• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: services which only call at unmanned stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Well, you couldn't include the T&W Metro; Central Station, Gateshead, Manors, St James, Monument and Haymarket are all staffed. I think Piccadilly on Metrolink is staffed, I think Nottingham Railway Station on the NET is staffed. The Supertram would count. The Beckenham Junction to Croydon loop of Tramlink service counts.

As for metro services down South, they all tend to be staffed at one end (which is usually a major London Terminus) or have connections with the London Overground, where all stations are staffed. Bromley North branch might count? I know SE don't staff most of their stations most of the day.

Bromley N was staffed part time last time I looked, and I imagine Grove Park is too!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
glbotu said:
I think Piccadilly on Metrolink is staffed
If you're talking purely about the Metrolink part of the station, then I don't believe it is. I've certainly never seen staff there, other than the odd driver.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,711
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
If you're talking purely about the Metrolink part of the station, then I don't believe it is. I've certainly never seen staff there, other than the odd driver.

No Metrolink station has permanent Metrolink staff. There may be other staff there (e.g. railway staff at shared stations) but they are irrelevant to Metrolink, the concept is the German one of TVMs, PFs and essentially no customer service staff on the ground.
 

Scotty

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2009
Messages
463
Location
Boston, Lincs
If you're talking purely about the Metrolink part of the station, then I don't believe it is. I've certainly never seen staff there, other than the odd driver.

You often get ticket sellers on days when Manchester United are at home, same at Altrincham.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
There are quite a few lines such as the Matlock Branch Line where only one station is staffed.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,532
There are quite a few lines such as the Matlock Branch Line where only one station is staffed.

The other ones I can think of with just one station staffed are Machynlleth - Pwllheli, Liskeard - Looe, Par - Newquay, Truro - Falmouth Docks, Plymouth - Gunnislake, The Severn Beach line and also The Cardiff Bay line, if that counts. :p
 

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Joined
29 Sep 2016
Messages
3,414
The other ones I can think of with just one station staffed are Machynlleth - Pwllheli, Liskeard - Looe, Par - Newquay, Truro - Falmouth Docks, Plymouth - Gunnislake, The Severn Beach line and also The Cardiff Bay line, if that counts. :p

Newquay staffed in summer!
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
It was a Saturday when I was last there, so no! But I hadn't realised there were actually till staff there Mon-Fri. My bad!

Most Merseyrail stations are staffed first train to last. Ellesmere Port is one of the exception but is staffed weekday mornings until around 14:00
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
The other ones I can think of with just one station staffed are Machynlleth - Pwllheli, Liskeard - Looe, Par - Newquay, Truro - Falmouth Docks, Plymouth - Gunnislake, The Severn Beach line and also The Cardiff Bay line, if that counts. :p

Machynlleth-Pwllheli has two staffed stations - Machynlleth and Barmouth
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,532
Machynlleth-Pwllheli has two staffed stations - Machynlleth and Barmouth

I didn't think Barmouth station itself was staffed, I thought the tourist information office occupy one of the old station buildings?
 

Richard1960

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2012
Messages
278
Location
Harlow
Norwich to Sheringham Norfolk all unmanned after leaving Norwich.

Salhouse-Wroxham Hoveton-Worstead-North Walsham-Gunton- Roughton Road -Cromer-Runton-Sheringham.
 
Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
I didn't think Barmouth station itself was staffed, I thought the tourist information office occupy one of the old station buildings?

You're right - it appears the NR site hasn't been updated!
 
Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
If you're talking purely about the Metrolink part of the station, then I don't believe it is. I've certainly never seen staff there, other than the odd driver.

It's not staffed but it (and other "busy" stops) occasionally have staff hanging around to assist people with ticket purchases etc.
 

RJ21

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2016
Messages
125
Conwy valley south of Llandudno Junction is unstaffed, do any services still start at the Junction or are they all started from Llandudno? Also on the Welsh theme, is Bidston staffed? I know there are staff at the Wrexham end of the Borderlands.
 

berneyarms

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
3,114
Location
Dublin
Conwy valley south of Llandudno Junction is unstaffed, do any services still start at the Junction or are they all started from Llandudno? Also on the Welsh theme, is Bidston staffed? I know there are staff at the Wrexham end of the Borderlands.

Two start at the Junction, but isn't that a staffed station?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,309
Location
Bolton
Conwy valley south of Llandudno Junction is unstaffed, do any services still start at the Junction or are they all started from Llandudno? Also on the Welsh theme, is Bidston staffed? I know there are staff at the Wrexham end of the Borderlands.

Yes. In common with almost every Merseyrail managed station, Bidston is staffed from first train to last. The exceptions are Bache, Capenhurst, Overpool and Little Sutton, which are unstaffed.
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
Is West Ealing staffed, perhaps the Greenford branch could be a contender?
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Is West Ealing staffed, perhaps the Greenford branch could be a contender?

West Ealing appears to be staffed 0535-2050.

I thought this was going to be an unusual situation, but I never imagined it would be unique! Maybe we will have to wait until Bere Alston to Gunnislake meets the criteria!
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
West Ealing appears to be staffed 0535-2050.

I thought this was going to be an unusual situation, but I never imagined it would be unique! Maybe we will have to wait until Bere Alston to Gunnislake meets the criteria!

As the point has been made, its the origin and junction stations that are balling it up.
 

RJ21

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2016
Messages
125
Llandudno Junction is staffed but the question a page or so appeared to be modified to allow a single staffed station. I can think of plenty that fit in to that category.

Can't say I had noticed staff at Bidston on my, so far, only visit. I've been to the other end of the line a few times.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Yes. In common with almost every Merseyrail managed station, Bidston is staffed from first train to last. The exceptions are Bache, Capenhurst, Overpool and Little Sutton, which are unstaffed.

As is Aughton Park
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,882
Not officially. Regularly "Mobile" RPIs with ticket machines though, like several other "unstaffed" stations in West Yorkshire such as Batley and Mirfield.

There are also 2 members of staff selling and checking tickets at Knottingley on weekday mornings.

Sometimes the Jehovah's Witnesses turn up too!
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,016
Location
here to eternity
Is West Ealing staffed, perhaps the Greenford branch could be a contender?

West Ealing appears to be staffed 0535-2050.

I thought this was going to be an unusual situation, but I never imagined it would be unique! Maybe we will have to wait until Bere Alston to Gunnislake meets the criteria!

And of course Greenford itself is staffed anyway so no the Greenford service does not count.
 

DelW

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2015
Messages
6,024
Shanklin, at least, is listed as having a ticket office
The Shanklin ticket office was open when I was there last month, though most pax seemed to buy their tickets from the guard.
There's also a travel centre at Ryde Esplanade, though I don't know whether it's staffed by the railway or another organisation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top