• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Palindromic locos/units in service

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
That’s a good one.
I used to like 47474 ‘Sir Rowland Hill’. I don’t know who he was (I’ll look him up after I’ve written this), but there was something about that number that was satisfying.
Other frequent palindrome locomotives down my way were 33033 and 50005...

I always love seeing 323232 in the morning on my way to work :D
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
Already mentioned but 142014 has 55555. Withdrawn 142059 had 55755 in it. 143614 has 55655. 144019 has 55855 as a centre car. Other vehicle numbers from DMU’s I can think of are 52225 (150225), 57775 (158885) and 57875 (159003).
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
That’s a good one.
I used to like 47474 ‘Sir Rowland Hill’. I don’t know who he was (I’ll look him up after I’ve written this), but there was something about that number that was satisfying.
Other frequent palindrome locomotives down my way were 33033 and 50005...
he reformed the post office and invested the postage stamp
 

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, always had a soft spot for 150150. I know it would be another thread but there can't be many units where the class is repeated like this with no other numbers.
320320 & 321321. Also there used to be 317317 until it was renumbered.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,878
320320 & 321321. Also there used to be 317317 until it was renumbered.
VEP (42)3423

Plenty of possibilities in other countries, especially in Belgium (4 digit numbers e.g. 1212, 1313, 1818, 1919, 2020, 2121 etc etc) and Germany (101101 (which is also palindromic, trying to stay on topic!), 103103, 112112, 120120, 143143, 218218 and so on)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top