Which passenger services are scheduled to pass the most stations between consecutive calls without stopping? I'd like to focus on regular routes in the UK, but engineering work diversions and international services are fine to include as well. To count as a skipped station, it must be one with regular, at least weekly if not year-round passenger services, which is neither a full, request nor pick-up / set-down stop on the service doing the skipping.
My first thought was the Caledonian Sleeper, followed by nonstop Euston to Warrington services.
I think the Night Riviera gets a relatively low 13 (normal route being via Newbury and not Westbury or Castle Cary?). The remaining number of Bristol Parkway superfasts skip 21, and the Great Malvern Oxford nonstop service skips 22 (I think it bypasses Didcot Parkway), so not calling at outer suburban stations seems to help for this purpose. Finally, Winchester to Waterloo nonstop services skip 23, and Ipswich to Stratford – I can't see any nonstop Ipswich to Liverpool Street services, and Manningtree or Colchester to there would be tied or fewer – is another 21 skipped.
My first thought was the Caledonian Sleeper, followed by nonstop Euston to Warrington services.
- Watford Junction – Carlisle: 30
- London Euston – Warrington Bank Quay: 26 (+ 13 on Watford DC lines which I don't think have WCML platforms and am unsure of counting)
- London Euston – Birmingham International: 20 (+ 13)
- Preston – Stirling (northbound) / Falkirk Grahamston (southbound) / Inverkeithing: 17 / 16 / 15 (all counting Edinburgh Haymarket and Waverley as one each)
I think the Night Riviera gets a relatively low 13 (normal route being via Newbury and not Westbury or Castle Cary?). The remaining number of Bristol Parkway superfasts skip 21, and the Great Malvern Oxford nonstop service skips 22 (I think it bypasses Didcot Parkway), so not calling at outer suburban stations seems to help for this purpose. Finally, Winchester to Waterloo nonstop services skip 23, and Ipswich to Stratford – I can't see any nonstop Ipswich to Liverpool Street services, and Manningtree or Colchester to there would be tied or fewer – is another 21 skipped.
Last edited:
