• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Railway related murals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
I had recently found out that there is an underpass in Motherwell town centre which shows the route of the West Coast Main Line and some pictures of places along it. Are there any others, especially UK examples and at stations?

 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,644
Location
Hampshire
There are a few dotted around the network, for example:

Basingstoke has this wonderful (but now sadly very out of date and looking worse for wear) mural featuring a 442, painted in the NSE Era:




Falmouth Docks has this mosaic piece:


Gloucester had, though I have a feeling it has now sadly been hidden, a HST on one of it's platform walls as well.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And of course, you also have the (in my opinion, rather gaudy) Murals by Birdget Green in Exeter St Davids, which just features a Mk3. I do think it's time those went to be honest!

 

Attachments

  • 1E9AFE4F-9965-4ADC-B103-079B9B24829E.jpeg
    1E9AFE4F-9965-4ADC-B103-079B9B24829E.jpeg
    942 KB · Views: 44
  • 9DCF62CA-376F-485C-B17E-D70A8E80BD7C.jpeg
    9DCF62CA-376F-485C-B17E-D70A8E80BD7C.jpeg
    870.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 97614652-994E-4759-A7D6-252BD3B371AC.jpeg
    97614652-994E-4759-A7D6-252BD3B371AC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,052
Location
Bristol
Doncaster and Plymouth both used to have murals in the subway.
There's one in the subway on the Bristol - Bath cyclepath at Barrow Rd.
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
As you leave Harwich International station towards the car park there is this on the wall next to the old traincrew signing on point.

20220210_142111.jpg
 

robert thomas

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2019
Messages
347
Location
Neath
Winchfield, Swansea, Newport
 

Attachments

  • IMG_22867.jpg
    IMG_22867.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_54521.jpg
    IMG_54521.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_X0340.JPG
    IMG_X0340.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 43

Devonian

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2019
Messages
219
Location
Totnes
Exeter St David(')s has witty murals on the staircase to the footbridge, depicting the 1990s railway in the style of Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel: for example, God the Father directing the sun and moon is replaced by a uniformed British Rail employee directing passengers.
 

Furrysquid

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2020
Messages
37
Location
Erdington
I had recently found out that there is an underpass in Motherwell town centre which shows the route of the West Coast Main Line and some pictures of places along it. Are there any others, especially UK examples and at stations?

This is just round the corner from Birmingham Snow Hill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Snow_Hill
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,540
Location
LBK
There is one by the canal at Wolverton:

 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,292
There are a few dotted around the network, for example:

Basingstoke has this wonderful (but now sadly very out of date and looking worse for wear) mural featuring a 442, painted in the NSE Era:




Falmouth Docks has this mosaic piece:


Gloucester had, though I have a feeling it has now sadly been hidden, a HST on one of it's platform walls as well.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

And of course, you also have the (in my opinion, rather gaudy) Murals by Birdget Green in Exeter St Davids, which just features a Mk3. I do think it's time those went to be honest!

Thanks for some good pics - that NSE one at Basingstoke is in a bad way - I hope the restoration mentioned in the pic comes to pass
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,644
Location
Hampshire
Thanks for some good pics - that NSE one at Basingstoke is in a bad way - I hope the restoration mentioned in the pic comes to pass
So do i, I walk past it nearly every day on my way into work and it is a shame to see it in such a state. Though it will be interesting to see what happens to the 442 during any potential restoration. Given the circumstances of the last year or two, it may not be very wise of SWR to update it to one of their liveried units!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,292
There's a similar sort of thing on Middlesbrough station.
And another example of the same just inside the entrance to the NRM in York.
Yes, several NER ones exist at stations - read an arycile about them once and how many were thought to survive of the original total - quite a few I think.

There is an LBSCR equivalent tiled map at the 'other' Victoria Station. I think that is the only LBSCR one that exists.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It may not entirely satisfy the spirit of the thread but I've always been fond of the one at what used to be the entrance to Kings Cross Thameslink:
I'd forgotten that - excellent!

Tiled murals have potential longevity if owners are able to care for them - but not easy to retain if redevelopment happens. I wonder if this is still there - I realise I have no idea what has happened to the street level buildings at the disused KX-TL station.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,363
Location
Yorkshire
Batley and Mirfield both have murals depicting trains, I'll try and get a couple of photos tomorrow.
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I wonder if this is still there - I realise I have no idea what has happened to the street level buildings at the disused KX-TL station.
Thankfully yes! The street-level buildings were kept as a weekdays-only entrance and exit from the Underground station, though I'm not sure what the arrangement is now.

Here's a lovely (but sadly very small) photo of it from when Tim Dunn visited in 2016:
img_4828.jpg

(from https://web.archive.org/web/2019040...e-hidden-tunnels-beneath-kings-cross-station/)
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,292

Peter0124

Established Member
Joined
20 Nov 2016
Messages
2,753
Location
Glasgow
Also to add to the post, there's one of a 380 at Paisley Gilmour Street station, and I believe I've seen steam train artwork on the roof of the Trafford Centre a while ago before.
 
Joined
29 Sep 2010
Messages
205
As mentioned earlier, Wolverhampton station does indeed have a mural. Here's a part of it, featuring some of the city's more celebrated residents setting off on their travels.

2323826012_e8e804eec3_o.jpg

(Credit Matt Hyde / Flickr)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top