• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Rolling Stock in unusual locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
6,021
There are currently 3 daily return services on the Tyne Valley Line that are diagrammed to use ScotRail 156s (all work through to/from Glasgow Central)
Sadly, reducing to just one a day from the new timetable this month.

Back in the day (i.e. before Metro extended to Sunderland), a visiting ScotRail 156 would often make a few evening journeys between Newcastle and Sunderland.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
The Mole Valley has seen some weird stuff over the years. GTR managed to send a couple of purple ex-FCC 377s on an ECS move down there - via Horsham etc.! There are some photos somewhere on t'internet. Better still was when they did Turbostar brake testing down that line... (don't worry, the track's already broken...).

A Colas Class 47 route learner (light loco) through Reigate was also a novelty enjoyed a couple of years back. Stuff like that usually sticks to the mainline - with MPVs running the RHTTs on that bit of the Downs (and the odd steam excursion).

AIUI a couple of 37s turned up at Crystal Palace to rescue 378s at one point during the winter just gone.

Then there's Caroline...
 

dubscottie

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2010
Messages
1,013
2x class 507 or 508 to Rosyth Dockyard in 1991.

Class 141 & 142 to Inverness about the same time.

I am sure a 325 had a spin up the WHL a few years back as well.
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
Thanks - I hadn't noticed one with SWR branding - will keep a look out.
There has been at least one SWR-liveried unit working this route. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdeaves/37413156454/.

I suppose almost anything going in and out of Doncaster works would count (and no doubt the other works', too).

There's some Underground ex-Jubilee line cars on top of some building near the East London Line north extension.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
There's some Underground ex-Jubilee line cars on top of some building near the East London Line north extension.
There is (or was, not sure if it's still there or not) another ex-Jubilee line car in Sunderland that's used by the Tyne & Wear fire service.

A 2009 stock train was sent to RAF Spadeadam; there's probably not much left of it now! https://www.flickr.com/photos/53911058@N04/5876473093
 

M28361M

Member
Joined
15 May 2014
Messages
684
Location
Liverpool
There is (or was, not sure if it's still there or not) another ex-Jubilee line car in Sunderland that's used by the Tyne & Wear fire service.

Similarly, a couple of ex-Southeastern 508 driving cars ended up in a fire training centre in Seacombe, Wirral. Not even on rails, just standing on the concrete! https://flic.kr/p/MLzk5X
 

dubscottie

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2010
Messages
1,013
That looks like one of the pre-production sets, which I believe were disposed of once the production sets started entering squadron service. Nothing left of it by now, most likely!

Its gone. The SAS blew half it up and I think the other half was used for terrorist bomb research along with a few of the ex Irish Rail international coaches.
 

53703

Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
130
Another one I've just remembered, XC HST set on loan to East Coast very recently. Bet that was an odd sight in Kings Cross!!!
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
That looks like one of the pre-production sets, which I believe were disposed of once the production sets started entering squadron service. Nothing left of it by now, most likely!
I'm surprised they didn't modify the pre-production sets to work in squadron service with the rest of the 2009 stock!

Didn't a 390 make it to wick?
Very unlikely. It's highly unlikely that any EMU has ever been up to Wick.
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
I'm surprised they didn't modify the pre-production sets to work in squadron service with the rest of the 2009 stock!


Very unlikely. It's highly unlikely that any EMU has ever been up to Wick.

Remember it being quoted on Trainspotting Live! So I presume one must've gone up for test purposes
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,882
Remember it being quoted on Trainspotting Live! So I presume one must've gone up for test purposes
I can't decide if you are being serious or not?

Assuming the former, has it occurred to you that someone might have sent in a joke/wind-up to Trainspotting Live?
 

Bringback309s

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2013
Messages
379
I remember about twenty odd years ago, late at night a class 158 (then in original Regional Railways livery) operated a Cardiff to London Paddington service. I was stuck at Abergavenny not knowing how near home I would get at half past seven on a cold wet night - a 158 came in headed for Newport, and when I got on and bought a ticket to London was surprised to be told "stay on this train as its warm to Cardiff and it will turn round and go to London! Sure enough it did, was odd seeing a RR 158 in Paddington!
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
I remember about twenty odd years ago, late at night a class 158 (then in original Regional Railways livery) operated a Cardiff to London Paddington service. I was stuck at Abergavenny not knowing how near home I would get at half past seven on a cold wet night - a 158 came in headed for Newport, and when I got on and bought a ticket to London was surprised to be told "stay on this train as its warm to Cardiff and it will turn round and go to London! Sure enough it did, was odd seeing a RR 158 in Paddington!

A 143 worked it once
 
Joined
10 Jan 2018
Messages
376
I saw a Class 158 in Central Trains livery at Edinburgh Haymarket one Wednesday evening back in June 2001, when I was on a train from Stirling to Edinburgh Waverley with my school friends. Later that evening I also saw a Class 158 in unbranded RR Express livery at Edinburgh Waverley, and I believe it is a Virgin Trains XC unit.

My first time in Edinburgh Waverley station as well!
 

Clansman

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2016
Messages
2,654
Location
Scotland
Sorry to dig up an unused thread, but you could add 91s at Stirling to the list. Single door operation at Falkiri Grahamston must surely be a first?

Aren't they booked on most Stirling services now?

Also worth a shout for the Sleeper out of Queen Street High Level - the first time two CS sleepers have made an advertised passenger call at the same station at the same time (FTW one on the Low Level while the Lowander sits on the High Level).
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,072
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
Not an abnormal location for the TOC (obviously), but quite strange in rolling stock terms, a South Western Railway Class 707 made it down to Southampton a few weeks ago! There are also videos of it at Basingstoke and Southampton Airport Parkway. :)

576CBA2D-0D0F-4F56-B6B9-87D39B9A2697.jpeg

Credits to Ollie Meech on Facebook for the photos, as shown in the screenshot.
 

Doomotron

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2018
Messages
1,427
Location
Kent
I'm pretty sure there's some steam locos in a worker's town in a desert in Chile.
 

BigB

Member
Joined
20 Dec 2018
Messages
343
Location
Scotland
Leaving the ferry at Picton (New Zealand South Island) in the late 90s and finding several Mk2 FO coached in intercity livery in the siding was a bit of a surprise!

Most memorable and still unexplained was 50 011 working a Healey Miles to Garston dock coal train one evening in 1981 - the 50s were just starting to be painted in large livery like the 56s, and we liked to think this was an error but more likely a test run! Certainly never repeated....
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,316
Sorry to dig up an unused thread, but you could add 91s at Stirling to the list. Single door operation at Falkiri Grahamston must surely be a first?

Aren't they booked on most Stirling services now?

Also worth a shout for the Sleeper out of Queen Street High Level - the first time two CS sleepers have made an advertised passenger call at the same station at the same time (FTW one on the Low Level while the Lowander sits on the High Level).

The Stirling terminator is booked a 91 till the 6th of January , surprised they cleared a 91 .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top