Backroom_boy
Member
'Inside Knowledge' may sound too grand but I enjoy anything that 'beats the crowds'; current favourite is using the footbridge at King's Cross to get to my trains before the mass of muggles using the ground level route.
Likewise, getting the train from somewhere on the Airport branch if heading towards Preston for example. Avoids the busy Platform 14.When travelling from Manchester towards Sheffield using EMR or TPE get on the train at Oxford Road to get a seat before the crowds board at Piccadilly. I almost always do this when travelling from Manchester to Nottingham.
They certainly are. Three occasions in the past fortnight for me. Have you thought about joining at Penzance or Plymouth (as applicable)?Not one I've done, but if you have the time, maybe getting a northbound CrossCountry service from Wakefield instead of Leeds? The problem there is that I suspect many such services are already full and standing by Wakefield.
but at least you'd have first dibs on any seats that get freed at Leeds.They certainly are. Three occasions in the past fortnight for me. Have you thought about joining at Penzance or Plymouth (as applicable)?
Indeed.Probably a bit obvious, but I always try to be at the best set of doors for the exit, so I don't get stuck behind slow walkers.
On Avanti, I think they assign reservations to coach D last, so if it's not a super busy train (check the reservation seat map), Coach D will probably be quieter than C, G or U.
I've seen 9 car services where A, B, E and F are fully reserved and D had about 5 people in it.
Not many people seem to realise there are toilets on the platforms at Sheffield - they tend to be much less busy (and cleaner!) than the ones on the concourse, where there is often a queue.
This is a good tip; anyone know how LNER bookings fill up by coach?On Avanti, I think they assign reservations to coach D last, so if it's not a super busy train (check the reservation seat map), Coach D will probably be quieter than C, G or U.
I've seen 9 car services where A, B, E and F are fully reserved and D had about 5 people in itit.th
That used to work very well when travelling north from Nottingham with an easy same platform change at Chesterfield. XC used to recommend this and most journey planners used to give a change at Chesterfield rather than Sheffield. Now that XC have significantly cut the number of trains calling at Chesterfield this no longer works forcing passengers to have to change platforms at Sheffield and has made the Sheffield call even more busy. Many XC trains now seem to have an extended wait at Derby now instead of the Chesterfield call.Not the most obscure – CrossCountry's own map recommends, or used to recommend, it – but the first one which comes to mind is changing at Birmingham International, Wolverhampton, Derby or Cheltenham instead of Birmingham New Street when possible.
'Inside Knowledge' may sound too grand but I enjoy anything that 'beats the crowds'; current favourite is using the footbridge at King's Cross to get to my trains before the mass of muggles using the ground level route.
That also often used to be the case on the dedicated Gatwick Express train when departing from London Victoria.Quite simple one would be boarding at the front of the train at Manchester Airport. Everybody piles in the back coach so it's full and standing, with fresh air at the front
Similarly, the underpass at Waterloo, which - aside from the evening peak - is pretty much deserted for most of the day.'Inside Knowledge' may sound too grand but I enjoy anything that 'beats the crowds'; current favourite is using the footbridge at King's Cross to get to my trains before the mass of muggles using the ground level route.
Check to see if the TPE service is a 3 or 6 car, then move down the platform away from the stsirs/entrance at Doncaster or Sheffield. Usually get a seat, if not a table even on the busy services.