime Street - that will require SDO



Recognise a name on that thread ;)

LSP is being extended on p4 so shouldn't be using SDO.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Although it takes a full set, Sandwell and Dudley strikes me as an odd place to call Pendolinos - they look a little out of place at such a relatively small station!

I have always found Sandwell and Dudley's calling pattern odd as Virgin Trains stop there but CrossCountry, the Liverpool London Midland services and Arriva Trains Wales don't.

At the same time some Liverpool services stop at Cosley and some stop at Smethwick Galton Bridge along with Arriva Trains Wales but Virgin Trains stop at neither of these stations.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,326
I think they used to call at Blackburn during diversions via the Settle and Carlisle line but I don't think diversions via the Settle and Carlisle line has happened for a number of years. The Pendolinos were obviously dragged along the line as its not electrified.

I don't think the Glasgow and South Western line is cleared for Voyagers so I don't think Pendolinos have ever been that way. I know the Cumbrian Coast Line isn't cleared for most rolling stock and Class 158s aren't allowed on that line so I know Pendolinos won't be cleared for that line.

Years since last Settle and Carlisle diversion maybe even 10 years .
The pendos are cleared via Kilmarnock , winter before last was mostly voyagers on the Glasgow to Carlisle via Killie but i think there was odd 390 in there .
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Years since last Settle and Carlisle diversion maybe even 10 years .

I think there was on in 2011 but I don't recall any since then. Back in the days of loco hauled stock it was common for trains to have an engine change which doesn't happen any more.
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
I have always found Sandwell and Dudley's calling pattern odd as Virgin Trains stop there but CrossCountry, the Liverpool London Midland services and Arriva Trains Wales don't.

At the same time some Liverpool services stop at Cosley and some stop at Smethwick Galton Bridge along with Arriva Trains Wales but Virgin Trains stop at neither of these stations.

Sandwell and Dudley is, essentially, a "Parkway station" which is why Virgin stop. But it is only two platforms, on a busy stretch of line, I guess there just isn't room for more to call, but I think it is odd XC don't stop.

Cosley is just a local station, so VTWC and XC will not stop there (XC never did when Liverpool services were theirs)

Galton Bridge is just a local station too really, it is just that you can interchange with another line, but I expect the requirement isn't great, and most people would rather get to Birmingham faster by not stopping.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top